You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

One From Each Nation Draft

Bjornebye

Yeah, Effenberg is a great player. The one thing that would worry me about my team in real life would be the off-the-field stuff and all the red cards. It would be a nightmare!

Like having a team full of Luis Suarezes or something. Stam, Puyol, Effenberg, Rooney, Neymar - it might be the least likeable team in history. Would win a lot of games, though.

Some of the players listed above are definitely under-rated: some were probably just functional pieces in very good teams (thinking Elber, for example). Stam probably represents a good under-rated player. Rooney at his best was probably, unfortunately, a class above Fowler - but very different players. Carvalho was a great pick - totally blanked on him. There was probably a lot of decent Croatians buried (CL winning 90s version of Boskic?). Then some contemporary players like Robben & Ribery who still probably aren’t fully appreciated for being 2 of the greatest wingers in history. Would be cool to have a game focused on the under appreciated/forgotten players vs the typical legends that usuallly come up. 

2 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Some of the players listed above are definitely under-rated: some were probably just functional pieces in very good teams (thinking Elber, for example). Stam probably represents a good under-rated player. Rooney at his best was probably, unfortunately, a class above Fowler - but very different players. Carvalho was a great pick - totally blanked on him. There was probably a lot of decent Croatians buried (CL winning 90s version of Boskic?). Then some contemporary players like Robben & Ribery who still probably aren’t fully appreciated for being 2 of the greatest singers in history. Would be cool to have a game focused on the under appreciated/forgotten players vs the typical legends that usuallly come up. 

Yeah Arjen and Frank are this generations Robson and Jerome.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Rooney at his best was probably, unfortunately, a class above Fowler - but very different players.

I agree with this, and this is really why I picked him. Fowler was a tremendous finisher and overall just a great goalscorer, but I think Rooney suits a team with Messi and Neymar better. He'd score plenty, but he'd also set those two up as well. Could be a better version of the Messi/Suarez/Neymar forward line that Barca rolled out a couple of years ago.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I agree with this, and this is really why I picked him. Fowler was a tremendous finisher and overall just a great goalscorer, but I think Rooney suits a team with Messi and Neymar better. He'd score plenty, but he'd also set those two up as well. Could be a better version of the Messi/Suarez/Neymar forward line that Barca rolled out a couple of years ago.

Rooney a better option than Suarez? Can you send me some of whatever you are injecting please. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Negged.

61FB0F8D-991E-4372-90D0-5E3082FB26DB.gif

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Rooney at his best was world class no doubt about it but light years away from Suarez at his best 

Suarez was a force of nature at times. Rooney was an excellent player but he never hit the heights of peak Suarez.

Agreed - Suarez at peak was at C. Ronaldo Real Madrid standards .. which was levels above Rooney. The Premier League was far weaker in the 90s .. the majority of top players then don’t compare favourably with the top players from the 00s/10s .. likes of Cantona who were defining PL 90s players but paled compared to Serie A superstars playing at the time ..

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I’ve done all sorts and tried some amazing gear over the years but I want some of what you’re on mate! 

Valeri Karpin, Aleksandr Mostovoi, Tomáš Rosický, Marek Jankulovski

A few more i was surprised didn't get picked

Karpin and Mostovoi and Makelele destroyed us home and away in the UEFA Cup in the late 90s. Think it was 3-1 away and 1-0 loss at home

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Valeri Karpin, Aleksandr Mostovoi, Tomáš Rosický, Marek Jankulovski

A few more i was surprised didn't get picked

Karpin and Mostovoi and Makelele destroyed us home and away in the UEFA Cup in the late 90s. Think it was 3-1 away and 1-0 loss at home

I was only a kid when we played Celta Vigo. Stood on the Kop with my mates, i was convinced Mostovoi was the greatest player playing the game. I'm sure he played well, but watching him that night, i was convinced he was Pele and Maradonna rolled into one.

I was debating going with Jankulovski and Alves. Went with Marcelo in the end though.

I couldn't make my mind up whether to go with Adriano alongside Suker up top, or if I wanted to push Desailly up into a defensive midfield role with Lucio or Thiago Silva coming in at the back.

In the end, I decided to have Gerrard play further forward and keep Desailly at centre half, so I then had to decide between Gilberto Silva and Emerson for the final midfield role, though I did also contemplate sticking Juninho Pernambucano into the side for his free kicks.

Dani Alves didn't even come to mind to be honest. 

Though think i'd have taken Roberto Carlos either way. Not letting the cunt near a free kick though, fraud of a set piece expert. Mind you i think Beckhams freekicks well overrated too. 

It was all about Juninho and Mihajlovic on set pieces

3 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

I couldn't make my mind up whether to go with Adriano alongside Suker up top, or if I wanted to push Desailly up into a defensive midfield role with Lucio or Thiago Silva coming in at the back.

In the end, I decided to have Gerrard play further forward and keep Desailly at centre half, so I then had to decide between Gilberto Silva and Emerson for the final midfield role, though I did also contemplate sticking Juninho Pernambucano into the side for his free kicks.

Mauro Silva would have been a good shout for that DM role too

A good one for these drafts would be Ze Roberto, played everywhere