You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

19 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Not really that hidden, I guess, but Calderstones Park. Had a nice saunter round there the other day. Sefton Park is my local/usual for a nice stroll. 

But, apart from the lake/Palm House, Calderstones wins. Nice gardens and loads of squirrels that come right up to you if you've got something to feed them with. Squirrels are boss. 

I love Caldies park. I like the little ice cream shop as well. 

On 07/02/2020 at 12:03, Nelly-Torres said:

Not really that hidden, I guess, but Calderstones Park. Had a nice saunter round there the other day. Sefton Park is my local/usual for a nice stroll. 

But, apart from the lake/Palm House, Calderstones wins. Nice gardens and loads of squirrels that come right up to you if you've got something to feed them with. Squirrels are boss. 

Its nice to see live Squirrels rather than dead ones here in Runcorn. They've cut down most of the trees and built houses where the Squirrels used to live. They are now forced towards roads and houses and are getting wiped out regularly.

46 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its nice to see live Squirrels rather than dead ones here in Runcorn. They've cut down most of the trees and built houses where the Squirrels used to live. They are now forced towards roads and houses and are getting wiped out regularly.

And look like Bolognese, as long as they’re Grey.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I thought you lived in Russia. Anyway I like squirrels but they will all be dead soon because Jo Swinson. 

• 2 months later...

Controversial perhaps, but I've long thought that Liverpool has - in my experience - no good chippies. 

It has decent Chinese takeaways that do 'decent' chips, but no good fish and chip shops. Frequently people will tell you theirs is great, but when you try it it's not. 

Widnes, for all its many flaws, has incredible chip shops. 

It must be a woolyback thing. 

I've noticed in the last few weeks of this bollocks when we've ordered takeways from chippies, curry houses or wherever else the standard has been poor. (a chippy round ours was using lamb as Char Sui, I shit you not, while the curry house round ours delivered me some veggie filth in place of the chicken rogan josh I'd ordered). I'm done.

26 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Controversial perhaps, but I've long thought that Liverpool has - in my experience - no good chippies. 

The Lobster Pot?

Though my mind is probably skewed by the fact its usually about 2am when I am in there, full of ale trying not to laugh at queues of pissed girls falling about the place shrieking and showing their thongs...

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Mrs O'T concurs.

She can't get her head around the fact that we just order "fish" because there's never a choice of different types of fish.

We're on the coast, for fuck's sake! Whitby we ain't. 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It has decent Chinese takeaways that do 'decent' chips, but no good fish and chip shops. Frequently people will tell you theirs is great, but when you try it it's not. 

I've noticed in the last few weeks of this bollocks when we've ordered takeways from chippies, curry houses or wherever else the standard has been poor. (a chippy round ours was using lamb as Char Sui, I shit you not, while the curry house round ours delivered me some veggie filth in place of the chicken rogan josh I'd ordered). I'm done.

The Village Chippy in West Derby village is lovely. 

Pauls Fish Bar on Lower House Lane in Widnes is also lovely. 

The Cronton Fish Bar used to be the best in the world of all time ever the greatest. Not sure these days. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I wouldn’t say that Liverpool doesn’t have any good chippies (been ages since I sampled anything from any of them, though), I’ve always said traditional British chippies are miles better than Chinese ones.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Mrs O'T concurs.

She can't get her head around the fact that we just order "fish" because there's never a choice of different types of fish.

We're on the coast, for fuck's sake! Whitby we ain't. 

Haven’t been for a few years now but I used to visit Whitby regularly when I first moved to North Yorkshire. In my experience, it has some very good chippies but they are far outweighed by average and shit ones.

Good chippies are scarce nationwide, nowadays, I reckon. Horrible batter, undercooked, insipid chips, crap instant gravy, etc.

For me, a boss chippy should have, at least, a choice of cod or haddock, maybe plaice as well. 

45 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Haven’t been for a few years now but I used to visit Whitby regularly when I first moved to North Yorkshire. In my experience, it has some very good chippies but they are far outweighed by average and shit ones.

Good chippies are scarce nationwide, nowadays, I reckon. Horrible batter, undercooked, insipid chips, crap instant gravy, etc.

For me, a boss chippy should have, at least, a choice of cod or haddock, maybe plaice as well. 

Only ever had a choice of different types of fish when on holiday in Cornwall way back as a kid in the 1970s. I seem to remember that Plaice was very nice. I like Smoked Haddock too but find the supermarket stuff way too salty. I think they add even more when its dragged out of the sea,where they live in the stuff.

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

A boss chippy should also do excellent gravy and decent curry.

The pies should be of a high standard and the sausages not the normal shite you get in most chippies

Pickled eggs de rigueur

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The Village Chippy in West Derby village is lovely. 

Pauls Fish Bar on Lower House Lane in Widnes is also lovely. 

The Cronton Fish Bar used to be the best in the world of all time ever the greatest. Not sure these days. 

Lived 100 yards from the site of the Village chippy for 15 years in its incarnation as ' Poison Petes ' and then move out a week before it sounds like it has got decent. Fuck me.

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

You've never been to Byrnes on Stewart Road in Walton ? 

8 hours ago, redinblack62 said:

The Lobster Pot?

Though my mind is probably skewed by the fact its usually about 2am when I am in there, full of ale trying not to laugh at queues of pissed girls falling about the place shrieking and showing their thongs...

Each to their own but I've only ever been the Lobster Pot once and once it shall remain.

9 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

My mate does too, is that you John haha!

No I am not a John , and I am in Formby now , VD.

Still traipse back to the same garage in the Village for our mot , so next time I am going to try the chippy while the car is in  ( assuming it is still open in these testing times )

19 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Lived 100 yards from the site of the Village chippy for 15 years in its incarnation as ' Poison Petes ' and then move out a week before it sounds like it has got decent. Fuck me.

Ha just mentioned it to the missus. She grew up here. Yeah thats the old owner. 

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

No I am not a John , and I am in Formby now , VD.

Still traipse back to the same garage in the Village for our mot , so next time I am going to try the chippy while the car is in  ( assuming it is still open in these testing times )

I was brought up not far away by Norris Green Park, in leafy Everton now.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Paul's in Widnes used to be ace, not been in years, Cronton Fish bar also. Used to also like Yummy Hut which was near the snooker hall.

Runcorn chippies such as Langdale Road, Castle Rise also pretty good.