You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rooting for you Cath. You might find huge benefits, I'm still on the meds and often get a feeling of being elsewhere/pissed, I'm looking forward to ditching them at some point and being 'back in the room'.

That’s 2 replies I’ve written to you that has been swallowed in the ether.

Thanks for your kind words and support and hopefully at some point I can give you a fuller response

If you ever need to chat, just let me know. It's a turbulent road (going off and on medication) but remember you can control the storm.

Thanks for your support Mr/Ms Seasons. I’ve travelled this road before but at least each time I feel a bit better prepared to manage the potential outcome. I’ve felt good for a long time but have waited until I have felt ready to accept what may be ahead before coming off the tablets again. Fingers crossed

Thanks for your support Mr/Ms Seasons. I’ve travelled this road before but at least each time I feel a bit better prepared to manage the potential outcome. I’ve felt good for a long time but have waited until I have felt ready to accept what may be ahead before coming off the tablets again. Fingers crossed

You'll get through it and come out the other side. When you struggle with anxiety/depression you just have to accept that you'll have periods of good and bad but there's always a light.

You'll get through it and come out the other side. When you struggle with anxiety/depression you just have to accept that you'll have periods of good and bad but there's always a light.

What I still struggle with is getting to my late 40s with no hint of depression but having experienced it once not seeming to be able to properly shake it off...almost as if it’s a virus that lies dormant for a bit and then resurfaces without explanation

• Upvote 1

What I still struggle with is getting to my late 40s with no hint of depression but having experienced it once not seeming to be able to properly shake it off...almost as if it’s a virus that lies dormant for a bit and then resurfaces without explanation

If meds help then take them, there's no shame in it.

Thanks.

Been on and off since 2012. It’s no biggie. As much an encouragement to others to keep going

I was on Venlafaxine for years as I am very highly strung and have irrational anxieties (though my general disposition is very calm and relaxed). I've been off Venlafaxine now for 8 months and although I am coping, I do miss the feeling of being 'levelled out' by the meds but I stopped due to side effects.

• Upvote 1

Always here Cath x
  • Upvote 1

This is unbelievably accurate, I almost now have a bit of anxiety when I either don't get enough exercise in or when things get stressful. In particular after a few bout with the demon drink those bomb bay doors open and I can feel myself falling through.

I hope you feel better soon Champ

This is unbelievably accurate, I almost now have a bit of anxiety when I either don't get enough exercise in or when things get stressful. In particular after a few bout with the demon drink those bomb bay doors open and I can feel myself falling through.

I hope you feel better soon Champ

I do now. Long may it continue

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Both my otherwise 'normal' mates have had breakdowns in the last six months. One of whom never really believed anxiety and depression existed yet ended up borderline suicidal. Myself and another mate with history of it helped bring him back from the edge and are currently doing the same with the second mate now.

What's going on out there?

Both my otherwise 'normal' mates have had breakdowns in the last six months. One of whom never really believed anxiety and depression existed yet ended up borderline suicidal. Myself and another mate with history of it helped bring him back from the edge and are currently doing the same with the second mate now.

What's going on out there?

It's just part of modern life now. I do wonder if mental illness was as common back in centuries past or we're are just conditioned that way now as there are no real struggles (wars, survival, etc).

It's just part of modern life now. I do wonder if mental illness was as common back in centuries past or we're are just conditioned that way now as there are no real struggles (wars, survival, etc).

I think something is definitely affoot. Whether it's the pressures of social media, or borderline subliminal messages designed to keep us all working hard (better stay on your toes because rents are going up - work harder you cunts!)

It's resulted in real insecurity. Jobs, benefits, affordability. Having some idea of where you're going to be this time next year. I think that existed in the past, no more now.

I think something is definitely affoot. Whether it's the pressures of social media, or borderline subliminal messages designed to keep us all working hard (better stay on your toes because rents are going up - work harder you cunts!)

It's resulted in real insecurity. Jobs, benefits, affordability. Having some idea of where you're going to be this time next year. I think that existed in the past, no more now.

People just tended to get on with things in the past (well that's the impression I get) That's not a dig at modern folk, as I agree we are being conditioned from when take our first steps. Social media is definitely making things worse, as are phones that are permanently glued to our faces.

It’ll be ten years in November since my auntie committed suicide whilst I was in the next room. I posted about it one time on here a few years ago but it’s obviously not something I like to speak or think about.

Her brother, my uncle, pretty much the head of our family, has been quite publicly sinking into a deep depression since his marriage broke down last year. Questioning life on Facebook, lost a load of weight, lost his job, etc.

I’d organised for him to come and stay at ours next weekend, even if it’s only to get away from everything and clear his head for a couple of days. Last night the daft bugger tried to cancel, saying he’s got no money, so there’s no chance he could come.

I had to remind him of all the times he’s looked out for me over the years, both financially and otherwise, and that there’s no need to worry about cash. It’ll be my pleasure to put him up, cover him for a few beers and drive him home if it has even a small chance of doing any good for him at all.

He’s agreed to come down but keeps apologising and thanking me. It’s upsetting to me to see someone so strong at such a low ebb and I’m hopeful a good chat with Mrs Turdseye will help him a little bit as well. She’s sunk even further over the last two or three years but she’s well on her way back up now, so can empathise with what he’s going through a bit more.

• Upvote 4

50mg sertraline.

That's the common starting dose for anti-depressants. It'll either go up or down depending on what works for you. Remember though, medication should be supportive of other therapies. If you ever wish to discuss what's available out there and how you can get that help, feel free to send me a message, mate. Happy to listen should you ever need to get some headspace. 

It’ll be ten years in November since my auntie committed suicide whilst I was in the next room. I posted about it one time on here a few years ago but it’s obviously not something I like to speak or think about.

Her brother, my uncle, pretty much the head of our family, has been quite publicly sinking into a deep depression since his marriage broke down last year. Questioning life on Facebook, lost a load of weight, lost his job, etc.

I’d organised for him to come and stay at ours next weekend, even if it’s only to get away from everything and clear his head for a couple of days. Last night the daft bugger tried to cancel, saying he’s got no money, so there’s no chance he could come.

I had to remind him of all the times he’s looked out for me over the years, both financially and otherwise, and that there’s no need to worry about cash. It’ll be my pleasure to put him up, cover him for a few beers and drive him home if it has even a small chance of doing any good for him at all.

He’s agreed to come down but keeps apologising and thanking me. It’s upsetting to me to see someone so strong at such a low ebb and I’m hopeful a good chat with Mrs Turdseye will help him a little bit as well. She’s sunk even further over the last two or three years but she’s well on her way back up now, so can empathise with what he’s going through a bit more.

Well done for reaching out and speaking about your auntie. I can imagine how difficult that is to write about or even look back and eflect on.

With regards to your uncle, it's really great to offer your support. One thing I would suggest is try not to present 'solutions' as the ownership of recovery should be placed on him (by all means offer him professional services too and ask if he wants any company if he doesn't feel confident attending). If he wishes to speak about it, let him and try not to interrupt or review how 'silly' things may be - positive reenforcement should be the main approach here (e.g. 'It's a huge achievement just speaking about your problems and that's the first step to getting to where you'd like to be').

It's a long pathway but again, well done here bud. If you need any help, just let me know.

Hope it all goes well with your uncle. I always feel a little bit awkward reading this thread as I don't have any great personal experience with depression. Not in myself, I mean, but in others around me.

Try not to be, the most important skill is learning how to ask someone how they are. You don't have to 'fix' the problem or even have experience in it to help. You could even do something incredible right now by asking those around you how they're getting on. Checking in can sometimes be the difference to someone reaching out. 

• Upvote 1

Well done for reaching out and speaking about your auntie. I can imagine how difficult that is to write about or even look back and eflect on.

With regards to your uncle, it's really great to offer your support. One thing I would suggest is try not to present 'solutions' as the ownership of recovery should be placed on him (by all means offer him professional services too and ask if he wants any company if he doesn't feel confident attending). If he wishes to speak about it, let him and try not to interrupt or review how 'silly' things may be - positive reenforcement should be the main approach here (e.g. 'It's a huge achievement just speaking about your problems and that's the first step to getting to where you'd like to be')

Cheers for that. The bit in bold was already going to be the only thing I’d have to offer.

I moved away six years ago, don’t go home all that often and when I do it’s always a rush around trying to see everybody with the kids. Consequently we’re not as close as we used to be, so on a personal level it will be nice to have the time to catch up and we’ll have plenty of shit to talk about that doesn’t involve his mental health.

Cheers for that. The bit in bold was already going to be the only thing I’d have to offer.

I moved away six years ago, don’t go home all that often and when I do it’s always a rush around trying to see everybody with the kids. Consequently we’re not as close as we used to be, so on a personal level it will be nice to have the time to catch up and we’ll have plenty of shit to talk about that doesn’t involve his mental health.

Most of the clients I work with don't want anything more than that (other than therapy, obviously). I don't think you can really put into words how much it means to someone when they have someone who listen's and validates their issues. I've heard them all so I don't think there's anything that surprises me anymore:

"I think everything thinks I'm not normal so I leave parties/outings early"

"I'm worried about everything even to the point of thinking it would be better not being here anymore"

"I'm a burden and just bring everyone down."

"Everyone thinks I'm doing well but when I compare myself to them I'm old, have nothing to live for, it's too late to change"

"I'm worried that if I go to sleep I might not wake up."

"Something happened in the past/recent (e.g. trauma/change of circumstances/lifestyle) and I can't have the life I wanted"

"I'm doing well but I feel I have nothing to live for and I don't know why"

"I'm afraid that if I go outside, my neighbours will be watching me so I worry if my parking is annoying them"

"I'm worried we're all going to die due to global warming"

"I don't feel like I add anything to anything."

"I'm ok but I'm just constantly exhausted and feel shit".

Just by saying, "it's actually really normal to feel like this and it doesn't mean it's permenant. Sometimes we just need to talk the first step and tell someone how we're feeling. And you've done that, so well done on reaching the first milestone - a massive achievement right there." 

Validation is all people want. Validation that what they are experiencing isn't because they are weak, that they are somewhat different, that it isn't a disease or illness that they always have to have, that actually, someone fucking cares about them and wants to support them through it. 

I hope your catch up goes well mate. It's these moments that we can look back on and think, "actually, I loved that. Seeing you was great. Sharing our stories, our ups and downs, was a laugh. Lets do more of this." 

All the fucking best, fella.

That's the common starting dose for anti-depressants. It'll either go up or down depending on what works for you. Remember though, medication should be supportive of other therapies. If you ever wish to discuss what's available out there and how you can get that help, feel free to send me a message, mate. Happy to listen should you ever need to get some headspace.

Had sertraline and fluoxetine in the past.