You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

Any decent pubs open late (1am) in town?

I'm going to be at a loose end on Thursday night & could do with somewhere to go for a pint after the sporting festivities are done with.

Not sure if they still do it but if they do you should check out the student night at the Superstar Boudoir, mate. You'll enjoy it in there. Thursday's used to be all you can drink for £9.99.

• Upvote 1

hardly a hidden gem, but the aloft hotel on North John Street is pretty cool, and about half the price of the Hard Day's Night. The rooms are fab.  If you're travelling up/down/across for the match and staying over, I'd defo recommend it.  Try and get a room on the 5th floor if you can - the views are pretty impressive.  

• Upvote 1

hardly a hidden gem, but the aloft hotel on North John Street is pretty cool, and about half the price of the Hard Day's Night. The rooms are fab. If you're travelling up/down/across for the match and staying over, I'd defo recommend it. Try and get a room on the 5th floor if you can - the views are pretty impressive.

It's good for a drink with birds as well, not cheap but pleasant, plenty of room and ambience and all that fucking shite. Seems to be a bit undiscovered.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

And so we bid farewell to Liverpool Small Cinema, which closed at the end of April as the building in which it was housed was put up for sale for redevelopment.

Whilst the Victoria Street venue is closing, the future of cinema in Liverpool remains bright. There are now more film events happening across the city than ever before, and indeed the programmers and volunteers involved in the project will be continuing to develop film events across the city in the near future, thanks to a BFI Neighbourhood Cinema award for new equipment, whilst on May 6th and 7th, volunteers Chris, Stef, Laura and Ben will be popping up at the Handyman Supermarket, 461 Smithdown Rd with their new and exciting Empty Spaces Cinema initiative with an amazing line up of films for cult film fans, families and local audiences.

Empty Spaces Cinema sounds like an intriguing idea, albeit the website doesn't seem to have much in the way of information of plans as of yet.

http://emptyspacescinema.com/

Guest Pistonbroke

It says it's the 4 person one, although the photo's are the same for 2/4 so I'll take your word for it mate. Far too much for two people like, although I know a few greedy bastards who'd polish it off by themselves.  

What is that new Shankly hotel like?

Hope this finds you well Tony.

It was shite mate. When me and the Mrs were back home we stayed there and were massively under-impressed. I'm genuinely pretty easy-going about stuff but it took ages to check in, management couldn't really give a fuck, and the rooms were shit as well. I'd never go back there, especially when there's much better and cheaper available.

Anyone after a cracking curry get yourself to the Holdi in Woolton Village, Istanbul too, a Turkish place just over the road. 

Going to Christakis tomorrow on Smithdown for some Greek food, band and belly dancing - top drawer! The lads in there are ace and you always get a good feed. 

• Upvote 3