You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Headspace is great but it's not for everyone. 

For those trying Headspace please remember that mindfulness is a learnt skill and often some people really struggle with this relaxation technique. Each time you do this, you'll often get a different outcome and sometimes this may be unsuccessful. 

Great app. 

You could try the Calm app.

Hi, Buoy - you clearly work in the field.  My wife is also in the field and uses Headspace regularly. She uses it with various groups and also with people who are overwhelmed, and the three-minute meditations have a great effect.

She agrees that Calm is also good but Headspace seems to get more positive feedback. I don't know what you think?

Being mindful is a new way of living, that is true, and it’s only through practice that you reap greater benefits. Obviously Mindfulness is part of a holistic self-care package.  Exercise, nutrition, positive support people, maybe meds, but the research on Mindfulness is huge and can be of significant benefit to those suffering stress and anxiety.

Headspace makes learning the Mindfulness skill very simple because it is full of easy to understand animations.

Hi, Buoy - you clearly work in the field.  My wife is also in the field and uses Headspace regularly. She uses it with various groups and also with people who are overwhelmed, and the three-minute meditations have a great effect.

She agrees that Calm is also good but Headspace seems to get more positive feedback. I don't know what you think?

Being mindful is a new way of living, that is true, and it’s only through practice that you reap greater benefits. Obviously Mindfulness is part of a holistic self-care package.  Exercise, nutrition, positive support people, maybe meds, but the research on Mindfulness is huge and can be of significant benefit to those suffering stress and anxiety.

Headspace makes learning the Mindfulness skill very simple because it is full of easy to understand animations.

I'd just like to confirm that I may, or may not work in the field. For the purpose of this discussion, I have an interest in mental health and I like reading a lot of material that makes me quite knowledgable in mental health. I would advise that anyone reading any advice I give to take it with a pinch of salt as I am solely a member of the public and therefore my opinion is not professional or represents any professional body.

Just something I have to underline, unfortunately.

I've seen a mixed response. The 3-minute mindfulness exercise isn't Headspace specific, it's a normal meditation exercise. I've heard that people simply do not like his voice, can't get into it, find it a bit "fairy/modern age" etc. On the contrast, I've seen people love the app and use it on the train to work or before bedtime. I don't think the question is which is best, but more whether mindfulness if the best approach for that individual. 

Personally, I suggest people use it as a 'check in' exercise. If they struggle, continue but try other methods such as running for 10 minutes and thinking about your day (without music). The key factors in self care are: Health & Fitness, Self-development/care, Social, Family, Friends and Work. You can apply any model to either of those states to help improve your overall wellness. 

Worst month of my life I'd say. Found out my dad's probably terminally ill ( awaiting results but doctor seemed sure). Mrs nephew died four weeks ago today at 19 then she's found out she's losing her job at end of month.

I'm holding up but these are the tough times

I hope you have some good family and friends, ted

• Upvote 1

Takes forever to jizz, not tried sex yet because I'm a loner, but it takes forever to get there with some DIY.

Sensitive to the heat, pissing with sweat if I get even slightly too warm.

Vivid dreams, feel like I've had a shit night's sleep every night, and pissing with sweat during the night too regardless of temperature, so much so that I usually have to change my t-shirt and undies and swap pillows and sleep on the dry side every night.

Usually a massive effort to drag my arse out of bed, ended up having to download an app that makes me scan a barcode on a toothpaste tube to force me to get up and walk to the bathroom, missed work a couple of days because at the time sleeping was more important than my job.

Drowsiness during the day when I'm bored, you know the feeling when you've been sat in a meeting/presentation for a couple of hours and you start zoning out a bit? Like that but turned up a couple of gears.

Appetite isn't really there, I still eat but it's more out of habit because I know it's tea time, been more than a few occasions that I've fucked it off entirely though because I couldn't be arsed.

Minor headaches occasionally.

I think that's it, I'm due to go the docs again tomorrow. I've only been on sert so long because they were gradually increasing the dosage and didn't want to rule it out as not working til I'd hit the maximum.

Hopefully they'll change it to something that works.

Pain in the arse because the doctors and councillors and whoever else keep saying things might improve if you get more sleep, eat properly, and get some exercise but the Sertraline fucks my sleep, fucks my appetite, and makes me tired.

The depression and anxiety has improved a bit, but I feel like the tools to improve myself outside of the meds are taken away from me.

Update:

Took me off Sertraline, put me on Citalopram and it's exactly what I was hoping for, side effects have all but disappeared.

I finally feel normal, little anxiety, little depression, no night sweats.

Dreams are still quite vivid but not to the point where I'm having restless sleep.

Easier to get out of bed.

Small amount of drowsiness around 4-6 hours after I take the tablets, but I'm just going to start taking them at night instead.

Don't feel tired all the time so I'm able to go the gym.

I feel enthusiastic about things again, I'm not saying that things are 100% perfect, but at the very beginning of all this I felt like I was having more good than bad days, then gradually over time I was having more and more bad days, until it was at the stage where it was rare to have good days.

Now it's like having more good than bad again.

And I can jizz again! You need to try this stuff FG.

I'm just disappointed that it's taken 7 months to get to this point, I was telling the doc after 4 weeks that I don't think the Sertraline is right for me, wish I'd been a bit more pushy to have it changed.

Good news all around.

• Upvote 2

Ideally I'd like to take something that makes me even better.

Like a PED for mental health.

Head steds.

Wouldn't know how to go about asking my gp for something like that though. I'd feel like a junkie trying to blag some cheap drugs off the doctor.

Update:

Took me off Sertraline, put me on Citalopram and it's exactly what I was hoping for, side effects have all but disappeared.

I finally feel normal, little anxiety, little depression, no night sweats.

Dreams are still quite vivid but not to the point where I'm having restless sleep.

Easier to get out of bed.

Small amount of drowsiness around 4-6 hours after I take the tablets, but I'm just going to start taking them at night instead.

Don't feel tired all the time so I'm able to go the gym.

I feel enthusiastic about things again, I'm not saying that things are 100% perfect, but at the very beginning of all this I felt like I was having more good than bad days, then gradually over time I was having more and more bad days, until it was at the stage where it was rare to have good days.

Now it's like having more good than bad again.

And I can jizz again! You need to try this stuff FG.

I'm just disappointed that it's taken 7 months to get to this point, I was telling the doc after 4 weeks that I don't think the Sertraline is right for me, wish I'd been a bit more pushy to have it changed.

Good news all around.

Great news, aventus.

And if having had depression has taught me anything it has been about not looking for the positives in any given situation and how they can be taken into the future.

And you can use the experience to press for trying something different if you have a similar experience in the future