You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

It's an election year and I still can't name a single thing that Keir Starmer actually believes in.  His complete lack of principles (or his failure to persuade people that he has any principles) opens him - and Labour - to charges like this.

Screenshot_2024-02-08-07-55-25-96_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Read the words that you posted; then read the words in the article.

There was no enforced segregation; but, recognising that women from that community tend not to attend those events, a female councillor made arrangements to facilitate their attendance. 

Yes, obviously, it would be better if cultural/religious misogyny wasn't so deeply ingrained that women are excluded from political events, but I wouldn't throw the blame at people who are trying to make the effort to include women.  (But maybe I'm just one of those cultists, performing mental gymnastics to defend my political favourites, Jess Phillips and Tom Watson).

The word "enforced" appeared nowhere in my words though.

I don't think politicians should be speaking at sex segregated events, regardless of whether it's enforced, coerced, brainwashed, voluntary, paid or accidental. If Labour's tolerance of such backwards attitudes has run out, then that for me is only a positive thing.

It's an election year and I still can't name a single thing that Keir Starmer actually believes in.  His complete lack of principles (or his failure to persuade people that he has any principles) opens him - and Labour - to charges like this.

Agree but it's kind of working. The Tories are counter punchers as they've got nothing else to say, Sunak's attack lines are now 'doesn't know what a woman is' and 'Jeremy Corbyn'. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium said:

The word "enforced" appeared nowhere in my words though.

I don't think politicians should be speaking at sex segregated events, regardless of whether it's enforced, coerced, brainwashed, voluntary, paid or accidental. If Labour's tolerance of such backwards attitudes has run out, then that for me is only a positive thing.

We've identified one meeting, where a female councillor made arrangements to encourage female participation: you've extrapolated from that to "Labour's tolerance of such backwards attitudes".  You're being disingenuous again.

Worse, you've just connected Labour's widespread loss of support from Muslims (because of increasing anti-Muslim racism in the party and the leadership's support for genocide and apartheid) with an end to what you imagine is Labour's tolerance for misogyny: the obvious implication being that loads of Muslims are turning away from Labour, because they oppose rights for women. That is racist bullshit.

As for the accommodation made at that meeting, Labour's options appear to have been

1. Not have the meeting, and not speak to anyone in that community;

2. Have the meeting without making any adjustments to facilitate women's attendance, knowing that that would result in women being under-represented;

3. Make adjustments to encourage women to attend.

Which would you recommend? And how would your approach improve women's access to democracy?

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Agree but it's kind of working. The Tories are counter punchers as they've got nothing else to say, Sunak's attack lines are now 'doesn't know what a woman is' and 'Jeremy Corbyn'. 

I don't think Starmer's Labour will win the election; I think the Tories will lose it.

I worry that, once the Tory media get into election mode, Labour's poll lead will collapse, because there's no actual substance propping it up.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I don't think Starmer's Labour will win the election; I think the Tories will lose it.

I worry that, once the Tory media get into election mode, Labour's poll lead will collapse, because there's no actual substance propping it up.

Labour are only ahead because of how much the tories have pissed people off. I'm still worried they will fuck Sunak off and Mourdant will swan in and a "new and improved" Tory party will chip away at that lead because as you say, Labour have fuck all of substance that appeals to the voters other than that they aren't this tory party. 

Maybe they already know they'll lose so will keep Sunak in, milk what they can then spend 4 years blaming Labour for the state of the country. 

• Upvote 1

This line of reasoning that Labour are playing some clever game of 4d chess by saying nothing to fool the tories is utter bullshit. The poll lead is almost entirely down to the sorry state of a Conservative party.

Labour are not shy or quiet when making (unpopular) announcements of policies that only favour the rich and wealthy. Cast iron commitments on the top rate of income tax, Corperation tax, Capital gains tax and keeping bankers bonuses just a few in recent weeks  All unpopular, all wrong, all damaging to the country. It's who they are. They've been telling us long enough. 

Onto today's bollocks from the party of the people.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Labour are only ahead because of how much the tories have pissed people off. I'm still worried they will fuck Sunak off and Mourdant will swan in and a "new and improved" Tory party will chip away at that lead because as you say, Labour have fuck all of substance that appeals to the voters other than that they aren't this tory party. 

Maybe they already know they'll lose so will keep Sunak in, milk what they can then spend 4 years blaming Labour for the state of the country. 

They've been trying that since Johnson left, Sunak was the solution to slumping polls when Truss left.

Jeremy Cunt has got a nerve as well, they've spent the last few years telling us why Labours ideas won't work then adopting them following public pressure.

I don't think there's any coming back for this version of the Tory party, they need new blood - it's the same people. Badenoch and Maudunt and all those wankers. They know the game is up which is why loads are jumping ship, and frankly they've got no interest in fixing what they've broken. It's a bust out, and there's nothing left to sell. All they've got left is to salt the soil of public discourse and continue to make us a generally more cold and heartless society. 

Todays Independent. Remember when some 'sniggers' people bought into this one?

20240208_113804.jpg

The people willing to get egg over their own faces defending Starmers lies are little better than the Karen's who defended Johnsons lies over partygate. Its getting to the point where they should be treated with the same amount of scorn.  

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Does that include driving up everyone's mortgage payments and crashing the pension's sector?

A sizeable portion of our electorate are fucking stupid. The problem is that they do not want to be reminded that they are fuckin stupid. They hold their stupidity close, and woe betide anyone who reminds them that their stupidity has given us Austerity light with a Lib/Con coalition, a self harming/self inflicted Brexit decsion enabled by a pig fucking Eton spiv, full fat austerity once the patsies had been removed, a pathalogical narcissistic liar and now another spiv who is so intent on lining the pockets of his rich friends that he would take a torch to what remains of our public services.

This is why so many politicians find it hard to be honest. If they were truly honest, they would say it's your fault you fucking lunatic, you voted for this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Qwikage said:

A sizeable portion of our electorate are fucking stupid. The problem is that they do not want to be reminded that they are fuckin stupid. They hold their stupidity close, and woe betide anyone who reminds them that their stupidity has given us Austerity light with a Lib/Con coalition, a self harming/self inflicted Brexit decsion enabled by a pig fucking Eton spiv, full fat austerity once the patsies had been removed, a pathalogical narcissistic liar and now another spiv who is so intent on lining the pockets of his rich friends that he would take a torch to what remains of our public services.

This is why so many politicians find it hard to be honest. If they were truly honest, they would say it's your fault you fucking lunatic, you voted for this.

They still think the Monarchy is a good thing. Stupid cunts.

"Maxed out the credit card" 

When I think Starmer cannot annoy me worse he pulls another rabbit our of the hat. He's chosen a day when the limate warning is dire to engage in a bit of gaslighting 

20240208_194732.jpg

Reminds me of the pints down the pub amateur economist who was made to look a fucking idiot b Varoufakis on Question time.