You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

I think it’s referred to as the cotton ceiling.  Some dating apps for LGBT people are not allowing users to make sex based decisions. Mental. 

Maybe you need to stop using them then if you don't like it 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That's how I feel about it. I am happy to treat transwomen as if they were women 99.99% of the time.

But at the same time, I have to be honest with the world and with myself. I am a heterosexual man. I am attracted to women. I am not attracted to transwomen. You do not need to be an expert in logic to work out the implications. Quite how this makes me a bigot is unclear. Am I expected to pretend to be attracted to transwomen now? What purpose would that serve? Can I not merely treat trans people with compassion and understanding? Is that not enough any more?

Who's vying for your affections so persistently that you feel the need to say all this?

11 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That's how I feel about it. I am happy to treat transwomen as if they were women 99.99% of the time.

But at the same time, I have to be honest with the world and with myself. I am a heterosexual man. I am attracted to women. I am not attracted to transwomen. You do not need to be an expert in logic to work out the implications. Quite how this makes me a bigot is unclear. Am I expected to pretend to be attracted to transwomen now? What purpose would that serve? Can I not merely treat trans people with compassion and understanding? Is that not enough any more?

I think we often forget the main issue is not (just) about rights, it is ultimately about attempting to remove binary identity as a concept, an ideological construct, and both sides use rights only as a proxy argument. Same thing can be detected in the issue of race if you move away from slogans and look deeper (with race is also about economy, but all ideology is ultimately about power struggle).

11 hours ago, skend04 said:

Let's not look past the fact that now apparently all autistic people are in danger of being railroaded into transitioning because they can't think for themselves. Or that transitioning wasn't a thing in the 80s. Or that the Irish kid in the HP books loved to blow shit up and the Chinese girl was called Cho Chang.

Jesus, I'm just waiting for her to get her Boss leather jacket out, put on jackboots slap on a swastika and goose-step around Edinburgh, because she's slowly ticking all the boxes that shows she's a fucking mentalist.

There is a scene in one of her Cormoran Strike books, I think I may have mentioned it already, which is a thinly wailed ridiculing of attitudes  like gender self-identifying (with the would-be amputees), have the opponents picked up on this yet?

4 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This is off-topic a bit but related to stuff like this, I really like watching chess commentary on Youtube (I know, nerd alert!).

Last week, one of the most popular commentators got his channel shut down for "hate/inappropriate speech," and when he appealed it, he was rejected. Everyone was going around throwing accusations, saying that the video he put up must have been awful, and all sorts.

Turned out he had been commentating on an opening with the Berlin defense, and he used the words "if black plays c5 here then white can take on d5 and white will always be better than black in this position." The Youtube algorithm caught the "white is better than black" bit and canceled his channel for racist speech.

I have no idea how to play chess, however, I have spent many hours watching agadmators chess channel listening to him explain it. 

Weirdly addictive

22 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think we often forget the main issue is not (just) about rights, it is ultimately about attempting to remove binary identity as a concept, an ideological construct, and both sides use rights only as a proxy argument. Same thing can be detected in the issue of race if you move away from slogans and look deeper (with race is also about economy, but all ideology is ultimately about power struggle).

There is a scene in one of her Cormoran Strike books, I think I may have mentioned it already, which is a thinly wailed ridiculing of attitudes  like gender self-identifying (with the would-be amputees), have the opponents picked up on this yet?

There’s one in Afterlife that’s a lot more direct.  Gervais has not had anywhere near the same volume of nasty attacks.  It’s almost like it’s just women who get the shit, from men.  

This is common.  Look for yourselves. 

You're right. 

People being crass and dickish on Twitter is very common.

(See also, examples when Jeremy Corbyn tweets condolences to people who have died and gets hit with abuse over false accusations of anti-Semitism.)

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You're right. 

People being crass and dickish on Twitter is very common.

(See also, examples when Jeremy Corbyn tweets condolences to people who have died and gets hit with abuse over false accusations of anti-Semitism.)

She didn’t get any of this until she had an opinion on one subject. Disingenuous. 

she’s not a politician, false equivalence. 

She didn’t get any of this until she had an opinion on one subject. Disingenuous. 

she’s not a politician, false equivalence. 

I have no idea what she gets on Twitter.  I"m not a stalker.

Are politicians fair game for that sort of abuse? Personally, I don't think anyone is, so it's not false equivalence at all.

12 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Are politicians fair game for that sort of abuse? Personally, I don't think anyone is, so it's not false equivalence at all.

1. Fucking nonsense. That you can’t acknowledge her getting shit unless you are stalker 

2. Politicians put themselves above the parapet by representing people. 

poor form. Very poor form. 

18 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think politicians are fair game for severe criticism but Twitter is not really the best place to represent yourself anyway. Mind you,if you are a politician who is a bigot,racist,xenophobe etc,then it would appear perfect.

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

1. Fucking nonsense. That you can’t acknowledge her getting shit unless you are stalker 

2. Politicians put themselves above the parapet by representing people. 

poor form. Very poor form. 

1. I don't follow her on Twitter or anything.  I've mentioned before that I'm largely indifferent to whether or not celebrities share my opinions of stuff. Show me stuff like that response she got and of course I will "acknowledge her getting shit" - if you pay attention, you might notice that I think it's crass and dickish.

2. Bullshit. Politicians deserve to be scrutinised and challenged on what they say and do. They are not fair game for abuse; arguing that they are is, as they say around these parts, an Instant Cunt Identifier.

Still, if you want to stick to celebrities, have a look at the timelines of Gary Lineker, Francesca Martinez, your mate Rachel Riley, or any actor, writer, comedian or whatever who has expressed strong opinions on... well, anything really.  Any one of them will have received unjustifiable abuse like that from people who have nothing to do with  (whatever terminology you use for) people who think trans women are women.

18 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

1. I don't follow her on Twitter or anything.  I've mentioned before that I'm largely indifferent to whether or not celebrities share my opinions of stuff. Show me stuff like that response she got and of course I will "acknowledge her getting shit" - if you pay attention, you might notice that I think it's crass and dickish.

2. Bullshit. Politicians deserve to be scrutinised and challenged on what they say and do. They are not fair game for abuse; arguing that they are is, as they say around these parts, an Instant Cunt Identifier.

Still, if you want to stick to celebrities, have a look at the timelines of Gary Lineker, Francesca Martinez, your mate Rachel Riley, or any actor, writer, comedian or whatever who has expressed strong opinions on... well, anything really.  Any one of them will have received unjustifiable abuse like that from people who have nothing to do with  (whatever terminology you use for) people who think trans women are women.

So you are complete unqualified to talk about the fucking hateful attention she’s had just because of her opinion on this one topic. I mean, she’s spoken out about other issues, set up charities and supported women’s rights consistently for years but the instant she fucks off blokes she’s toast. And you can look at what she’s endured. But you’ve chosen not to. 

Look at any of those timelines and I guarantee, with absolute certainty that she’s had more abuse than them. From men. Always from men. It’s fucking mental. 

Just look at the timeline and make your own mind up.  It won’t take long. Men, telling women what to do as usual.

When men say the same thing as a women they get little comeback. 

The funny thing is that with Twitter and the like the evidence is right there.