You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

List your favourite American Bands (for the US tournament)

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Maybe he’ll allow fucking Fleetwood Mac into that one. 

They get a bye to the finals, which Stig is going to personally oversee in 2022. Why the fuck he saw fit to leave Ladysmith Black Mambazo out, I don't know. The malingering quim.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Mental that people are bitching about Fleetwood Mac when Hendrix hasn't made either tournament.

The Pretenders would have for either as well. I would throw those in the ROTW debacle.

This is all a warm up for the main event - solo artists from anywherez. Anxiously awaiting Robbie Williams getting shut out by Frank Sinatra in the first round. 

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The Pretenders would have for either as well. I would throw those in the ROTW debacle.

This is all a warm up for the main event - solo artists from anywherez. Anxiously awaiting Robbie Williams getting shut out by Frank Sinatra in the first round. 

One of the most American artists I can think of actually turned out to be English when I checked.

Did not see that one coming.

10 hours ago, PestiRed said:

Very male and very white - I guess this forum just likes white boys with guitars culturally appropriating Music evolved from blues and jazz (to be fair this also sums up most of my music collection)

still think the British line up was stronger

Which African American bands do you reckon should have gone in?

I think there were a few shouts for Parliament and Funkadelic, Booker T & The MGs, which probably should have been in there.  But vocal groups and rappers were all left out as they are not "bands" and a lot of the blues and rock'n'roll pioneers were more seen solo artists wouldn't you say? 

Which means no James Brown, Ray Charles, Muddy Waters, Aretha Franklin, etc. etc. etc. as they are not "bands".

Also if we were being proper racists there would be loads of country artists in there.

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I think there were a few shouts for Parliament and Funkadelic, Booker T & The MGs, which probably should have been in there.  But vocal groups and rappers were all left out as they are not "bands" and a lot of the blues and rock'n'roll pioneers were more seen solo artists wouldn't you say? 

Which means no James Brown, Ray Charles, Muddy Waters, Aretha Franklin, etc. etc. etc. as they are not "bands".

Also if we were being proper racists there would be loads of country artists in there.

Funkadelic 

The Meters

Ohio Players

Kool & The Gang

Booker T & The MGs

For starters.

23 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I don’t think we’re being racist, at least I hope not as the list represents the majority of my record collection. As you said, the parameters we set basically favours white guitar groups and we would need a separate competition for vocal groups, duos and individuals with a backing band. Other than the bands you and Mook have mentioned, from the top of my head I’d add Earth Wind & Fire and the Isley Brothers 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

I don’t think we’re being racist, at least I hope not as the list represents the majority of my record collection. As you said, the parameters we set basically favours white guitar groups and we would need a separate competition for vocal groups, duos and individuals with a backing band. Other than the bands you and Mook have mentioned, from the top of my head I’d add Earth Wind & Fire and the Isley Brothers 

Are The Four Tops,The Temptations and The Drifters in there? They should be if not already.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Are The Four Tops,The Temptations and The Drifters in there? They should be if not already.

They slipped by on the vocal group rule, will need a separate competition. I’m including the 70’s version of the Isley Brothers when they expanded and became a band rather than vocal group

The more I think about it, Earth Wind & Fire seems like a massive hole in the list

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PestiRed said:

The Roots obviously, and Hootie and the Blowfish with Darius Rucker as the front man should be in. Cracked Rear Wiew is the 10th best selling album in the US of all time, its a travesty they have been left out.

That one album sold more than 21 million copies, its more than bands like REM during their career.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/62536/20-best-selling-albums-history

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=top_tallies&ttt=T1A#search_section

1 hour ago, PestiRed said:

They slipped by on the vocal group rule, will need a separate competition. I’m including the 70’s version of the Isley Brothers when they expanded and became a band rather than vocal group

The more I think about it, Earth Wind & Fire seems like a massive hole in the list

So multiple vocalists don't count as a 'group?' These rules are getting stranger all the time.

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So multiple vocalists don't count as a 'group?' These rules are getting stranger all the time.

I think the major issue was that there would just be too many groups and would be a nightmare for Stig

@Code The Roots will have to join the Rap/Hip Hop tournament and Hootie are excluded on the more general basis of being shit and the 90’s version of Maroon 5