You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

2 hours ago, The Gaul said:

Pearce was fucking shite too, he was one of the founders of the LFC propaganda machine. Barrett was the last decent LFC reporter at the echo and that was down to him, the rest was a shambles by then.  

It's basically just been a conveyor belt of articles saying how great the club is and downplaying them spending money.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its all controlled now local journalism. There was once a time were a journalist would report unbiased news about the Club, especially in the 70s and 80s.

Now its all about keeping yourself in with the Club to get your access. Even the 'superfan' generation of independent fans that started off by telling it as it is, like TAW and Redmen TV have changed their stance since the Club has given them access to players and manager. FSG are smart cookies when it comes to local media.

Access is everything.

Back in the 70s and 80s, if you weren’t at the game then the photos and match report in the paper were often the closest you’d get. Fanzines were becoming a thing, but the quality was wildly varied - and unlike websites it was far more time consuming to bounce around different ones to see what was worth reading. Even filler, such as end of season reviews, had so much more cachet in The Echo when they weren’t duplicated hundreds of times over by every knobber with a YouTube account. 

Local and regional papers are dying now. Any paper with a decent football team has a huge advantage over their rivals in towns and cities which don’t - but football clubs know that that’s the case. And therefore papers are forced to tow the line at every step, or lose the access which keeps them alive. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ron B said:

Access is everything.

Back in the 70s and 80s, if you weren’t at the game then the photos and match report in the paper were often the closest you’d get. Fanzines were becoming a thing, but the quality was wildly varied - and unlike websites it was far more time consuming to bounce around different ones to see what was worth reading. Even filler, such as end of season reviews, had so much more cachet in The Echo when they weren’t duplicated hundreds of times over by every knobber with a YouTube account. 

Local and regional papers are dying now. Any paper with a decent football team has a huge advantage over their rivals in towns and cities which don’t - but football clubs know that that’s the case. And therefore papers are forced to tow the line at every step, or lose the access which keeps them alive. 

Spot on!

My favourite part of the Liverpool Echo is when you see a link to something LFC related on Twitter, click it, and get a big list of absolute shite from other sources with vague LFC connections and the one you clicked for may or may not be included somewhere. This is, of course, obscured with absolutely horrendous pop ups, including the recent one begging for donations to help keep quality local journalism alive. 

1 hour ago, Ron B said:

Access is everything.

To be honest I think it goes beyond football. Some of the county's so called leading political journalists are no more than mouthpieces for certain politicians, parties or advisors. We are sadly entering a period where serious and useful journalism and comment is over and it happens some people just have jobs doing Twitter, echoing the words of some people they know and would like them to pass off as news. It doesn't matter if it's a sports reporter from the echo or the BBC's political editor, they're no more than some skanky kid influencer saying whatever they're being paid to say, it just happens those who work for the echo or the BBC keep their jobs by sharing this "news" instead of acting directly on behalf of the people they're mouthpieces for. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Trumo said:

If the Echo is as bad as you say it is, why do you lot still read it?

Don't know anyone that does to be honest, unless they want to read about Holly Willoughby (still not sure on the Liverpool connection) the website is mindblowingly busy too, it could crash Norad. Bingo ads, clickbait ads, videos, graphics, it's a fucking nightmare.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Trumo said:

If the Echo is as bad as you say it is, why do you lot still read it?

I haven't bought it for years. Someone came round our area last year door to door trying to get me to subscribe to it. I point blank refused saying it makes Liverpool out to be some pre Batman Gotham city crime capital, most of the stories are just stolen from other papers, they never put any pressure on the lack of leadership or ability to create jobs. The woman just said "ok" and left.

I don't read any of the footy now, whenever I look for any Liverpool transfer news you see a list of headlines and just know the articles are bootlicking club propaganda. If you clicked on any of them they'd have more adverts on it than an F1 car. 

The only good or amusing thing about the Echo is the Facebook page where they put up stories about people being given harsh sentences for parking fines or other mundane crimes then all the comments instantly compare them to the sentences paedophiles get. 

• Upvote 2

If you click on the echo website you need to wait half an hour for it to calm down before you can click on an article. Easily one of the worst websites in the world to try and use. They also have a begging advert at the bottom asking for donations and it won't let you click off it the first few goes. Twats 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 19/07/2020 at 16:33, The Gaul said:

We are sadly entering a period where serious and useful journalism and comment is over and it happens some people just have jobs doing Twitter, echoing the words of some people they know and would like them to pass off as news. It doesn't matter if it's a sports reporter from the echo or the BBC's political editor

I can say, with some inside knowledge, that this is entirely accurate. 
I’d also add that national newspapers and smaller locals are just as screwed; have a look at the Daily Mail (one of the few nationals whose website makes a profit but it’s all just shameless clickbait) or a paper from anywhere outside of the biggest dozen or so cities in England - I’ll count the likes of The Yorkshire Post as being city papers for these purposes although frankly I think that even titles like The Post have declined horrendously under their current ownership and management. 
I’d happily give chapter and verse on this (it’s basically a case of owners being too greedy and also too slow to figure out the internet). But if anyone is interested in the subject, this is a good starter: https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/04/the-slow-death-of-modern-journalism

• Upvote 6