You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is something wrong with our defence

Pureblood

I think everyone wants Sakho to succeed because he was our big signing of the summer and the guy is a beast but he's looked extremely ropey positionally at times and that wasn't what I was expecting from him. I want him to do well as much as the next person but I'm just not sure ATM. I don't think we should be shoehorning him into the side at left back or some other such nonsense simply because he cost a lot of money.

He's been our best defender and is an excellent player, such statements are starting to become quite ridiculous. Fact that there are still some people out there who don't rate Sakho and are unable to see his class is beyond me and I wonder if people actually watch games or just MotD highlights. 

Toure and Sakho for me. Think they would compliment eachother quite well. Sakho still has a lot to prove but has more of an upside than any of our other centre backs.

Agger and Skrtel can be exceptional on their day but both are wildly inconsistent. Lets not forget that largely under their centre back partnership the team has been finishing seventh and eighth for the past 4 seasons. 

Agger is nowhere near commanding enough and is incredibly poor in the air, especially at set pieces. At home against weak opposition he looks the part but he's not being tested during these games. 

Skrtel is always an accident waiting to happen. He doesn't learn from his mistakes. When will he learn to stop backing away outside the box, just waiting for the opposition player to take the shot on? Benteke at home last season, Rodriguez away last season and now the first and third Hull goals on the weekend and that's just off the top of my head. 

We have about six first team centre backs including Ilori and Wisdom and I still think we're missing something on the right side. 

• Upvote 2

What's wrong with our defence is the midfield in front of it.

In one. Lucas has zero support from Henderson and Gerrard who just ballwatch instead of covering the space that Lucas has left. Also, Lucas stupidly tries to press high when he doesn't have recovery pace and our opponents are basically straight through at the defence who panic every time someone runs at them.

December and no one including our manager has the foggiest on what our best defensive line up is.  That's a major problem on it's own imo.

3 new centre backs + a new goalkeeper + a centre back we used for 15 years, retired

I think we can forgive ourselves for being a little unsure right now

Yip, we'll never find out if he doesn't stick with a pair for more than a game or two either.

I think that is a little unfair. We went to Arsenal 2nd in the league and stuck with the same formation 3-5-2. That is the formation that got us to 2nd in the league.

We lost, the formation was found out and we ditched it for the Fulham game. We won 4-0. Then we had the international break and who knows what condition our players returned in, maybe Sahko was tired after the big pressure games France played.

We went to Everton, changed it up and drew 3-3. if Allen scores we win the game and stay 2nd and within touching distance of 1st.

I think Rodgers really got it wrong against hull, Sahko (if fit) should have started. Flanagan kind of earned his place after the Derby but i think we all know he isnt good enough for a team challenging for top four/league.

So we have only JUST gone back to a back 4 for the last three games. We won one 4-0 as well. It's like everyone thinks he doesnt deserve ANY time to put this right. I think he deserves a break but then im a big fan of his so i suppose im going to defend most of the things he does.

Newcastle 95-96

Pavel Srníček = Mignolet

Warren Barton = Johnson

John Beresford = Enrique

Darren Peacock = Toure

Ruel Fox = Sterling

Steve Howey = Skrtel

Rob Lee =

Peter Beardsley = Gerrard

Les Ferdinand = Sturridge

Lee Clark = Henderson

Scott Sellars = Allen

Faustino Asprilla = Suarez

Marc Hottiger = Cissokho

David Ginola = Coutinho

Shaka Hislop = Jones

Darren Huckerby = Aspas

Jimmy Crawford = Alberto

Keith Gillespie = Moses

Steve Watson = Flanagan

David Batty = Lucas

Chris Holland = Ilori

Paul Brayson = Suso

Robbie Elliott = Sakho

Philippe Albert = Agger

Paul Kitson = Borini

Rodgers will always come a cropper with the defence and central midfield because I get the impression he thinks it's too boring to really give too much of a shit about, a chore which we probably need but wish we didn't because it's such a drag. If Rafa was an accountant Rodgers is a salesman.

"I need someone to buy some defenders and put them at the back to stop the ball going in"

"Let me understand. They put up all the money. I do all the work. What, if you don't mind my asking, would you do?"

"I'd make sure everyone knows about the SAS and The Liverpool Way. I'd see that it had a certain panache. That's what I'm good at. Not the work, not the work... the presentation."

schindler_presentation_small.jpg

Don't want to be negative after a great win but another goal conceded from a cross, why are we conceding so many goals from crosses and set pieces?  I notice that Mignolet stays rooted to his line a lot and forwards are finding space in the area for free headers.  These two things are combining to make this a chronic problem.  What is the solution?  Sakho?

If you watch the game back the cross is sterlings fault. Johnson is unsure who sterling is picking up, so he stands off thinking the fullback might overlap. But by the time Sterling gets back in, Johnson can't close it down in time.

Then its another case of Agger getting beaten in the air by a more physical player then himself. It just happens to much with him and i really do love Agger but its too many times over too many years for me.

Him and Skrtel arent top class and i've been saying it for a couple of years.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Don't want to be negative after a great win but another goal conceded from a cross, why are we conceding so many goals from crosses and set pieces?  I notice that Mignolet stays rooted to his line a lot and forwards are finding space in the area for free headers.  These two things are combining to make this a chronic problem.  What is the solution?  Sakho?

It's nothing to do with Mignolet. It's to do with having centre backs who aren't good in the air (Agger and Skrtel), fullbacks who quite simply either can't stop crosses or if it's a corner have no earthly idea how to defend against them as part of a unit, and midfielders with absolutely no physical presence in the air. It's not something that's new, btw. This has been going on since Rafa was here and people were blaming it on zonal marking.

Sakho would definitely help. So would a fullback who can jockey and close down a little bit better. Replacing (and you're going to love this) the central midfield pairing with the likes of Matic and Fernando will give us height, power, and strength, plus mobility and forward involvement in general play. Anyway, that's not going to happen so get used to it. 

Not so long ago these players were part of a really strong defence and now are nothing more then headless chickens. Everyone can say which pairing is the best but I don't believe it matters as there is no effective coaching going on from what I can see over the past season and a half. Therefore what's wrong with our defence is Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

I don't see how Matic and Fernando are going to stop people crossing the ball.  Whoever is in midfield at some point the other team will cross the ball.  I'm sure Sam Allardyce will give us a nice demonstration of this in the next match.  

On Mignolet, I'm not saying it's all his fault but would you not concede that he lacks a bit of presence on crosses and high balls?  I'm going to keep an eye on this and see how many he comes and claims.  Obviously it's not always on him and some crosses the keeper has to stay on the line but I'd like to see him be a bit more assertive.  

Not so long ago these players were part of a really strong defence and now are nothing more then headless chickens. Everyone can say which pairing is the best but I don't believe it matters as there is no effective coaching going on from what I can see over the past season and a half. Therefore what's wrong with our defence is Rodgers.

I think there's some truth in this.  He has to sort it out, especially for away games. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't see how Matic and Fernando are going to stop people crossing the ball.

There are a few things I'd say in response to that. Firstly, I did say that it was about having fullbacks who couldn't stop crosses. Secondly, in regards to Matic and Fernando, I was really talking about defending set-pieces; when do we ever see Allen, Hendo or Lucas out jumping a man and heading the ball away? Never is the answer. Finally, even if we are talking about open play, they're so much more energetic than our current midfield pair that they can do what most defensive midfielders are tasked with, which is covering in fullback areas. Mascherano was forever in those areas, stopping wingers, shielding the ball or keeping the cross from coming in. We don't seem to do that.

Whoever is in midfield at some point the other team will cross the ball.  I'm sure Sam Allardyce will give us a nice demonstration of this in the next match.

Absolutely, crosses from open play and a number of set-pieces are going to come in. That's an issue for the central defence and the opposite fullback. We've now got somebody who can be dominant in the air, but we've not played him. I think Rodgers needs his head examined if he doesn't play Sakho against West Ham. They're all about those types of plays.

On Mignolet, I'm not saying it's all his fault but would you not concede that he lacks a bit of presence on crosses and high balls?  I'm going to keep an eye on this and see how many he comes and claims.  Obviously it's not always on him and some crosses the keeper has to stay on the line but I'd like to see him be a bit more assertive.

He's not a keeper that is dominant in the air like Begovic or some of the tall Italian and German keepers have been down the years. I don't mind that too much, but it requires the central defenders to get their noggin on the ball. Agger, who I think is a really good player, just loses his marker and can't recover. It does start to piss me off after a while. Skrtel isn't much better in the air.