You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What do you think?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I strongly agree
    • I strongly disagree
    • I agree
    • I disagree
    • I am unsure.

Guest Pistonbroke

Manchester United will not be punished by Uefa after some of their fans sang offensive Hillsborough disaster chants in a Europa League defeat at Liverpool.

United's Marouane Fellaini has also escaped sanction for an alleged elbow on Emre Can in the final moments.

Uefa decided to take no action as neither incident was mentioned in the match officials' report.

Liverpool won the first leg of their last-16 tie 2-0 at Anfield and the return takes place on Thursday.

Officials are set to pay closer attention to chants at Old Trafford.

United have said such chants "have no place in the game".

Ninety-six Liverpool fans died in an FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough between the Reds and Nottingham Forest in 1989.

The Old Trafford club have previously been subject to offensive chants themselves concerning the 1958 Munich air disaster, in which eight players and three club officials were among 23 people who lost their lives in a crash following a European Cup tie.

Former Liverpool midfielder Ray Houghton told BBC Radio 5 live the chants at Anfield last Thursday were "dreadful", while ex-Manchester United striker Dion Dublin called them "disgusting".

A story in the Sun newspaper four days after the Hillsborough disaster criticised the behaviour of Liverpool fans at the game. The newspaper is still widely boycotted in Merseyside as a result.

"There were chants during the first half - 'the Sun was right', referring to the Hillsborough tragedy," said BBC Sport's Juliette Ferrington, who was at Anfield.

"It wasn't continuous but it was clearly audible, maybe four or five times. It kind of got drowned out. The noise at the game was deafening.

"It happened again just after the full-time whistle - it was drowned out by: 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and 'we won it five times' [a reference to Liverpool's five European Cup triumphs]. There was lots of saddened head-shaking in the press-box."

And Felani's elbow? Anything being done about that?

As Can did say it was nothing and the referee missed it there was never going to be any action over that . More pissed they have ducked the chanting issue,

The club needs to grow a pair now and ban the fuckers

• Upvote 1

Liverpool F.C. did not file a complaint and has no influence inside UEFA. The same for the FA.

David Gill - 

Board member - Manchester United Football Club, The Football Association, UEFA Executive Committee and FIFA Executive Committee

Thank fuck there isn't an conflict of interests there.

Gill has orchestrated the whole Suarez-racist campaign. I suspect that he was also behind the old drunk's comments about "a small minority expressing their views" shite, regarding their fans chants about the Hillsborough Disaster. 

Maybe they didn't punish them as they won't be their problem next season.

Ingenius explanation, as per usual from yourself.

Somebody on RAWK is claiming that a few of our supporters are on Twitter saying that they're trying to order inflatable planes in time to take on Thursday.

If true, yeah, that'll help! Hopefully they'll get a clip round the ear from our lot.

Whoppers.

I really hope this doesn't happen. We won't get away with it. 

So if our lot turn up at Old Trafford on Thursday with songs about that Nixon lad at Palace, the elderly couple at Middlesbrough & the Munich air disaster they're perfectly fine?

At least we know where we stand now, anything's fair game as long as you don't boo the UEFA music.

Little doubt that United are the establishment brand, while Liverpool remain outsiders. Likewise, I'm quite sure there would be a totally different level of reaction had the opposite occurred last week, so hopefully none of our lot play into United's hands (or at least those of their fanbase) on Thursday.

Hopefully we get an early goal and any anger on our side is defused by the satisfaction, for want of a better word, to be had in watching them self-destruct and show themselves up while more eyes than normal are watching for their behaviour. Seems more than just the result is at stake now this has been raised publicly, as we all know plans will be afoot to provoke a reaction which can be triumphantly siezed upon.

As so many have pointed out, it's the obvious coordination involved and sheer numbers taking part on their side which make it so nauseating. I'm usually not keen to label a whole fanbase due to the handful of krill all clubs have within their support who revel in this type of sewage, but anyone claiming that's the case with United here is actively pretending they don't see the scale of it or stupid/naive beyond measure.

As Rapey said, bollocks to what happened 30-40 years ago, the world has moved on.

Our side isn't helped when we've got the "local" paper publishing an editorial piece condemning United fans for their "murderers" chants.

How about removing the ambiguity and the "it's about Heysel" wriggle room and....er...actually report the facts that they were chanting "The S*n was right, you're murderers" - a song that is clearly about Hillsborough.

Don't give the cunts an ounce of wriggle room, or the chance to flip the narrative around to it being one of those poor Scousers, playing the victim again, offended by everything ashamed of nothing etc etc.

Sort it out, James Pearce and the Echo.

• Upvote 1

The problem is that nothing seems to be getting done about this. Many of their away fans were singing. I predict we'll have some 'payback' with a couple of divvies singing about Munich or even (I hope not) getting inflatable aeroplanes. 

It won't be right, but when the powers that be don't act, it brings out the basest fan element to defend their corner. 

I think the club needs to get involved. Record it. Document it. Give a press release. Warn then ban the fans who do it. The paradigm needs to change, and I don't think anybody can do it unless the club officially takes it on. 

Man Utd will be free to do it on their end as well. If they have evidence of misbehavior from our fans, produce it and root it out. It's gone on long enough. Sort it out.