You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Guest davelfc
I think they had planned to use Kenny for the run in and then go for their own man last summer, but our form during the run in prevented that and pretty much forced them to give Kenny the job.

As what would the reaction have been if they didnt give Kenny the contract, and whoever they brought in had some bad results, people would have gone mental.

You mean more mental than now?

Not saying that he will get the job, but if he doesn't fancy the transfer targets that we had before Kenny left, would he have a say in changing the targets or trying to get the players he already had in mind? If you were a new manager, wouldn't you want your players/staff?

I think they had planned to use Kenny for the run in and then go for their own man last summer, but our form during the run in prevented that and pretty much forced them to give Kenny the job.

As what would the reaction have been if they didnt give Kenny the contract, and whoever they brought in had some bad results, people would have gone mental.

The above is possible.

My own view is that KK's appointment was the easy fit - so they went with it.

I think that therewould have been much merit, and credit to all. If FSG had acknowledged the great job that KK had done for ha;f a season( he had), and said they wanted his brain sin the board room as a non exec director advising on football, and a new man as a permanent manager to take the club forwards on the pitch.

That would have been a credible, and logical move. It would also have allowed KK to make a graceful and glorious exit. Of course some would have moaned, they always do, but wiyh him in the board room there would have been positives.

I am amazed that there has not been more uproar that KKs services have not been re-employed as a suit.

Yeah, dont get me wrong. I think it was harsh, to say the least, to sack Kenny after this season. Dont want to get into if it was right or wrong, but personally i think it was wrong. I understand their, FSG's, reasoning and timing with it though.

Rodgers is not my first choice by a long way, but when the alternative is Martinez it will feel like we have appointed Guardiola.

In that regard they have played a blinder, because it certainly would have been underwhelming if we went straight to Rodgers and got him.

If we take ourselves back 14 months ago and remember our mindset and the atmosphere around the club, there'd have been rioting had they not given Kenny the managers job. We were playing great football with limited resources, we were blooding the youth players, and all signs pointed towards nailed on CL football this season just gone. Any attempts to move him upstairs after those 5 months in charge would have been met with outrage because every one of us believed he was the man to take us forward long term. Even the media agenda at the time was very very pro Kenny.

Rodgers is not my first choice by a long way, but when the alternative is Martinez it will feel like we have appointed Guardiola.

In that regard they have played a blinder, because it certainly would have been underwhelming if we went straight to Rodgers and got him.

Makes one wonder if they could be that calculated, using simple childs psychology to swing the opinions of fans, tho fans are a fickle bunch, so anything's possible i guess.

Anyway, reading up on Rodgers it truly looks like he's cut from the right cloth to have a bright future in management. Went to Barcelona and Ajax to pick up and learn their from their coaching methods, he's worked under Mourinho, stands for a possession based high pressing game and he still goes to Spain to develop himself as a coach.

I like the cut of his jib;

"I like teams to control and dominate the ball, so the players are hungry for the ball," Rodgers says. "You'll see in some of our exercises this morning, a lot of our work is around the transition and getting the ball back very quickly. Because I believe if you give a bad player time, he can play. If you give a good player time, he can kill you. So our emphasis is based around our positioning both with and without the ball. And for us, when we press well, we pass well."

Winning the ball back quickly and high up the pitch was a key feature of Barcelona's approach under Pep Guardiola and, as Rodgers explains, is much more sophisticated than it may appear. "You cannot go on your own," he says. "You work on zonal pressure, so that when it is in your zone, you have the capacity to press. That ability to press immediately, within five or six seconds to get the ball, is important. But you also have to understand when you can't and what the triggers are then to go for it again because you can't run about like a madman.

"It's decision-making and intelligence. And this was always the thing with the British player, they were always deemed never to be intelligent, not to have good decision-making skills but could fight like hell for the ball. I believe they have all of the [attributes] and, if you can structure that, then you can have real, effective results."

Anyway, reading up on Rodgers it truly looks like he's cut from the right cloth to have a bright future in management. Went to Barcelona and Ajax to pick up and learn their from their coaching methods, he's worked under Mourinho, stands for a possession based high pressing game and he still goes to Spain to develop himself as a coach.

That's it, I'm in!

To be fair - things are only Mental for the newspapers and media and thats because NO ONE knows anything about what the process is and at what stage in the process they are.

It's all speculation and fans of LFC should take a deep breath and relax.

When there's something to say, we'll be told.

This - I can't disagree with anything in that (except for the extraneous comma after way (before but).

Bravo

Instinct really. He's well schooled compared to Coyle plus his teams are much better defensively than either Coyle's or Martinez's. Rodgers just strikes me as a man on his way to the top, who's confident that he can get there. And his teams play a very distinct way with limited resources.

It's no more than a feeling I have and I wouldn't expect that to convince you.

Well I hope you're right mate.

If we take ourselves back 14 months ago and remember our mindset and the atmosphere around the club, there'd have been rioting had they not given Kenny the managers job. We were playing great football with limited resources, we were blooding the youth players, and all signs pointed towards nailed on CL football this season just gone. Any attempts to move him upstairs after those 5 months in charge would have been met with outrage because every one of us believed he was the man to take us forward long term. Even the media agenda at the time was very very pro Kenny.

As Tony Green in his Bullseye days would have said, "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin one....."

I like the cut of his jib;

"I like teams to control and dominate the ball, so the players are hungry for the ball," Rodgers says. "You'll see in some of our exercises this morning, a lot of our work is around the transition and getting the ball back very quickly. Because I believe if you give a bad player time, he can play. If you give a good player time, he can kill you. So our emphasis is based around our positioning both with and without the ball. And for us, when we press well, we pass well."

Winning the ball back quickly and high up the pitch was a key feature of Barcelona's approach under Pep Guardiola and, as Rodgers explains, is much more sophisticated than it may appear. "You cannot go on your own," he says. "You work on zonal pressure, so that when it is in your zone, you have the capacity to press. That ability to press immediately, within five or six seconds to get the ball, is important. But you also have to understand when you can't and what the triggers are then to go for it again because you can't run about like a madman.

"It's decision-making and intelligence. And this was always the thing with the British player, they were always deemed never to be intelligent, not to have good decision-making skills but could fight like hell for the ball. I believe they have all of the [attributes] and, if you can structure that, then you can have real, effective results."

The lack of pressing of the opposition over the last two years has made it a lot easier to play against us. It was something we did very well under Benitez and something we need to get back to urgently.

The lack of pressing of the opposition over the last two years has made it a lot easier to play against us. It was something we did very well under Benitez and something we need to get back to urgently.

It's probably the one part of our play that has frustrated me more than any other.

When we did press against Chelsea at Anfield we destroyed them so it makes me hopeful of improvement.

oh, here's a likely scenario. fsg claim they want to spread the net wide and talk with Gardiola, Villas Boas and the like but the truth is those two or any other manager of there status were never in the frame. it was always a fight between Martinez and rodgers, no one else. expectations have been downgraded in the manager. next, we'll become a selling club where making more money on player sales will be more important than building a title winning one. great times lie ahead. not!

oh, here's a likely scenario. fsg claim they want to spread the net wide and talk with Gardiola, Villas Boas and the like but the truth is those two or any other manager of there status were never in the frame. it was always a fight between Martinez and rodgers, no one else. expectations have been downgraded in the manager. next, we'll become a selling club where making more money on player sales will be more important than building a title winning one. great times lie ahead. not!

1992 called, they want their use of "not" back. Psych.