You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

Anyone after a cracking curry get yourself to the Holdi in Woolton Village, Istanbul too, a Turkish place just over the road. 

Going to Christakis tomorrow on Smithdown for some Greek food, band and belly dancing - top drawer! The lads in there are ace and you always get a good feed. 

The Holdi is brilliant easily my favourite sit down Indian ....

I've been meaning to go to the Istanbul but I always end up at Eton place by the Halfway House which is really really good and you can take your own wine with £3 corkage

Othello's in Childwall is great for Greek food too only downside is there is no boozer next to it anymore

• Upvote 1

I've just been to Lister Fisheries on Lister Drive.  They've got everything imaginable for fish ponds and aquaria (as you'd expect) plus a load of pet birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. and all the things you'd need to look after them.

http://www.listerpetcentre.co.uk/ 

Best of all, it's located in an old Victorian swimming baths.

B3eDmxyIUAEEDUx.jpg

I've just been to Lister Fisheries on Lister Drive.  They've got everything imaginable for fish ponds and aquaria (as you'd expect) plus a load of pet birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. and all the things you'd need to look after them.

http://www.listerpetcentre.co.uk/

Best of all, it's located in an old Victorian swimming baths.

B3eDmxyIUAEEDUx.jpg

You get to swim with the fish then ?

• Upvote 1

Real Taste on London Road

Looks a bit shady and intimidating because it's mostly Kurdish types who go in but be brave and enter. Only a small menu but the best thing to get is one of the set meals. For £6 you get

A lentil soup starter as soon as you sit down

Choice of meat, Chicken breast or leg, lamb, kebab style

Mountain of Biryani rice, or plain rice if you're a loser

Choice of one of 6 side veg, aubergine, coughette, okra etc

Side salad

Fresh baked flatbread

Everything is gorgeous, proper salt of the earth cooking and brought fast so ideal for anyone on their lunch hour like me and for £6 can't beat the value, you'd be hard pressed to get a large maccies meal for that.

e28aed92336bda3dc33aac7161d0a8bb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 2 months later...

Don't know if it's "hidden", but we went to Puschka in Rodney Street last night.

http://puschka.co.uk/menu/

The food is sex on a plate.  (They use plates!) The place itself is really nice and the staff are lovely.  There's even on-street parking (free after 6:00) if you're not drinking.

It's only smallish, so you'll need to book.  We didn't and we were told we had to wait over an hour, so we went a couple of doors down to Cafe Porto (also recommended, but more relaxed, crowded and not really the kind of place you'd take your wife for her birthday) for some excellent sardines.

http://www.cafeporto.co.uk/

• Upvote 1

I've heard that the old HSBC bank on the corner of allerton road in woolton has been sold and is going to be an Italian restaurant.A nice addition and a bit more choice of cuisine for the area.

I'm going to the Ying wah Chinese restaurant tonight to celebrate my wife's sister's wedding anniversary.excellent food.

Don't know if it's "hidden", but we went to Puschka in Rodney Street last night.

http://puschka.co.uk/menu/

The food is sex on a plate. (They use plates!) The place itself is really nice and the staff are lovely. There's even on-street parking (free after 6:00) if you're not drinking.

It's only smallish, so you'll need to book. We didn't and we were told we had to wait over an hour, so we went a couple of doors down to Cafe Porto (also recommended, but more relaxed, crowded and not really the kind of place you'd take your wife for her birthday) for some excellent sardines.

http://www.cafeporto.co.uk/

Plates! So not a wooden board, a piece of slate, a shovel or a fucking jar? Sounds great.

• Upvote 1

Had a Wok & Go from the one on Bold St last week. It was shite compared to the ones you get in London. Tasteless. Gutted as well because Carragher goes there all the time. Maybe he gets the secret sauce. Sly prick.

Wok and Go is terrible, stingey with the non-noodle ingredients and really greasy. Ichi Noodle just down from Williamson Square is tonnes better.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Egg cafe is it's own little niche thing. I remember going to a poetry night there, it was one of those open mic poetry things, i wasn't there for the poetry in fairness i was there for the carrot cake, but i got ushered into this small space to the right of the cafe to watch this spectacle as it unfolded. There was this really thick accented scouser reading what can only be described as a Dave Kirby poem, it could of been Dave Kirby himself actually, it was so long ago i can't really recall.

What happens next is a couple of scall's poke their head through the entrance and start buzzing off this guy reading the poem, making weird noises and shouting things like "your poems shit lad". The workers at the restaurant are doing fuck all about it because they're all vegans and shit and don't believe in violence so they are just standing there. Another minute or so goes by before this guy just goes berserk and throws his notebook on the floor before sprinting after them. He must of chased them down the stairs and presumably all around town because he came back about 20 minutes later, looking very flustered, so for that reason Egg cafe.

Captain Sensible out The Damned knows

@sensiblecaptain: Agents and promoters book tours, not the bands themselves. We love visiting Liverpool.. how great is the @TheEggCafe !? https://twitter.com/sparra1100/status/910923459647168512

• Upvote 1