You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

4 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Haard to think how much Southampton would demand for him now they have basically given him the platform to regenerate.

God knows in this market with the covid effect. I'd have thought at least £45m, though.

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

It is. Because most of the time he comes on he is really ineffective. Theres the odd occasion he influences a match. Maybe some of it can be attributed to being stuck wide, i dunno.

Bottom line is he isnt good enough and never was.

What does his attitude have to do with being ineffective? You're talking shite. 

Not good enough at all. Thank you very much for the memories Div - up there with our biggest cult heros - but it's time to say bye now.

Can't be fucking bothered arguing the toss with people on here claiming he's got his place or he's the best we could possibly hope for in a back up. Could name 10 forwards better than Div who would happily play backup to the front free (and even push them for a spot), but not going to bother because there are people on here who would love too deep throat james pearce for confirming we'll be making no signings.

This is his 5th (?) year here. He reached his ceiling long ago. His 'project' is over so its time for him to seek pastures new. If this was his first/second season, we'd go again, but it's not.

58 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Not good enough at all. Thank you very much for the memories Div - up there with our biggest cult heros - but it's time to say bye now.

Can't be fucking bothered arguing the toss with people on here claiming he's got his place or he's the best we could possibly hope for in a back up. Could name 10 forwards better than Div who would happily play backup to the front free (and even push them for a spot), but not going to bother because there are people on here who would love too deep throat james pearce for confirming we'll be making no signings.

This is his 5th (?) year here. He reached his ceiling long ago. His 'project' is over so its time for him to seek pastures new. If this was his first/second season, we'd go again, but it's not.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

He's fine as a back up option when played at centre forward and obviously has scored some legendary goals.

We definitely need a better wide option to fill in when Mo or Sadio is out though.  The argument that one wouldn't be happy to come is absolute nonsense.

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

He's fine as a back up option when played at centre forward and obviously has scored some legendary goals.

We definitely need a better wide option to fill in when Mo or Sadio is out though.  The argument that one wouldn't be happy to come is absolute nonsense.

We've become so used to having shite on the bench that any notion of signing an attacking player who'd back himself to break into the team seems completely foreign. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Curtis Jones? No need to buy anybody.

Looks like a midfielder to me.  Doesn't have much pace at all but yea that's probably how we'll go.   Just like last year when we pretended Brewster was a genuine option. 

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Anyone else think that Werner has asked for first team assurances and Klopp has said no, you have to work to oust Bobby and Werner has bottled it? 

Without a doubt. Mind you, didnt he ask to be taken off in one game in Turkey because the noise of the crowd was hurting his ears!?!

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Anyone else think that Werner has asked for first team assurances and Klopp has said no, you have to work to oust Bobby and Werner has bottled it? 

No, he was flashing his arse at us for months, and pretty obvious we had him lined up but Klopp was told we couldn’t afford it this summer.

A lot of reports that we asked him to wait for a couple of months, but the buyout clause made it tricky. Chelsea offered him a massive wedge and he went there.

29 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

No, he was flashing his arse at us for months, and pretty obvious we had him lined up but Klopp was told we couldn’t afford it this summer.

A lot of reports that we asked him to wait for a couple of months, but the buyout clause made it tricky. Chelsea offered him a massive wedge and he went there.

I think we will regret not signing him 

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

We've become so used to having shite on the bench that any notion of signing an attacking player who'd back himself to break into the team seems completely foreign. 

I don't get the hatred, he's part of a squad that has achieved so much in the past two seasons.

But more importantly, who exactly is going to come in and rotate with the front three who is available and would be able to get one of the three out of the team?

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I don't get the hatred, he's part of a squad that has achieved so much in the past two seasons.

But more importantly, who exactly is going to come in and rotate with the front three who is available and would be able to get one of the three out of the team?

Exactly. Yesterday someone posted 'I see some are still dreaming we cannot have a better 4th striker' than Origi. Someone else posted they could name 7 or 8 better players who'd realistically would be an improvement then failed to name a single one.

Then you get mcmanaman repeating the mantra during tv commentary pointing at city's squad. If you look at city they basically have Mahrez filling the Origi role for them. He's played 5 times more in the league this season, 12 of which were sub appearances. He's scored 7 more goals than Divock.

Now, Mahrez might be a better player than Divock and he'd probably walk into any side other than us and city. But how much did they shell out on him, 60m and 200+ grand a week wages, wasnt it?

I guess with Degsy moving on, Divock if he stays will be one of the new whipping boys.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Exactly. Yesterday someone posted 'I see some are still dreaming we cannot have a better 4th striker' than Origi. Someone else posted they could name 7 or 8 better players who'd realistically would be an improvement then failed to name a single one.

Then you get mcmanaman repeating the mantra during tv commentary pointing at city's squad. If you look at city they basically have Mahrez filling the Origi role for them. He's played 5 times more in the league this season, 12 of which were sub appearances. He's scored 7 more goals than Divock.

Now, Mahrez might be a better player than Divock and he'd probably walk into any side other than us and city. But how much did they shell out on him, 60m and 200+ grand a week wages, wasnt it?

I guess with Degsy moving on, Divock if he stays will be one of the new whipping boys.

Nope he's simply not good enough. As i said yesterday he has good attributes, but he hasn't pushed on at all. Thats why i questioned his attitude. I think he gets minutes exactly because he is happy to play second fiddle and nothing to do with his ability. We need to find the right player with the right ambition that wants to improve himself and break into this starting 11 on a regular basis. If that wasn't Werner and he had a questionable attitude then fine, we try and find someone that fits the bill and thats the job of Edwards and his team.

Brewster maybe a part of that equation but like  a few posters have mentioned I don't subscribe to this idea that the first 11 is untouchable and therefore should not have players chomping at the bit to take their position. Thats what keeps a squad on its toes.

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Nope he's simply not good enough. As i said yesterday he has good attributes, but he hasn't pushed on at all. Thats why i questioned his attitude. I think he gets minutes exactly because he is happy to play second fiddle and nothing to do with his ability. We need to find the right player with the right ambition that wants to improve himself and break into this starting 11 on a regular basis. If that wasn't Werner and he had a questionable attitude then fine, we try and find someone that fits the bill and thats the job of Edwards and his team.

Brewster maybe a part of that equation but like  a few posters have mentioned I don't subscribe to this idea that the first 11 is untouchable and therefore should not have players chomping at the bit to take their position. Thats what keeps a squad on its toes.

The first 11 is not untouchable. Messi would get into the first 11. Mbappe would get into the first 11. Ederson would get into the first 11. Kevin de Bruyne would get into the first 11. There are PLENTY of players who would get into the first 11. But they would cost ridiculous amounts of money, demand extorniate wages, would DEMAND they get into the first 11 WITHOUT FAIL and would probably upset the squad dynamic.

Getting players who are just below the level of the first 11 is nigh on impossible, unless you sign players like Mahrez, Foden, Ings, Gundongan, Bruno Fernandes, Adama Traore - in other words, players who have shown they have the quality to deliver it and therefore you need to pay for it. Again, a lot of money and it's possible it will shut the door on youth development and still could upset the group dynamic.

Personally I think there are too many people that spend too long on FIFA 20 who think that getting players is as easy as pressing the A button a few times.

You are absolutely entitled to an opinion on the quality of the players who represent the club that you support - as is everyone on this forum, in the stands, on the board, at home on TV, commentators and former players. Opinions and facts are not the same thing. My opinion isn't a face either. But so long as the players are doing a job for the team that has absolutely smashed it the last two seasons, they should absolutely get the respect they deserve and not be labelled as 'shit' and 'not good enough to wear the shirt'. Former players have done that in the past and they are rightly pilloried as a result and come across as bitter gobshites.

It's great to hear former players talk about the current group is such high regard. Maybe more people should try and do that. That's me done. Carry on as you will.