You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

We've had him and Salah's best years, both pushing 30 and I wouldn't begrudge either a change of league and scene. They've helped us win the league and got us to three CL finals, winning one. 

Diaz and Mane also play the same position, I don't think we've seen the best of Mane when Diaz has played. 

Sometimes a team can become stale and predictable and we need a refresh and I'm fully confident in our ability to push on with a new attack. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

We have already signed his replacement in Diaz. I will be very surprised if bring in another attacker this summer. It's never been the way for us to have five or six strong attacking options under FSG.

Klopp traditionally liked smaller squads and we only had 3 subs.

Klopp has changed that approach and we're moving to 5 subs.

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

We have already signed his replacement in Diaz. I will be very surprised if bring in another attacker this summer. It's never been the way for us to have five or six strong attacking options under FSG.

It can be different with 5 subs, though. We can promise more game time to players. Unless the issue is financial. 

Bad news that he's leaving (though good news that I was right obviously) - he's been a genuinely great player for the club. Thought he was done last season tbh but he's been great this past few months and glad his last period here was positive. Thankfully his penalty miss in the FA Cup final didn't matter either as that would have been harsh. I didn't think he'd stay beyond his contract, and probably rightly so, but it's a shame nonetheless. That said, this is a kind of weird way to go about things - essentially announcing he wants to leave when nothing's been agreed and he's still under contract? Presumably he's done it with the club's knowledge/blessing?

5 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

Salah has already confirmed he is staying for a year. 

so it will be Diaz/Jota on the left. 
Salah/Jota and a bargain signing Klopp will hope can help in cup games and eventually turn into a super star on the right and Bobby will play back up to a big striker down the middle I guess. 

teams have figured out a way to defend us currently so I think we may have a big striker play down the middle. 

by fuck I hope this Kane rumour is just a rumour. 

anyway. Back to sadio. Had his best years havent we. 
wish him all the best but I must admit I do like when players don't perform at the same level for a new team. 

as long as he doesn't score against us

I heard about that Kane rumour too,but maybe its a decoy for another similar type of player? We'd benefit from a skilful target player and I wonder if Klopp might be thinking this way? No,not Andy Carroll type but more of a Lewandowski/Kane player?

With five subs available in all competitions, we need a bigger squad. Now that the dust is settling, this existing squad doesn't look quite as great as it seemed in the midst of the chase. It's like a movie cast with a couple of current stars and multiple Bruce Willises. The club is good at hyping stuff up these days, but from the outside it probably looks like the big stars aren't as committed as they were and there's a slow puncture to the sense of momentum. And on top of everything  else we've lost Michael Edwards. It's a big summer ahead.

26 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I heard about that Kane rumour too,but maybe its a decoy for another similar type of player? We'd benefit from a skilful target player and I wonder if Klopp might be thinking this way? No,not Andy Carroll type but more of a Lewandowski/Kane player?

Understand the tactic change. Have no issue but anyone but Kane

The fact that Jurgen has committed to the next 4 years virtually guarantees Champions league football every season while he's here , so if the club are serious about rebuilding the squad then now is the time to make a start,  back the best man manager in the world  and let's see him build another fantastic team .

It’s not like we’re locked in to one specific way of playing, believe it or not Klopp has experience of managing a forward like Lewandowski, same name and everything. The problem is very few exist, Kane, Lewa, Haaland and then a maybe this Nunez and that Serbian fella who just signed for Juve have that potential. They don’t come cheap and you’re far more likely to sign a Mitrovich or Benteke.

Why is he leaving this summer when he has a year left on his contract? Presumably we are so desperate for cash we're prepared to lose a world class player for a nominal fee. That's the part which really worries me.

7 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Why is he leaving this summer when he has a year left on his contract? Presumably we are so desperate for cash we're prepared to lose a world class player for a nominal fee. That's the part which really worries me.

nominal being around 40 mill?

8 minutes ago, Strontium said:

It's not the club pushing him out. And it's been reported that, when he finds the good grace to tell the club that employs him what he's actually doing, the club will not let him go for a nominal fee. 

5 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

It's not the club pushing him out. And it's been reported that, when he finds the good grace to tell the club that employs him what he's actually doing, the club will not let him go for a nominal fee. 

Look forward to next years pearls of wisdom from him on Salah

"Why is he leaving for free when we could have sold him with a year left on his contract? we're so desperate for cash yet we're prepared to lose a world class player for free?. That's the part which really worries me.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Look forward to next years pearls of wisdom from him on Salah

"Why is he leaving for free when we could have sold him with a year left on his contract? we are so desperate for cash yet we're prepared to lose a world class player for free?. That's the part which really worries me.

You're an absolute idiot.

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If Darwin Nunez is that tall lad from Benfica then I wouldnt be upset if we signed him.

He's class. Only downside is he's too good looking, might cause problems with girls fighting over him around town.

The problem is not just replacing the quality, it's also replacing the consistency. We've got at least two strikers who hardly ever get even a slight injury. The intensity of the style of play makes that really hard to maintain. It takes a rare player to keep putting in a shift.