You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So far so good. I've not had the withdrawal symptoms I've had on previous occasions but in the last few days I've been experiencing a few symptoms which I'm now putting down to withdrawal, including a twitch in my left thumb which is buckin annoying...but like the picture above says, nothing lasts and I'm hoping it'll pass...otherwise it's the first stages of Parkinson's

I've heard twitchy thumb is a common one, either when experiencing withdrawals or overdose of antidepressants.

Yeah twitching hands is pretty common. I've had the thumb thing today and sometimes my right index finger, had it for years off and one I'd be well dead by now if it was anything suss. The physical impacts of anxiety never fail to astound me, apparently you can just get random stiffies with it.

I've heard twitchy thumb is a common one, either when experiencing withdrawals or overdose of antidepressants.

I wish I’d never mentioned the bloody thing...it’s been driving me nuts today

Physical anxiety symptoms I've sufferd in the past:

Bad guts

Feeling I'm going to shit myself

Feeling I'm going to piss myself

Twitching hands

Ball in the chest and inability to breathe properly

Pins and needles in my feet

Pins and needles in my face

Facial muscle spasms

Muscular spasms in the midrif

Say, I wouldn't wish it on anyone when it goes full pelt.

• Upvote 2

Starting a phased withdrawal from my anti depressants. Fingers crossed.

I’m so looking forward to being able to cry if I want to

So far so good. I've not had the withdrawal symptoms I've had on previous occasions but in the last few days I've been experiencing a few symptoms which I'm now putting down to withdrawal, including a twitch in my left thumb which is buckin annoying...but like the picture above says, nothing lasts and I'm hoping it'll pass...otherwise it's the first stages of Parkinson's

And if Dave hadn't pulled the plug out yesterday I'd have told that I cried, probably for the first time since I started taking the tabs. Its definitely one of the oddest aspects for me of taking Citalopram. I dont know if you get the same effect from other anti depressants but when I'm taking it I seem to lose the ability to cry and certainly shed tears. I get the feeling of sadness but can't get the release of crying and tears. Now, I dont want to be crying all the time but sometimes a good blub is just what you need. Weird

• Upvote 1

Physical anxiety symptoms I've sufferd in the past:

Bad guts

Feeling I'm going to shit myself

Feeling I'm going to piss myself

Twitching hands

Ball in the chest and inability to breathe properly

Pins and needles in my feet

Pins and needles in my face

Facial muscle spasms

Muscular spasms in the midrif

Say, I wouldn't wish it on anyone when it goes full pelt.

Quite common symptoms of anxiety there. 

More information here: http://www.selfhelpguides.ntw.nhs.uk/penninecare/leaflets/selfhelp/Anxiety.pdf

Headspace is great but it's not for everyone. 

For those trying Headspace please remember that mindfulness is a learnt skill and often some people really struggle with this relaxation technique. Each time you do this, you'll often get a different outcome and sometimes this may be unsuccessful. 

Great app. 

Is there any good apps similar to this but with a female voice?

Im a bit weird and can't get in the zone with a bloke talking to me.

You could try the Calm app. 

Alternatively, try page 17 of this: http://www.selfhelpguides.ntw.nhs.uk/penninecare/leaflets/selfhelp/Panic.pdf

Anyone had any issues with Sertraline?

Takes forever to jizz, not tried sex yet because I'm a loner, but it takes forever to get there with some DIY.

Sensitive to the heat, pissing with sweat if I get even slightly too warm.

Vivid dreams, feel like I've had a shit night's sleep every night, and pissing with sweat during the night too regardless of temperature, so much so that I usually have to change my t-shirt and undies and swap pillows and sleep on the dry side every night.

Usually a massive effort to drag my arse out of bed, ended up having to download an app that makes me scan a barcode on a toothpaste tube to force me to get up and walk to the bathroom, missed work a couple of days because at the time sleeping was more important than my job.

Drowsiness during the day when I'm bored, you know the feeling when you've been sat in a meeting/presentation for a couple of hours and you start zoning out a bit? Like that but turned up a couple of gears.

Appetite isn't really there, I still eat but it's more out of habit because I know it's tea time, been more than a few occasions that I've fucked it off entirely though because I couldn't be arsed.

Minor headaches occasionally.

I think that's it, I'm due to go the docs again tomorrow. I've only been on sert so long because they were gradually increasing the dosage and didn't want to rule it out as not working til I'd hit the maximum.

Hopefully they'll change it to something that works.

Pain in the arse because the doctors and councillors and whoever else keep saying things might improve if you get more sleep, eat properly, and get some exercise but the Sertraline fucks my sleep, fucks my appetite, and makes me tired.

The depression and anxiety has improved a bit, but I feel like the tools to improve myself outside of the meds are taken away from me.

Takes forever to jizz, not tried sex yet because I'm a loner, but it takes forever to get there with some DIY.

Sensitive to the heat, pissing with sweat if I get even slightly too warm.

Vivid dreams, feel like I've had a shit night's sleep every night, and pissing with sweat during the night too regardless of temperature, so much so that I usually have to change my t-shirt and undies and swap pillows and sleep on the dry side every night.

Usually a massive effort to drag my arse out of bed, ended up having to download an app that makes me scan a barcode on a toothpaste tube to force me to get up and walk to the bathroom, missed work a couple of days because at the time sleeping was more important than my job.

Drowsiness during the day when I'm bored, you know the feeling when you've been sat in a meeting/presentation for a couple of hours and you start zoning out a bit? Like that but turned up a couple of gears.

Appetite isn't really there, I still eat but it's more out of habit because I know it's tea time, been more than a few occasions that I've fucked it off entirely though because I couldn't be arsed.

Minor headaches occasionally.

I think that's it, I'm due to go the docs again tomorrow. I've only been on sert so long because they were gradually increasing the dosage and didn't want to rule it out as not working til I'd hit the maximum.

Hopefully they'll change it to something that works.

Pain in the arse because the doctors and councillors and whoever else keep saying things might improve if you get more sleep, eat properly, and get some exercise but the Sertraline fucks my sleep, fucks my appetite, and makes me tired.

The depression and anxiety has improved a bit, but I feel like the tools to improve myself outside of the meds are taken away from me.

That sounds terrible. I hope your doctor thinks so too and tries you on something else

Six and a half years on the prozac now and its got to the stage where the Drs aren't even reviewing it anymore. I'm thinking of trying to come off them but i'm dreading it.

What are you dreading, TL?

Fingers crossed, mister. It works for me.

Were you asked to go back for a follow up appointment?

Yeah I'm going back in 4 weeks, if it's working then cool, if not then the dosage gets put up and I'll have to wait another month.

That's probably the most frustrating part about it, it's taken 6 months to find out the Sertraline was no good, with the gradual increases in dosage along the way.

I'm probably being too impatient, I know there's no quick fix, but I don't want to spend years trying to get where I want to be.

Anyone had any issues with Sertraline?

Loads of people I used to work with. Some of the negative affect really pissed people off, and seemed counter-productive: lethargy and reduced activity seemed exactly like the symptoms they had before commencing itm and I wondered how it benefited people, beyond raising the lows and reducing the anxiety. Citalapram seemed much more effective. I wonder if the price point determines prescription.. 

Loads of people I used to work with. Some of the negative affect really pissed people off, and seemed counter-productive: lethargy and reduced activity seemed exactly like the symptoms they had before commencing itm and I wondered how it benefited people, beyond raising the lows and reducing the anxiety. Citalapram seemed much more effective. I wonder if the price point determines prescription.. 

The common ones I come across are: 

Citalopram

Sertraline 

Prozac/fluoxetine. 

I wouldn't say price point determines it - I think it's simply which one works for you. I've seen people switch dosage and almost instantly feel better. 

Medication is there to stabilise symptoms - not cure the problem. Often if sometime doesn't feel right it's best to consult your GP who can adjust the mg's. 

Yeah I'm going back in 4 weeks, if it's working then cool, if not then the dosage gets put up and I'll have to wait another month.

That's probably the most frustrating part about it, it's taken 6 months to find out the Sertraline was no good, with the gradual increases in dosage along the way.

I'm probably being too impatient, I know there's no quick fix, but I don't want to spend years trying to get where I want to be.

Glad to hear. Some of the follow up others have described has sounded pretty hit and miss.

But the time frames are a challenge, though, arent they? In a world where we've become conditioned to almost instant responses, having to wait several weeks just to see if a certain medication is going to work can seem really disheartening requiring a whole new mindset.

If it's any consolation I noticed a difference pretty quickly when I was changed from Fluoxetine to Citalopram and with relapses my GP has simply re-prescribed it and it's clicked in a matter of days.

PS The twitch has disappeared *big smiley face*