You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Declaring war on Rodgers

Gym Beglin

I think some of you need to live through the Hodgson era again if you think this is rivaling it. His time is up but its nowhere near as bad as that. 

Disagree. Can't be arsed (and it's too depressing to do so) listing all his low points again but he has plumbed depths to which even the Owl didn't manage - and 9 of the starting 11 were bought on Rodgers watch.

• Upvote 2

Even Rawk are turning not just on Rodgers but Fsg in their glare.

Accountability at Liverpool FC

« on: Yesterday at 03:32:32 PM »

The problems at the club go way further than the manager. That’s like thinking a change of prime minister can cure all a nation’s ills.

The owners have made it clear how much on the field matters are not a priority anymore. In 2011/12, when the club failed to meet the objectives they set, they went on a sacking cull. The director of football, the head of sporting medicine, the manager etc… We’d won a trophy, reached another final, but it wasn’t good enough for them.

Their action this Summer showed where their priorities lie now. They have made it clear there is no accountability at Liverpool Football Club anymore. We had one of the worst seasons in living memory and the only people to pay with their jobs were a couple of the coaching staff- whose contracts were coming to an end anyways.

I don’t know how they were to blame for wasting 120m odd- in addition to all the money that was wasted in the previous Summer. The club’s transfer committee has been so poor yet nothing was done about it at all. We made some of the most brain dead decisions in sporting history, like replacing Luis Suarez with Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli, but not a single person paid for it with their jobs.

There is an inertia at board level which has now engulfed the club. It’s that inertia that allows for results like Stoke 6 Liverpool 1. When all the players already have their suitcases packed for a holiday. It’s that inertia that has allowed results like that to be met with no response. It’s for that reason that when Liverpool suffer their worst home league defeat for 40 years, everyone just shrugs and move on.

Results like that should make the ground absolutely shudder. I’d wager that everywhere in the world, fans of international clubs checked the West Ham score and shuddered and shook their heads sadly; the way we would if we saw Milan had lost 3-0 at the San Siro to Calgiari. The footballing world holds Liverpool to a high standard- unfortunately, a higher standard than the football club holds itself. While they shuddered, our club just shrugged their shoulders and moved on.

This descent into mediocrity is unacceptable. It starts at the top but it goes down to chief executive, the transfer committee, the manager and the players and even the fans.

We have the 7th most expensive squad in the WORLD. The 7th.

4 of the top 6 are in England, which shows how tough it is top get into the top 4. But we are no paupers. Only 6 clubs in world football have more expensive squads than us- yet the reaction to being embarrassed in Europe by the likes of Basel and Beskyktas are met with “shit happens”. The reaction to 6-1 losses to Stoke and 3-0 home defeats by West Ham are met with “We need to improve”. What the fuck is going on?

We are left with no leaders: there isn’t any leadership at the top, where there is absolutely no communication with the fans about these matters. We have no clue what the standards the club expects are anymore. There is no leadership on the pitch where a squad player from Man City can waltz in and immediately become our vice captain. Pre FSG, someone like Milner would have come in and been 6th in line for the armband. Now, he leads us out on his 3rd game for the club.

That is a sorry indictment of a transfer policy which has revolved around stats and age and completely disregarded silly things like winning mentality, warrior spirit and leadership. It explains how we moved from a player who would have kicked his baby niece’s ankle for a corner in Suarez to one who wouldn’t break his toe nail for a trophy in Balotelli. Things like winning mentality just does not seem to count for the people who buy players- or give them new contracts.

The 7th most expensive squad in world football. 270m pounds spent on players- and we only have 1 player who can create a goal scoring chance. One fucking player. How that is not cause for an inquest akin to the Warren Commission I have no clue. The transfer committee and Rodgers have sunk this football club in the transfer market. We’ve never spent so much money in our history; and we’re left with the worst team we’ve had for 23 years.

I was a the ground yesterday and it hit me that none of that front 6 would have gotten into the team that beat City 3-2 on April 13th 2014 to go clear at the top of the league. Our front 6 that day: Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge, Suarez.

3 players are still here but that’s not the point: it is absolutely bewildering that we spent 200m since then and haven’t bought a single player that can improve that front 6. Every midfelder or attacking player we’ve bought since then could only get on the bench, if that. Yet again, no standards and no accountability.

We have spent an absolute fortune on mediocrity, squad players, absolute garbage, potential and players from Southampton. I cracked up laughing at the analysis of yesterday’s defeat. When the problem is that we should have partnered Benteke up with some player who was ok for Burnley last season or a kid who was voted in France’s worst side of the year last season, then that tells you everything.

The signing of Benteke illustrates everything that is wrong with this club at the moment. I got a ban for saying what I thought about it at the time, so I’ll be more diplomatic. The moment Rodgers went for him was the moment he lost me. It was basically the tell tale sign that he was going to ditch everything he worked on for 3 years. There is no logic, no planning and no structure.

A team that was coached day in day out on playing passing football, was now going to go more direct. Instead of trying to go back to how we played in 13/14 we were going to go back to how we played in 2003/04.

Yesterday, Rodgers came out and said “ We need to be more patient. It’s too easy to go long to Benteke”. Well, sorry, but no shit? It’s the same spiel Houllier gave us about Heskey. I just cannot understand how he did not see this was going to happen. And Rodgers doesn’t even provide Benteke with width. It’s absolutely insane.

The 2003/04 side is the one this side reminds me most of. It’s amazing to think that we’ve basically gone 11 years back, after all that, but it’s true. Except this time we don’t have Hyypia, Gerrard or Owen- we have a Houllier side with all of them out and Heskey alone up front.

Mignolet for Dudek, Moreno as Riise, Lovren for Traore, Can as Biscan, Milner as Murphy, Firmino as Cheyrou, Ibe as Sinama Pongolle, Lallana as Smicer, Benteke as Heskey. It’s the same conservative , long ball style with no creativity, no entertainment and no hope. They’ve even brought back the pre match huddle from that era. We even have a white fucking away kit.

And this season feels like that one too- a season where we are all passing time, waiting for this era to end. Like in 1997/98 too except we don’t have a kid like Owen coming through to excite us. All we have now is the hope that Sturridge can come back and have the same impact as Suarez 2 years ago.

Brendan Rodgers has staked his Liverpool career on turning us into a Gerard Houllier side. He’s looked at last season and decided he needed the team to play like they did in the first half of the season, when we had our first start since 1954, and before his 3-6-1 eureka moment. That style of play got him close to the sack. Why he’s gone back to it again is absolutely insane but a proof that he feels he’s close to losing his job and decided to try and play it safe.

All of this can only end up badly for him and the club. People that think that Klopp will come in are dreaming- the owners are much rather likely to get Gary Monk in than Klopp. That’s the standards they have set.

We can even talk about the youth system. Remember when we had Borrell and Segura and all the talk was that one same philosophy would run through all the different sides of the club, from the kids upwards? How a manager would just be one part of the system, how all the sides would play the same formation etc... What the fuck has happened to that? Where's the planning, consistency and standards there?

I’m sorry to end on a low note but I’ve got to say it: last year I wrote I felt that 13/14 was a watershed moment and that it would signal the last hurrah of Liverpool as a big football club. The descent to mid table mediocrity has begun in my opinion. Bad seasons are shrugged off, 6-1 defeats are ignored, worst home defeats for 40 years just don’t register. There is no accountability and an acceptance from everyone involved at the club at our descent.

It’s scary, scary times.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=322909.0

• Upvote 4

11 points of out 30 in his last 10 PL games. 4 wins in the last 16 league games and 7 defeats. In those 7 defeats we hae conceded 25 goals - relegation form Robbie. He's fucking shite mate and I hope you know me enough by now to know that I'm far from a knee-jerker and would love nothing more than for him to have built on his earlier work. That he simply isn't capable - not at this stage of his career anyway - is an uncomfortable truth, but a truth none the less.

6-1 at fucking Stoke. Humiliation at Wembley getting out-thought by Tactics Tim Sherwood (who were then shown up in the final as the bag of shite they are). 3-0 at home to West ham who hadn't beat us here for 50 years. Two dreadful performances and defeats to a bang average United side due to amateurish tactics in both games. Losing at relegated Hull without a shot on goal after a 0-0 at WBA with barely a shot on goal. Getting well beaten and played off the park by Crystal fucking Palace in Gerrard's last home game, with Pardew doing a number on him for the second time last season in the league. Spending £30m on a number 10 (as if we needed another one) and shoving him wide. Spending £32m on a target man to lump the ball to and leave isolated while still banging on about a possession game. 150k a week for a poor man's Dirk Kuyt in Milner and guaranteeing him a game at CM where he's crap. Jordan Henderson made captain.

That's just the last 15 games. You can go back to the omni-shambles of those 6 CL games last season and then Billic having him off in the Europa League with a shit Besiktas team in a competition we should have competed in. Our worst start to a season in 50 years by December. 

Sorry but it's arguably now even worse than Hodgson after all the money and time invested in this total fraud. Hodgson signed three players and lasted six painful months. The last six months have been just as painful and FSG have gambled their ownership on this chancer having any substance to all his bullshit and dossiers.

• Upvote 2

We are a poor side and the manager is to blame. Bad signings, tactics and selections that beggar belief, poor motivator, playing politics over other signings, cutting off his nose to spite his face.

This club has been spiralling for years and anyone with any sense knows what should be done, short of Bill Gates taking over and reincarnating Sir Bob. Quite simple really, get a top manager, pay him well, give him a decent amount to spend and time. We have a piss poor manager and a poor team he built. Fed up with it now, fuck him off before he wastes any more time and money.

We all knew what Hodgson was, but this charlatan is laughing at us. I would not trust him to clean my van the fucking shifty twat.

Apologies for venting my spleen.

• Upvote 2

I have to say this

I called this within a couple of months of him being hired - when he signed Joe Allen and Fabio Borini.

There were a few other lone voices.

The vast majority are very, very, very recent converts i.e. after the damage is done.

What this tell me is that many fans are blinded by a mixture of blind hope and the desire to show they understand the need to show loyalty to the club - both thoroughly understandable.

Unfortunately, it also tells me we (the fans and the club) have completely lost our culture of excellence and high standards  lost our understanding that while Liverpool Fc will always belong to the fans it also exist to compete and win at the highest levels.

The first step on that journey to recapturing those standards should be the sacking of Brendan Rodgers and all connected with him right now. There are some things that left unaddressed will just gnaw away at the very heart and soul of a club - and he is one of those.

• Upvote 1

From F365

Forget all the psudeo-intellectual nonsense talk of philosophy, those 90 minutes on Saturday showed you don’t know what you’re doing, silly man. It’s time to go now, Brendan.

Come on, that’s enough now, Brendan. It’s stopped being funny.

There was a moment about 18 months ago when it was hard to tell if Brendan Rodgers was a genius or a clown, or possible a genius clown. He’s been a lot of fun for us, but now there’s something dreadful and crushing about watching him go about his job, endlessly dressing up ineptitude as intellectual philosophy.

Many managers get a period of luck in their career, a period when they can do no wrong. It’s usually not because they’re doing anything massively different, more often it’s because a couple of players hit good form, or you accidentally hit on a new formation and the luck goes your way for a bit. Brendan had his luck with Luis Suarez but managed to convince himself that it wasn’t luck, it was an expression of his own brilliance – a combination of exceptional analysis, man-management and deep thinking.

To talk about football in the way that Brendan Rodgers talks about football, you have to be successful, otherwise you look stupid. Rodgers’ inability to match his pseudo-intellectualising with results says one thing and one thing only: I am deluded and I don’t know what I’m doing. Okay, so that’s two things.

And it was obvious from the way Liverpool played at Old Trafford that fundamentally he doesn’t know what he’s doing, unless being awful is his aim. Daniel Storey masterfully highlighted all of the flaws in Liverpool’s play in 16 Conclusions – the shocking thing was that Rodgers couldn’t even see any of this before, during, or after the match. I genuinely believe he is more occupied with thinking up a metaphysical riddle to utter at the post-match conference, solely in order to look brainy to thick people and to himself.

Some managers know when they’re lost, they know when they’ve signed the wrong players, they know when their tactics are hopeless and wrong, but Rodgers doesn’t. He still thinks he’s bloody great. Maybe he thinks he’s creating a hybrid physical expression of mathematics and poetry. He is certainly prone to talking like a man who is divorced entirely from reality. It is as though everything he says has been generated by a piece of software as a satire on the way air-headed, white-toothed motivational speakers go on, dressing up simple things in long-winded ways, so as to make out there’s more wisdom to it. Brendan, nobody is impressed anymore.

Even when saying really basic things about a footballer, he makes it sound weird. Talking of playing Danny Ings he said: “He’s a threat to the goal.” Why doesn’t he just say he’s a goal threat? Or that he might score. Ings isn’t a threat to the goal – his threat is to score a goal. I know it’s not a big thing, but such embellishment is illustrative of how his mind works. “I’m not one who chops and changes the philosophy – that’s something inherent in you,” is more classic Rodgers nonsense. First, it’s not true, for all the reasons Daniel says in 16 conclusions, but read the sentence again – it doesn’t actually make any sense. It should read “I don’t chop and change my philosophy – that’s something inherent in me,” and even then, you might argue the last two words are superfluous.

His whole aim with such uncomfortable, clunky expressions is to aggrandise himself. He refers to ‘the philosophy’ as though it is a grand concept like Marxism or quantum physics. And by saying that not chopping and changing is some sort of inherent character trait is just obvious nonsense. How you decide your team will play football is not a trait you’re given at birth. And anyway, whatever your philosophy is and from wherever it derives, if it leads to performances like Saturdays, it’s manifestly the wrong bloody philosophy.

But it’s all so typical of the man. His whole Liverpool tenure has been defined by all of these ridiculous hostages to fortune. He’s the only man in football who manages to put one foot in a bucket whilst slipping on a banana skin and shooting himself in the other foot.

Being thoughtful and clever is good, but only if you ARE thoughtful and clever. If you’re not thoughtful and clever but have merely just convinced yourself that you are – because everyone else you know has the intellect of gravy – you just end up making a fool of yourself. You’d think he’d have realised this by now, but he hasn’t. And he hasn’t because he believes in it and doesn’t realise that what surely used to be a pseudo-intellectual affectation has now become an entire consciousness.

His failures are well documented and extensive but it boils down to this: Brendan, look at the team, look at who they are and how they play. That tells us everything about you. Saturday told us everything about you. You can’t dress it up as a philosophy and you’re making yourself look stupid by doing so.

I wish you were actually just talking rubbish in order to get the sack and a huge pay-off. But you’re not, are you? You believe in the nonsense.

Brendan, it’s over or, to put it in terms you might better understand, the project demands a more progressive, dynamic individual, vis-a-vis interpersonal and inspirational one-on-one motivational and organisational skills, on both a macro and a micro level…and because of playing Dejan Lovren too, you big divvy.

John Nicholson

http://www.football365.com/news/saturday-told-us-everything-about-you

• Upvote 5

I have to say this

I called this within a couple of months of him being hired - when he signed Joe Allen and Fabio Borini.

There were a few other lone voices.

The vast majority are very, very, very recent converts i.e. after the damage is done.

What this tell me is that many fans are blinded by a mixture of blind hope and the desire to show they understand the need to show loyalty to the club - both thoroughly understandable.

Unfortunately, it also tells me we (the fans and the club) have completely lost our culture of excellence and high standards  lost our understanding that while Liverpool Fc will always belong to the fans it also exist to compete and win at the highest levels.

The first step on that journey to recapturing those standards should be the sacking of Brendan Rodgers and all connected with him right now. There are some things that left unaddressed will just gnaw away at the very heart and soul of a club - and he is one of those.

It shows me that most are blinded by management buzzwords and office speak and 180 page dossiers.

I've read some really interesting stuff on here lately particularly the stuff from Roger's Reading days. Some great points well made

However you funnneee are a fucking disgrace. I don't like to slate anyone on the internets but some of your posts these last few days have been disgusting.

You want Liverpool to lose to prove a point.

You are abusing a man you don't even know - the Liverpool manager

Yes, we all want him replaced but you need to have a word with yourself

I'll conduct myself when I think the man deserves it.

He's shown contempt for this club with that fucking debacle in the CL last season, that was beyond acceptable, not just the performances but his attitude towards that competition. It smacked of a man who was woefully out of his depth and trying to belittle the competition to make out that it wasn't important.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29909545

He lost to weekend the week before and still rested seven first teamers.

"I didn't rest players for Saturday. I picked a team that I thought could get a result. The players that came in were excellent and we were unfortunate not to get a result."

22 Mignolet

19 Manquillo

37 Skrtel

04 K Touré

18 Moreno

23 Can (Coutinho - 75' )

21 Lucas (Gerrard - 69' )

24 Allen

50 Markovic (Sterling - 69' )

29 Borini

20 Lallana

Substitutes

01 Jones

02 Johnson

08 Gerrard

10 Coutinho

14 Henderson

31 Sterling

45 Balotelli

He picked his strongest team, that was his mantra.

Where's Manquillo, Toure, Borini, Markovic now then Brendan? Saving them for the big games yeah?

Madrid had 27 shots on goal compared to our 4.

We finished a 4 team group with a goal difference of -4.

A 93rd minute pen to beat Ludogorets Razgrad at Anfield.

A 0-3 defeat to Madrid at Anfield.

An 81st minutes equaliser to draw with Basel at Anfield.

Last season in the Premier League, against the top four, we got 5 points from a possible 24.

Conceded 18, scored 9.

It's clear what our level is, what great work he's done with the £117m spent last season, and the £67m he's spent this summer.

We've got two scuffy wins so far against Stoke and Bournemouth, and our goal difference is -3 after just six games.

No, I refuse to be civil about this fucker. Both as a Liverpool supporter, and as a hard-working bloke, I detest the arrogance of the man and his attitude towards work, towards money, towards the fans.

• Upvote 3

My faith in him is wavering but I will wait until the end of December before judging him.

Even if I had lost belief I wouldn't want him sacked now as the managers available don't fill me with confidence, at the end of the season Rafa and Mourinho could be available.Jose wants to stay in the prem for the rest of his career and if there's a chance we can get him we should take it, offer him the highest wage or whatever it will take.

• Downvote 2