You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gas VS Charcoal BBQs

Elite

Weber kettles are awesome, can low and slow using the snake method too. Plenty of videos on the inter web.

When using charcoal on a kettle, only fill half on one side so you have the ability to cook via indirect heat too. Much more convenient and so much easier. The top tip for BBQing.

• Upvote 1

question for all you hard core charcoal users - how often do you BBQ ?

i use my gas grill about 4-5 times a week in the summer. i have smoker boxes for adding all sorts of aromatics and smoke.

i just don't feel the need to use charcoal....i'm man enough already.

• Upvote 3

If you're using gas you may as well just do it on the stove and bring the food out. Gas barbecues are for middle managers who drink Becks Blue and like to tell you how much their bathroom cost.

you're so seldom wrong about things Mark - but you are here.

cooking indoors in the summer ? come now.

our bathrooms have both been renovated at some cost however - maybe $20,000

• Upvote 4

Mathewbet1, on 06 Jun 2016 - 12:55 AM, said:

Gas BBQ is one of the best things I've everbought got and outback one, it has charcoal brickets that does impart that Charcole flavour. So easy to use and clean, oh and all Aussie's have a gas BBq in their garden

I have a blue passport, it states that I am an australian citizen, I have a coal barbecue, not an outdoor gas cooker, ergo yer sweeping generalisation is bollocks. However a proportion of australian's do pride themselves on their outdoor gas cookers, and erroneously brag about their barbecue skills, however, cooking a fucking sausage on a gas cooker outdoors does not constitute barbecue. It is to barbecue what fosters, VB, and xxxx are to a good pint - a poor imitation.

neko, on 06 Jun 2016 - 01:34 AM, said:

i use my gas grill about 4-5 times a week in the summer. i have smoker boxes for adding all sorts of aromatics and smoke.

Cooking al fresco and barbecue should be considered 2 separate things, one is about flavour, materials and preparation method, the other revolves around cooking outside. In fact if it was possible to barbecue properly indoors, then I would have a crack, it would be barbecue that was produced, doesn't work that way with gas.

We live in a flat with a decent sized balcony, but it's a pain in the arse sorting out the dining table as it leaves very little room to get around the balcony, we hope to move in the next few months, and get back to cooking more on the barbecue once spring / summer is here, but the main hindrance has been the lack of space rather than anything to do with the barbecue.

*Shoepiss turns in grave.*

I use mine 2-3 times per week. I go to Sainsbury's and manfully kill some sausages and burgers that are just roaming wild in the aisle. Then I butcher the packets wide open and cook the innards over some charcoal. Brutal and definitely a job for a bloke.

WTF!!! Smoker boxes? Aromatics? ... GAY!!

• Upvote 2

I ordered myself a gas one today. I can bbq every single night of the summer without the hassle of charcoal. There's just no point in lighting a charcoal bbq for one or two people, when you get home at 7/8pm. And it's the cooking on the open flame that gives most of the bbq flavour, not the charcoal. I was converted when I tried a gas bbq.

I can't wait for it to arrive. More excited about this than any other purchase since I got the new house.

• Upvote 2

I ordered myself a gas one today. I can bbq every single night of the summer without the hassle of charcoal. There's just no point in lighting a charcoal bbq for one or two people, when you get home at 7/8pm. And it's the cooking on the open flame that gives most of the bbq flavour, not the charcoal. I was converted when I tried a gas bbq.

I can't wait for it to arrive. More excited about this than any other purchase since I got the new house.

giphy.gif

If you watch the above closely, you'll find he's calling you a cunt.