You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is something wrong with our defence

Pureblood

We have only managed four clean sheets this season and seem to struggle with set pieces and high balls into the box. 

Why hasn't Rodgers settled on a CB partnership?  The constant chopping and changing in the back four is hindering us, in my opinion.  And although Mignolet is a great shot stopper he doesn't seem to be the most commanding of goalkeepers when it comes to the aerial ball.

Something is wrong with our...

dfens.jpg

• Upvote 1

We've had too much rotation across the back four due to injuries and the acquisitions of Toure and Sahko.

I wouldn't be too critical of The Mig given that he has a different set of strangers in front of him for each game.

We spent £17m on Sahko. We can't afford to have him on the bench. Where that leaves Agger I don't know.

Well at least this thread won't get shot down in flames TK.  I've no issue with Mignolet, but I do have an issue with the constant shuffling of CBs.  Normally, I like to see the manager select players on their form, but a CB partnership needs time to become established.  Personally, I would pick Sakho and Toure and stick with them, as I believe they are our best two defenders, and as a two would compliment each other.  

Rodgers may feel under pressure to play Agger and Skrtel to keep them sweet, but I would look to sell one of them sooner rather than later.  Toure probably only has another 12 or 18 months in him, so we can't afford to leave ourselves too exposed.  Establishing a regular CB partnership will improve Mignolet's performances too.   

• Upvote 2

Noticed that about Mignolet as well. Aside from the shit distribution, claiming crosses, and hopeful punts into the box, seems to be his only noticeable weakness.

As you've said, the centrebacks get changed every single game, and often not in a way particularly suited to the opposition. Not completely convinced with a single fullback at the club either. Johnson and Enrique are decent but dim. Flanagan offers nothing going forward. Kelly is constantly injured. Cissokho can't defend. Robinson is getting sent off every other week out on loan.

Worrying. Especially when coupled with changing formation every week, and an extremely poorly setup central midfield.

Its all amalgamating, or more accurately, not, into a team that lacks balance. We could be a much better side than we're currently showing. Frustrating stuff.

• Upvote 3

I think one of the problems is that Rodgers has become drawn into setting up the team to accommodate the squad imbalance, rather than use his own system. Playing both strikers, even if one's carrying a knock, going to three at the back due to our abundance of CBs.

When we squeaked the early results and our league position looked good, it was an approach that seemed to stick, because who changes when they're winning?

A settled CB pairing would be great though.

• Upvote 1

One thing is certain, we should never ever play Skrtel at the left side of the defense. He´s always been shit there. Remember he used to play there when paired with Carra and was always shit. When played on the right side or as the middle of the three he can be great. Agger or Sako should be the only options for the left CB spot. 

• Upvote 1

One thing is certain, we should never ever play Skrtel at the left side of the defense. He´s always been shit there. Remember he used to play there when paired with Carra and was always shit. When played on the right side or as the middle of the three he can be great. Agger or Sako should be the only options for the left CB spot.

Agreed. I was mystified to see Skrtel and Toure chosen for Hull. Surely one of Agger and Sakho has to start every game to add some balance? I'd keep Skrtel in the other slot as he's a better player than Toure, in my opinion.

They way i see it is like this:

Skrtel was a goner but injuries to Agger & Toure plus the need to play Sahko and Cissohko forced Rodgers hand. How can you have two completely new players on the left hand side of the team, it was too risky. Plus he must have known from training that Cissohko was not great but with Enrique out, he had no choice. So he went for 3 at the back. This allowed Sahko & Cissohko to "bed in" easier.

They started to play well and we kept on winning. Skrtel & Sahko seemed to flourish more in a back 3 and the team was winning, so he stuck with it.

I don't think he wants to play Skrtel but he played well and earned his place back in the team. But i do think Rodgers knows that he is a liability and has no composure on the ball. Problem is Agger can't handle a big striker and there are plenty of them about n England.

So there's nothing wrong with our midfield but there is with our defence? I believe that our defence is easier fixed than the midfield. As others have said, Rodgers need to settle on his best centre pairing, put a rocket up Johnson's arse and hopefully Enrique will play, once he's back, to the standard we know he can be capable of. The midfield is tougher as I think we need 3 new top notch players.

Sakho should be starting, otherwise it was a waste of funds/

He needs to then pick the best right sided player to partner him either Toure or Skrtel.

Then he needs to stick with this partnership and not chop and change each game.  The defense could also do with playing higher up the field.

So there's nothing wrong with our midfield but there is with our defence?. The midfield is tougher as I think we need 3 new top notch players.

Yep

There is loads wrong with that midfield. It rarely stops attacks and stops balls easily getting to the strikers feet. Thus giving the striker more time and giving the defenders more problems.

Rodgers has got the defensive selections wrong these last two games. Sahko should have started against two powerful strikers but he couldn't really do much with that midfield. We lack pace and strength in there but who do you drop?

Drop Henderson and we have even less pace. Drop Gerrard but for who? Drop Lucas but for who? Allen?

Right about now they are all as bad as each other and each of them is offering very little at the moment. The ghost midfield is offering fuck all cover for the defence and the whole team suffers.

Now we havent even got 3 fit top class attackers either......its not looking good but we just need to keep trying to pick up points until Jan and then try and address it again.

The language thing might be a factor with Sakho, and Rodgers is bedding him in slowly. Which is fair enough, he's clearly going to be in the team long term.

The Agger/Skrtel/Toure thing is strange.

Play Sakho with Toure then, both speak French.

Playing Sakho just because he cost us a good bit of money is silly. We should be putting out the best team on the day. The only problem is we're not doing that.

Agger is our best defender, he should be playing IMO. The problem is him and Skrtel don't work together but Skrtel wasn't being dropped as up until Sunday he was outstanding. I think Agger and Toure is the way forward at the moment, as the latter has been a revelation so far and one of the only players to show any balls.

I think everyone wants Sakho to succeed because he was our big signing of the summer and the guy is a beast but he's looked extremely ropey positionally at times and that wasn't what I was expecting from him. I want him to do well as much as the next person but I'm just not sure ATM. I don't think we should be shoehorning him into the side at left back or some other such nonsense simply because he cost a lot of money.