You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson - what are you?

silverlining

Didn't he have the highest pass completion percentage of any Premiership player this weekend? 91% I believe.

Now stats can be misleading and if its just short, sharp passes that are finding their way to the right player - atleast he's doing that bit right. The amount of ball possession we've given away in the past has had my lungs hurting.

I agree signing him had us scratching our heads - but once he gets used to our system, and settles into the area - the confidence will come. He's a 20 year old lad after all. Its easy to compare him to Gerrard but Steven had the bonus of growing up in Liverpool, being trained by the club from an early age and 'understanding' how LFC works.

Personally i have no doubts about him. Its a case of when, not if, that we start to see the best of him.

I honestly don't understand the comparison with Gerrard as I see no resemblance whatsoever. That's not to say I don't rate Henderson, but Gerrard was a midfield animal at that age. He was getting plaudits from Vieira and Keane who were both at the top of their game but named him their favourite player in the league.

I think it's all about building confidence and developing at the right rate. He's getting the basics right in terms of passing and movement. He'll slowly get more confident in his ability, as his technique seems excellent. With confidence, he'll expand his all round game.

I agree he doesn't look great on the wing, but at a young age it's not altogether uncommon to be played in a variety of positions so as to enhance certain aspects of your all round game. A good example would be Carra and Gerrard. Carra played in a fair few positions when he first broke into the squad, as did Stevie. Worked wonders for them.

We need to have patience with him.

someone got it bang on the money on the MF last night,he looks like he is playing footy with his older brothers mates.

But he is going to be boss,i can just tell.His movement with the ball and close footwork are excellent,he has a great man manager in kenny who will tweak the bits that need tweaking.

he will be great,but i do agree raul should be in the starting XI,

and for the record,if he wasnt brought down in the box last night that ball was rocketeering into the top of the net

One thing I admire about Henderson is that he never ever, no matter what has happened in the game, hides away from the ball. Always looking for it. The lad has

1. Only turned 21 this summer
  2. Moved away from home for the first time
  3. Left his boyhood club
  4. Played in a fairly new position to him (certainly not his natural position)
  5. Joined one of the most scrutinised teams in the World
  6. Played 3 games

Now take in all of those factors and tell me it's not to early to judge the lad. What was Lampard doing at 21? Did he look he would never become a goal-scoring threat as well? I'm pretty sure Chelsea fans were like 'What the fuck?' when he signed for them. Look what happened when he eventually found his feet.

Once Gerrard is fit, he will take Henderson's 'free-role from the right' position anyway. He will then be allowed to develop at an easier pace.

For me, Henderson has passed the test so far, not by flying colours, but still passed it. Bright future at Liverpool Football Club...

He's a neat and tidy footballer good 1st touch, lays the ball off and moves into space, keeps possession, keeps it simple, good engine,good pace, works hard for the team always available to take a pass.

He doesn't make crunching tackles, doesn't go on lung bursting 50 yard runs beating 15 men, doesn't make 40 yard passes, doesn't score screamers from the halfway line.

He does everything quietly and efficiently, against Exeter he put the cross in for the 1st goal and put the pass in for Suarez for the 2nd goal

I like him and when he grows in confidence he will be a very good player

Oh Jesus. Sounds like someone desperately defending Lucas.

Which is perhaps what I'm really worried about.

I just prefer to support anyone in a red shrt instead of jumping on their back after 3 games. Lucas has turned into a decent player, I notice Dalglish didn't buy a defensive midfielder to replace him and I'm willing to bet even with all our midfield talent he still plays more than most.

Guest TK-421

He does the simple things very well. Yer average fan won't notice the contribution he makes but those of us who have always rated Lucas, e.g. The-Sir and Stronts, will know we've got another gem on our hands in the form of Hendo.

Guest SpiderLucas

Jordan Henderson will be one of the best creative CENTRE midfielders in England and Europe by the time he’s 25.

I think I’ve seen him lose the ball about 4 or 5 times in the Sunderland, Arsenal and Exeter games combined (Dirk Kuyt gave away possession more times than that against Arsenal alone!) You said he hasn’t got pace, that’s not true he doesn’t have the acceleration of Walcott or Lennon but he certainly isn’t Dirk Kuyt or Andy Carroll slow.

He doesn’t drink at all, and he has to be one of most athletic players in the Premier League. His touches and ball control are brilliant and he has great vision. He isn’t as good as Jack Wilshere on the ball yet but he’s a hell of a lot better than Jack without the ball. His movement is second to none.

You need to seriously give the lad a break! He’s 21, left his friends and family behind and has switched from Sunderland where let’s face it he could do no wrong. He was the local lad, playing WELL week in week out for the team he’s supported all his life (we all love to see the local lads playing well i.e. Spearing at the tail end of the season). Now he’s at Liverpool each performance is scrutinised by the fans, if he had a bad game for Sunderland I’m guessing there fans would probably say he had a good game whereas when he has a good game here (Arsenal away) some of our fans still say he didn’t play well.

Play this lad in centre midfield and by the end of the season we will all be raving about him, he oozes class. Everything about him is just sheer class.

Guest SpiderLucas
I didn't like the dive, and it was a dive, I'd rather him not do that in our colours.

What about when N’Gog dived to earn us a point we barely deserved against Birmingham at Anfield a couple of season back?