You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

We were told on Friday that there were between 5000 and 10,000 cases in the UK. It doubles every 3 or 4 days, but now we are told there is up to 55,000 cases in the UK. As they are not testing hardly anybody, how have they come to that number?

I think you can look at the number of deaths, serious cases, increase etc. UK has tested between 40k and 50k, they say.

BEIJING (Reuters) - China has given the go-ahead for researchers to begin human safety tests of an experimental coronavirus vaccine in the race to develop a shot against the COVID-19 epidemic that has killed more than 7,000 people worldwide. 

Researchers at China’s Academy of Military Medical Sciences, - affiliated to the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) -received approval to launch early-stage clinical trials of the potential vaccine starting this week, the ruling Communist Party’s People’s Daily reported on Tuesday. 

Scientists in the United States said on Monday that clinical trials had begun for a vaccine developed by its National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the U.S. biotech firm Moderna. 

Details in the Chinese clinical trial registration database show that a “Phase 1” test that will examine whether experimental shot is safe in humans aims to recruit 108 healthy people to take part between March 16 and December 31. 

The trial will be conducted by China’s Academy of Military Medical Sciences and the Hong Kong-listed biotech firm CanSino Biologics, the database showed. 

Experts at the World Health Organization say they do not expect any fully tested and approved vaccine to reach the market until the middle of next year.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-china-vaccine/china-gives-go-ahead-for-human-trials-of-potential-covid-19-vaccine-state-media-idUKKBN21427V?il=0

19 minutes ago, skend04 said:

The one time you could drink during the week without thinking of work and no one is stocking up on booze. Just been to Asda for some bits and bobs and the booze aisle is the only fully stocked one. Fucking country has gone mad!

I cleared Co Op of Peroni last night. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Here's the full speech from Mark Rutte yesterday, translated into English. It's a far better description of the situation than anything I have seen from the UK Government. 

https://www.government.nl/documents/speeches/2020/03/16/television-address-by-prime-minister-mark-rutte-of-the-netherlands

But it's essentially not that different to what the UK government is saying and doing, except that their mitigation phase estimates and "nudge" theory seem overly optimistic now. They also say most people will get it, the vulnerable need protecting and you cannot put entire society in lockdown for a year, so you need to "flatten the curve" and hope for protective "herd immunity".  The problem is as always that UK government likes to leak stuff to selected journalists first and test the reaction of the public and then media run away with it. Plus Johnson.

Just now, SasaS said:

But it's essentially not that different to what the UK government is saying and doing, except that their mitigation phase estimates and "nudge" theory seem overly optimistic now. They also say most people will get it, the vulnerable need protecting and you cannot put entire society in lockdown for a year, so you need to "flatten the curve" and hope for protective "herd immunity".  The problem is as always that UK government likes to leak stuff to selected journalists first and test the reaction of the public and then media run away with it. Plus Johnson.

Well it sounds like a competent version of what the UK are stumbling towards, yes. We have had nothing with over 100 people for a couple of weeks now though and schools, pubs restaurants, etc shut from this week. It's hopefully a lot more contained. 

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Champ said:

Nicola Sturgeon and Scottish government showing impressive leadership on tv here at the moment in sharp contrast to Johnson’s rabbit in the headlights performance yesterday

They kind of have their hands tied due to parliament, I'm sure they'd have Scotland following the rest of Europe if they could. 

2 hours ago, ``` said:

Did anyone shop there anyway? Same with those DFS/Sofology stores.

Doesn't matter really, it's another 3k out of work. 

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

They've also been advising everyone to self isolate for 7 days, when it should have been 14 days, so more infections potentially from people leaving their homes too early.

As far as I understand the 7 days still stands. The 14 days is for those like me who are living with someone under the 7 day isolation to allow for an incubation period. One of the government scientists was on telly either last night or this morning saying if the symptoms have gone, someone previously under 7 days isolation can leave home after the 7 days. I've got my daughter lined up for a quick shop for bread and milk on Saturday! Haha. 

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

That is inevitable regardless of any strategy.

It is, but it doesn't mean we should just go "fuck it, who cares, people lose their jobs anyway ". We need to manage the unintended consequences every bit as much as the intended. 

20 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Been in trouble for years mate. Nothing to do with the arl virus.

nIcl0bK-1.gif

They might well have been mate. But just like the virus itself, any hit to the economy will always hit the most vulnerable 1st. Absolutely anyone with cash flow issues is fucked. 

6 hours ago, littletedwest said:

I work as a manager for carphone. We did expect a few closures but woke up to find I'm now redundant.  Think it's the final nail but in hindsight this was happening beforehand. Our deliveries have dropped to zero ect

You've had an absolute twat of a year. My thoughts are with you.

YNWA

• Upvote 2

The UK's reaction stinks of Brexit. The first big opportunity to do their own thing with no interference from Europe and they fuck it up. I'm no expert but following the lead from countries that have been through this before seems like common sense.

I have read some reports of the EU banning sales of medical equipment to non EU countries, I don't think it will have any effect this time round but when COVID-22 comes around you will be on your own.

• Upvote 1