You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

They really are absolutely pathetic.

This was literally three months ago.

Shameless. Par for the course from the political classes though. Disingenuous charlatans the lot of them. 

Par for the course. Labour has to audition to be allowed back in and prove it won't upset the apple cart. I suspect a S*n backs Ser Keir type headline isn't far away.

As I say though, hate the game not the player. 

22 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I think its in our dna.The legacy of empire also plays a part (Has anyone asked these fuckwits what we "rule" exactly?)

Ive mentioned it before but there was a great post on twitter,where they said it starts with the royal family and trickles down. Once you accept 1 family are better than you,through an accident of birth,it follows you will vote in a class of people,on the basis that they went to Eton.

And this is all reinforced by an overwhelmingly right wing media.

Even a generation of working class people getting blown to pieces didnt shake the system. 

Yep, and the honours system props it up. Throw a few gongs to actors and the like, call them national treasures, pin a badge on the odd hospital cleaner ("Ooh, they've used the same mop for 50 years!") and then stack the Lords with donors and those who know where the bodies are buried. One lot get the headlines from a media that is at best in a stupor of banality, whilst the others sneak in like thieves in the night.

Loads of great figures I've admired have accepted honours, and it saddens me every time as they can't see how they're being used as human shields for a system of unmerited hierarchy and corruption.

It starts with the royals though. Cut the head off the snake.

• Upvote 1

The bar seems to be, we will not help you but we will not be as openly corrupt as the last lot. Truly inspirational times to get out and canvas and vote. 

No doubt when we have a very low voter turn out lots of focus groups will make lots of money figuring out why.

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yorkshire building society isn't goldman Sachs to be fair.

They're probably the the most left wing advisor she's listening to. Seems she's had a wild time in Davos. 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Par for the course. Labour has to audition to be allowed back in and prove it won't upset the apple cart. I suspect a S*n backs Ser Keir type headline isn't far away.

I understand your point mate I really do and I’ve long hoped the case is that they are playing the game perfectly. Unfortunately for me, I just don’t trust a certain few of them. Streeting, Reeves and Nandy are about as trustworthy as a Lib Dem politician in 2012. 

I can’t fully make my mind up on Starmer. Either he’s pulling the greatest political heist in Westminster this century or he’s as bad as the afore mentioned and his popularity is clouded by how poor the current lot are. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium said:

Imagine getting angry that Labour is being advised by a co-operative. Wild.

I think their are more than co operatives over Davos. She's certainly come back with goodies for rich and wealthy. 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The Tories are definitely going to lose the next election. It's now just a question of how much they lose by. 

This is the perfect time for Labour to be a little bit braver and a little bit more radical. If they can't do it now, then they never will.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I understand your point mate I really do and I’ve long hoped the case is that they are playing the game perfectly. Unfortunately for me, I just don’t trust a certain few of them. Streeting, Reeves and Nandy are about as trustworthy as a Lib Dem politician in 2012. 

I can’t fully make my mind up on Starmer. Either he’s pulling the greatest political heist in Westminster this century or he’s as bad as the afore mentioned and his popularity is clouded by how poor the current lot are. 

I may have misread you but Starmer is in no way popular. In my veiw it's nothing to do with his personality (no one wants another song and dance man) it's the fact he's ditched all of his ten pledges. The ten pledges he was elected on  Every one of them. Wiped. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-poll-keir-starmer-unpopular-tories-b2425801.html

His bizzare habit of praising people like Margaret Thatcher is probably another reason for his unpopularity. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/keir-starmer-margaret-thatcher-comments-jeremy-corbyn-united-kingdom/

His backing of Sunak and the Tories on foreign affairs is also denting his popularity with the Muslim/ethnic vote.