You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is right, the very last place they wanted that one to go is into Courtois' hands, you could see then legging it up the field as soon as he caught it.  Like you say, fair fucks for having a crack but surely the sensible option there was take it short, get the whistle and give yourselves another half an hour.

Going for the goal was fine, but after Courtois caught it 2 or 3 of them should have been immediately jumping into/obstructing him to make sure he doesn't get the ball away quickly.

• Upvote 1

Fucking hell people get offended by anything these days.

Saying 'The Japs' is about as racist as saying 'The Brits'.

Naw, it's racist. Look up how it's been used throughout history. 

Also, aventus is generally a twat so this doesn't entirely surprise me.  

I don't think Japs is racist unlike 'Paki' which obviously is

Cracking game

You can see the historical context why North Americans would carry that association though.  Racially motivated suggestion of an enemy within etc.

Er, guys, there are all sorts of things that shouldn't be offensive but are offensive because of historical associations. Like with blacks and watermelons - there is absolutely no logical reason why that association should be racist. But for a very dumb historical reason (look it up sometime, it's actually comical how stupid racists can be) it is.

The term "Japs" absolutely falls under that. By all rights, it should be as racist or offensive as "Brits." It's just a shortened form of the objective term for people from the Japanese islands.

However, much like "Pakis," it's been used historically in all sorts of offensive and demeaning ways, meaning anyone saying it is likely to offend a Japanese person. Go look up the WWII propaganda posters referring to Japanese people as "Japs" and you can immediately see it. Saying it is just not a good idea at all.

Like calling someone from Pakistan a Paki you mean?

That term historically has racist undertones as it's often used to target an individual. Brits and Japs in this term certainly does not as it's being used to collect the entire population of one country in one word which in my opinion is a million miles away from being racist. If an individual was being referred to as a Jap that would be a completely different story.

You can see the historical context why North Americans would carry that association though.  Racially motivated suggestion of an enemy within etc.

Well, if it's related to the whole internment camp thing then yes, I get the negative connotations

From my perspective I just view it as an abbreviated plural noun much like the Brits or the Yanks or Ruskies etc