You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nintendo Switch

Scott_M

Breath of the Wild was one of the greatest games ever, for me. Never got the moaning about the weapons, the game gives you so many it's not a bother to manage. Also, the fact that you can scale pretty much any landscape with enough stamina was part of made exploration so enjoyable. 

I think the worst bit of the design is that it's not clear that the weird monster that wants it's maracas back is how you expand your inventory. 

Once you have a bit more space it's fine. Plus you have the ability to pick up giant metal boxes and drop them on enemy heads. Or knock them off a cliff. 

The divine beasts is the only time you might actually lose some progress, and even then you can just leave and come back. Running out of arrows was more annoying to me.

I'm thinking about nicking my niece's Switch Light so that I can play the new Zelda. But I'm not sure if the reported frame rate drop would be worse on it as opposed to the normal Switch. Surely this game is begging for a new gen console from Nintendo?

I'm not sure Nintendo know what a next gen console is, they're wedded to the idea of last gen consoles (power wise) with a gimmick.

Sometimes the gimmick is excellent (Wii/Switch), sometimes the gimmick is shit (Wii U).

10 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

I'm not sure Nintendo know what a next gen console is, they're wedded to the idea of last gen consoles (power wise) with a gimmick.

Sometimes the gimmick is excellent (Wii/Switch), sometimes the gimmick is shit (Wii U).

I feel it’s more about pricing with Nintendo, after all they released the Nintendo 64 which at the time of release was more powerful than anything else. Unfortunately also it wasn’t a big success so their risk didn’t pay off.

Right now they have a base platform with the Switch. They could keep that there and release a souped up version which is more expensive and would be picked up by people who want the extra grunt. They still sell games and switch then open up to TNF for blasting their exhausts.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Has to be staged, guys trading in thousands in old, seemingly mint condition and rare, consoles for a switch.

Why would they stage that? Seems like the juice wouldn’t be worth the squeeze. He probably doesn’t know it’s potentially worth fortunes or has been told it’s not worth much.

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Why would they stage that? Seems like the juice wouldn’t be worth the squeeze. He probably doesn’t know it’s potentially worth fortunes or has been told it’s not worth much.

Same reason anyone stages things on the Internet, notoriety, publicity, clout.

You don't just stumble across limited edition N64's and Original Nes bundles and not know what you have, especially given the condition of the packaging.

If he'd wandered in with one of them without a box and one of the boxes all scuffed up or ripped it'd make more sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2023 at 08:38, TD_LFC said:

Has to be staged, guys trading in thousands in old, seemingly mint condition and rare, consoles for a switch.

If it's real then they're sneaky cunts getting him on record confirming he's happy with the deal. Ultimate no-backsies power move. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Red dead redemption port confirmed complete with undead expansion. £50 seems steep for a 14 yo game though. 

After the disastrous GTA collection, it’s a brass neck move selling their next game higher than a lot of Nintendos top tier games.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like the Switch 2 is going to remain woefully underpowered (close to PS4/XboxOne power wise).

Generally not an issue when looking at the Nintendo's staple of games (though expectations for future Zelda games my start to bring the issue in house) but given they're trying to charge £60 for current generation ports and are getting results like below it's a bit underwhelming that they aren't trying to push the envelope and edge towards the SteamDeck.

F6N6NcOWwAAQxSD?format=jpg&name=medium

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Seems like the Switch 2 is going to remain woefully underpowered (close to PS4/XboxOne power wise).

Generally not an issue when looking at the Nintendo's staple of games (though expectations for future Zelda games my start to bring the issue in house) but given they're trying to charge £60 for current generation ports and are getting results like below it's a bit underwhelming that they aren't trying to push the envelope and edge towards the SteamDeck.

F6N6NcOWwAAQxSD?format=jpg&name=medium

I’ve seen suggestions they’re working with Nvidia to make a version of DLSS for the switch 2. DLSS is an AI based upscaling technology to boost up image quality so the graphics are higher quality than the hardware can deliver without it.

Nintendo has never been competing with Sony and Microsoft but certainly they need an upgrade as their games are getting more ambitious.

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I’ve seen suggestions they’re working with Nvidia to make a version of DLSS for the switch 2. DLSS is an AI based upscaling technology to boost up image quality so the graphics are higher quality than the hardware can deliver without it.

Nintendo has never been competing with Sony and Microsoft but certainly they need an upgrade as their games are getting more ambitious.

Absolutely.

As I said, in house, or Nintendo specific gaming isn't an issue, they're built for the system they, they work for the system. Their's an argument that some of their flagpole titles (Pokémon etc) need a dramatic refresh (like Zelda/Mario got) but you know what you're getting and Nintendo has it's own niche.

Don't be 6th/7th generation technology selling 9th gen games at 9th gen game prices with 6th gen fidelity though.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone keep up to date with Nintendo news? My nephew had a switch for Christmas and they look brilliant. I wouldn't mind getting one but I've been reading that the Switch 2 is only around the corner (Or an announcement atleast) so I don't want to be forking out a premium price if they are due to be reduced in a month or two time following an announcement. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2023 at 14:15, Welsh said:

Does anyone keep up to date with Nintendo news? My nephew had a switch for Christmas and they look brilliant. I wouldn't mind getting one but I've been reading that the Switch 2 is only around the corner (Or an announcement atleast) so I don't want to be forking out a premium price if they are due to be reduced in a month or two time following an announcement. 

The Switch 2 has been talked about for about three years. Anything Nintendo do is a mystery, impossible to second guess what their plans are. Could be this year, could be next. Could be for Christmas 2024, but wouldn't be surprised if they stretched the Switch as long as they can - it's still a massive seller for them and the third biggest selling games system of all time.