You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

There's way too much smoke around the Bayern thing. He's probably negotiating and fine with either outcome. Here or Bayern. Just has to make a final choice.

It's gonna be sad if he goes. Discussing his or Salah's eventual departure has been a topic for years and how do we eventually renew the squad, etc... And I think sometimes I'm one of those people guilty of making it seem like it has to be done or that it's easy to replace a top player like Mané, but it defo wouldn't be.

He made it easier to discuss his potential departure last year with his poor season, but he's just absolute class in general. It would be a blow.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's way too much smoke around the Bayern thing. He's probably negotiating and fine with either outcome. Here or Bayern. Just has to make a final choice.

It's gonna be sad if he goes. Discussing his or Salah's eventual departure has been a topic for years and how do we eventually renew the squad, etc... And I think sometimes I'm one of those people guilty of making it seem like it has to be done or that it's easy to replace a top player like Mané, but it defo wouldn't be.

He made it easier to discuss his potential departure last year with his poor season, but he's just absolute class in general. It would be a blow.

It needs to happen at some point though, if we get too sentimental and throw around contracts to players just because we love them we could be going into 2026 with three of our front line in their mid 30s. 

3 minutes ago, Aventus said:

It needs to happen at some point though, if we get too sentimental and throw around contracts to players just because we love them we could be going into 2026 with three of our front line in their mid 30s. 

Still feel like one renews, one goes, and one sees out their contract.

Every time I think I've worked out which is which, something changes. 

14 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I think we're best placed to let Mané go as we already have Diaz and Jota play his position(s), but to actually replace such a totem of the club like Mané and all he's brought will still be hard.

21 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I agree with this. 

There comes a point when we have to “break up the band” so to speak. 

It’s a bit concerning though to have all these Mané rumours gathering pace when we haven’t even managed to secure Salah’s future with the club. I’d be happy with Nkunku or Nunez if one of Mané or Salah were to go. But, I’d be a bit worried about us going from needing a freshening up in one area of the pitch - the midfield - to us also needing to rebuild our attack at the same time. 

The thing is, as much as I love them, I think - at least in part - the reason they have done as well as they have done, is down to playing for Klopp and his staff and with the players in the team. If they go, they go. We will get other players that were once failing at Chelsea or doing well at Southampton and we will make them into superstars. Simple really. 

• Upvote 1

Mane’s form was really quite bad for a long time before all this new contract stuff came to light. There was the odd good game in a period spanning years of him being startlingly out of form since his COVID diagnosis. At one point every attack broke down with him. He’s had a great second half to the season, but it’s amazing how short peoples memories are. I love the man, and since switching to the middle he’s been a revelation but once the contract is off the table he may well revert to the one good game in six player he was for 2-3 years.

5 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Mane’s form was really quite bad for a long time before all this new contract stuff came to light. There was the odd good game in a period spanning years of him being startlingly out of form since his COVID diagnosis. At one point every attack broke down with him. He’s had a great second half to the season, but it’s amazing how short peoples memories are. I love the man, and since switching to the middle he’s been a revelation but once the contract is off the table he may well revert to the one good game in six player he was for 2-3 years.

He had a period of out of form but a one good game in six player for 2-3 years? I don't remember this being a thing. 

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Bayern can fuck off. They’ve put this out before the final and we’re having to field questions about it instead of the game.

Meh. Bayern were in this position with Thiago to us, and I doubt we were leaking it.

He still performed well and won the cup.

31 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Last season doesn't count. If we all agree that then its only fair to completely ignore anything that happened, including individual performances. 

8 hours ago, etho said:

Sounded like he's staying to me

Me too. Why would he come out with "Good News coming " if he were about to jump ship ? Would be very disrespectful to his current employers if this is the way he is handling a move to Bayern. 

29 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Me too. Why would he come out with "Good News coming " if he were about to jump ship ? Would be very disrespectful to his current employers if this is the way he is handling a move to Bayern. 

Exactly. And he can't go to Bayern this summer if we don't let him so what is he going to announce if he has decided he wants to leave? I think he's extending his contract. 

3 hours ago, Reckoner said:

A bit of hyperbole here. One in six good games? The opposite is the case for me. And as for last season,it's difficult to blame one player when all played a part in our bad run.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, aws said:

Exactly. And he can't go to Bayern this summer if we don't let him so what is he going to announce if he has decided he wants to leave? I think he's extending his contract. 

If he announces it, it'll presumably be because we've already agreed to it and it's done and dusted? Mane didn't say he is staying, Klopp today didn't say he is staying. If he's staying, why is nobody saying so when asked? Why would the club not just announce he's signed a contract extension?