You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Marmite Thread

Remmie

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Marmite?

• 10 months later...

Marmite is a very unusual product in that it seems to have no rivals or Supermarket own brand equivalents.Vegemite doesn’t really count in my opinion. Given that Marrmite is the by product of another manufacturing process, malting, the mark up on a jar must be enormous. We should crowd fund a rival product.  

53 minutes ago, Paul said:

Think Smithy put me onto this ages ago but I’ve not tried it yet. Will try and rectify this week. What’s your verdict?

So far had it on crumpets and can barely taste any discernable difference. Mrs Rem can though as she is more sensitive to chilli type spice and really likes it. Think this is the sign I need to smear the fucker on next time.

25 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Marmite is a very unusual product in that it seems to have no rivals or Supermarket own brand equivalents.Vegemite doesn’t really count in my opinion. Given that Marrmite is the by product of another manufacturing process, malting, the mark up on a jar must be enormous. We should crowd fund a rival product.  

I grew up on Vegemite as my mum is an Australian and insisted upon it but from an early age I found Marmite infinitely superior. You can buy supermarket own brands though, not that I really see the point when a £2-3 jar will last ages.

Sainsbury's Yeast Extract, Reduced Salt 225g

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I just think it's incredible they've made a market for all the crud left behind after making beer. They must be laughing all the way to the bank.

46 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

MrsD got me some asda own brand shite once. Awful. 

Can't wait for the weather to cool so I can have cups of hot marmite. 

26 minutes ago, Remmie said:

So far had it on crumpets and can barely taste any discernable difference. Mrs Rem can though as she is more sensitive to chilli type spice and really likes it. Think this is the sign I need to smear the fucker on next time.

I grew up on Vegemite as my mum is an Australian and insisted upon it but from an early age I found Marmite infinitely superior. You can buy supermarket own brands though, not that I really see the point when a £2-3 jar will last ages.

Sainsbury's Yeast Extract, Reduced Salt 225g

Is that still available? 

27 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I just think it's incredible they've made a market for all the crud left behind after making beer. They must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Yeah I think the mark up is astonishing. Must be one of the most profitable mass market products. That and glasses, mouthwash and printer ink. We need a thread on the most over priced consumer product.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried the Cheese and Marmite hot cross buns from Marksies? I’ve had them before but bought some last night on the way home as they were on offer and I’ve just had one for breakfast. I mean, they’re fine of course; but overall, I just feel a bit underwhelmed really. Nowhere near cheesy or indeed Marmitey (Marmighty?) enough.

Basically I think they’re still catering to the potential masses who aren’t sure about it when really they just need to look after their core market and go XO-style on all their products. 

30 minutes ago, Paul said:

Has anyone tried the Cheese and Marmite hot cross buns from Marksies? I’ve had them before but bought some last night on the way home as they were on offer and I’ve just had one for breakfast. I mean, they’re fine of course; but overall, I just feel a bit underwhelmed really. Nowhere near cheesy or indeed Marmitey (Marmighty?) enough.

Basically I think they’re still catering to the potential masses who aren’t sure about it when really they just need to look after their core market and go XO-style on all their products. 

No but I will. 

these are where it’s at for me… you can slather the marmite and dump the cheese in

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/picnic/cheese-and-marmite-swirls

C8397BDE-C16B-4ADB-A3D4-D85B9FA848D7.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

No but I will. 

these are where it’s at for me… you can slather the marmite and dump the cheese in

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/picnic/cheese-and-marmite-swirls

C8397BDE-C16B-4ADB-A3D4-D85B9FA848D7.jpeg

Yeah. I mentioned a variation on my nan’s recipe for those on here years ago I think. She used Bovril but you can use Marmite instead. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Like the peanut butter, they've catered to the Marmite casuals with the buns. I found myself having to put Marmite on them. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Like the peanut butter, they've catered to the Marmite casuals with the buns. I found myself having to put Marmite on them. 

“Marmite casuals”. Exactly. 

They’re not cheesy enough either. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 29/04/2022 at 17:26, Remmie said:

I doubt I am going to enjoy this much but as I always say I wont judge before eating

IMG_20220429_172342.jpg

What is a spoon doing in a truffle? What is a truffle? Why is marmite in a truffle? So many questions.

7 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

What is a spoon doing in a truffle? What is a truffle? Why is marmite in a truffle? So many questions.

I'll try and answer the questions that make sense.

A truffle is a type of fungi that had to historically be located by pigs as they grow underground. Their flavour is very powerful and is often muted by being grated and put into olive oil.

The spoon, if it is that (the size would indicate it is indeed a spoon) is placed in the jar of marmite, not whatever you think a truffle is.

I still haven't tried this combo, it would be interesting to see what the dominant flavour is because they are 2 of the most powerful flavoured items I have ever eaten.

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

I'll try and answer the questions that make sense.

A truffle is a type of fungi that had to historically be located by pigs as they grow underground. Their flavour is very powerful and is often muted by being grated and put into olive oil.

The spoon, if it is that (the size would indicate it is indeed a spoon) is placed in the jar of marmite, not whatever you think a truffle is.

I still haven't tried this combo, it would be interesting to see what the dominant flavour is because they are 2 of the most powerful flavoured items I have ever eaten.

It’s minging Rem. I like truffle and love Marmite, but that shit is vile. Not a fan of the chilli one, either. 

XO is the only way to go as far as variants are concerned.