You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

'Tonight’s game between Manchester City and Arsenal has been postponed as a precautionary measure following the announcement yesterday that Evangelos Marinakis has contracted COVID-19.

'Thirteen days ago, Olympiakos played at the Emirates Stadium in the Europa League and Mr Marinakis, the Greek club’s owner, met with several Arsenal squad members and staff.

'Following medical advice, Arsenal FC and Manchester City FC consider it is necessary to postpone their fixture due to be played this evening to give time to fully assess the situation.

'The Premier League has therefore agreed that tonight’s game will be rearranged.

'We understand this will cause inconvenience and cost to fans planning to attend the game but Arsenal, Manchester City and the Premier League have agreed that the short notice of Mr Marinakis’ infection means there is no alternative but to take the time to complete a proper assessment of risk.

'All necessary measures are being taken and the Premier League currently has no plans to postpone any other matches.'

If the league does get postponed or cancelled can we all promise not to be cunts about it and whinge about how we're cursed and that you're done with football? A non third world country is on lockdown right now and more will probably follow in the coming weeks. It's turning into an unprecedented health emergency. This is probably not the time to cry about how football will be affected or that we wont have won a title in a full schedule. That will be revisited when countries are not having their hospitals overflowed. 

• Downvote 6

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If the league does get postponed or cancelled can we all promise not to be cunts about it and whinge about how we're cursed and that you're down with football? A non third world country is on lockdown right now and more will probably follow in the coming weeks. It's turning into an unprecedented health emergency. This is probably not the time to cry about how football will be affected. 

Then start the "Not being cunts and not whinging about being cursed and not crying about how football will be affected" thread.

This is the thread about football being affected.

Alternatively, there is a "Coronavirus" thread on the GF, where football apparently is expressly not to be discussed.

4 minutes ago, skaro said:

Then start the "Not being cunts and not whinging about being cursed and not crying about how football will be affected" thread.

This is the thread about football being affected.

Alternatively, there is a "Coronavirus" thread on the GF, where football apparently is expressly not to be discussed.

I'm talking specifically about what the response should be from fans regarding the virus' effect on football. It's relevant to the topic. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm talking specifically about what the response should be from fans regarding the virus' effect on football. It's relevant to the topic. 

In which case, my apologies - and thanks for your suggestion on what our "response should be".

I too think the league will be suspended soon but I fail to see how they can just cancel the season I mean apart from us being pissed for arguments sake how would the champions league slots be made for next season? 
if it’s cancelled then you have to go with the same teams again which means Utd missing out and a dreadful Spurs side being back in .

Thats even before you go down the relegation/promotion debate .

And as for it being said we shouldn’t whinge about it being cancelled as it is a health emergency which is very noble, but you should also take a gander at Twitter and the number of twatty ‘fans’ who are in joy at this happening regardless of anyone’s well-being 

• Upvote 1

The real winners, of course and as usual, will be rich people - buying up millions of shares while they are nice and low.

The emptiest supermarkets in Australia at the moment are the ones in the richest suburbs - the good and great are stocking up on food and toilet paper, bunkering down at home, with the gentlemen retiring to their dens to day-trade.

Meanwhile, their good wives - the puffer jacket and lycra ladies who must, for the moment, suspend their lunches - will play their own amusing game of SMS bingo:  which date will a vaccine be found?

That will be payday.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

If the league does get postponed or cancelled can we all promise not to be cunts about it and whinge about how we're cursed and that you're done with football? A non third world country is on lockdown right now and more will probably follow in the coming weeks. It's turning into an unprecedented health emergency. This is probably not the time to cry about how football will be affected or that we wont have won a title in a full schedule. That will be revisited when countries are not having their hospitals overflowed. 

You could start by not being a cunt and implying that "third world" countries matter less. And considering China owns half of Canada maybe go easy on the whole "third world" angle eh?

Just wondering why Football seems to be getting all the publicity over being cancelled or being closed doors and yet The Cheltenham Festival is just carrying on regardless . I mean there was 60,000 there today and another three days to come.

i bet Aintree doesn’t go ahead though 

3 hours ago, Stickman said:

Just wondering why Football seems to be getting all the publicity over being cancelled or being closed doors and yet The Cheltenham Festival is just carrying on regardless . I mean there was 60,000 there today and another three days to come.

I too can't understand Cheltenham being on. We have a temporary ban on non-essential travel at work yet two of our directors were there yesterday. Cool.

3 hours ago, Stickman said:

Forget that I've just answered my own question

Image result for princess anne cheltenham 2020