You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

2 hours ago, coachpotato said:

All of the above is true. A mate I was with was knocked almost unconscious by a lump of concrete thrown from the running track by a Juve hoodie, yet I’ve got photo’s of us with Juve fans in the city, the same lad swapped his shirt with one of them, we had a couple of beers, shook hands and went on our merry way. The missus was at the Rome game ( I couldn’t go) and the group she was in were stoned and battered after the game and the Carabieneri watched and did fuck all about it. She was terrified and wasn’t the only one. Peter Robinson did complain to UEFA about the state of the ground, he went with a party from Liverpool that included Council Leaders and Merseyside Police, all who made a joint appeal for the game to be held elsewhere, I’m not sure but I think that fat faced fuck Graeme Kelly was also approached but, like UEFA, he did fuck all. Where we went for a drink in the city beforehand, there were NF flyers on tables outside one bar, but every hooligan was deemed to be from Liverpool in the aftermath, I remember Sir John Smith saying Chelsea fans were involved but he was shouted down and never repeated the accusation. My cousin was in the Army in Germany at the time and told me there were squaddies who got passes to go to the game, and at that time, our Rhineland forces were apparently known for having rucks with any bunch of foreigners they could cross.

The security at the ground was an absolute farce, as was the supposed segregation and

I’m sure there are loads of other “coincidences” that could be mentioned, but, as I said in my original post, there’s never one contributory reason for disasters to happen, it’s almost always a combination of events and the stand out one at that game was the eventual charge from our side into the neutral area that was populated mainly by Juventus fans, the result of which was 39 deaths. Had the charge not happened, despite all of the other contributory factors, it’s very likely the game would have been yet another marred by violent disorder, but again, I feel there would have been deaths eventually. Who knows, it might have even been our blue brethren who could have been at fault the very next season.

There but for the grace of God etc. hey?

I remember watching another documentary and this health and safety officer from the fire brigade was sent over by the government to do a report on the ground,post heysel

He reported back that it was a death trap and should never have been used. 

Unsurprisingly Thatcher completely ignored it.

Like you say it was just a tragic combination of factors.

Peter Hooton says in this book thst running at a group of away fans had been happening every single week at every ground up and down the country,for about 15 years. So why wasn't there a hysel every single week?

4 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

My Uncle went and stayed in a camp site outside Brussels. They got there 3 days beforehand and just sat off every day drinking strong Belgian lager.

There were quite a few Juventus fans there at the same time and everyone got on and even had a few games of footy together on the field next to the campsite.

The night before a load of ultras showed up and pulled loads of Liverpool fans tents down and stole things as well as their customary drive by slashings

Even people who were in the city centre in the day said the atmosphere was fine and both sets of fans mixed well swopping scarves and playing footy together. Whether it was a result of the all day drinking and no effective police seeing the danger we will never know. Ultimately we have to take our blame for what happened. 

I know he was there and at Hillsborough but I wish Tony Evans would shut up about Heysel being a big revenge mission for Rome the year before. There was a documentary on about Italia 90 last year and he made out that Liverpool fans went over with the specific intention of hurting/killing Juventus fans. It just gives more fuel to other fans who call us murderers.

The sad thing in all of this was the people who ended up dying weren't the ones who had thrown missiles or had been fighting, they were just trying to get away from it. The youngest victim was 11 who died along with his Dad. 

My uncle was at the game and pretty much said the same thing. Gangs of the fuckers driving past,  hanging out of car windows with knives and Machetes trying to slash people. 

12 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I remember watching another documentary and this health and safety officer from the fire brigade was sent over by the government to do a report on the ground,post heysel

He reported back that it was a death trap and should never have been used. 

Unsurprisingly Thatcher completely ignored it.

Like you say it was just a tragic combination of factors.

Peter Hooton says in this book thst running at a group of away fans had been happening every single week at every ground up and down the country,for about 15 years. So why wasn't there a hysel every single week?

Thatcher couldn’t ban English teams quickly enough, she made Bert Millichip the mouthpiece but she undoubtedly was the driver. UEFA made it indefinite on June 2nd but later commuted this to five years for everyone else and six years for us. Ted Croker said it was to be applauded until we got our house in order.

• Like 1

I’m glad they’ve stayed up. I was caught up in all their bollocks that we know of from their modern fan, but at the end of the day, my old man is a blue, I’ve got blue mates, the new stadium and premier league survival means improved income for the city, and I won’t ever let the gobshites bring me down to their level again.

Love thy father, brother, sister, son, daughter, cousin, uncle, aunty, nephew, niece and mate. Fuck the gobshites - remember the good times. They’ll never take away what this rivalry once was and how it make the area stand apart from all other regions in the UK. They can have their hate. I’ll have the love

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Curly said:

I’m glad they’ve stayed up. I was caught up in all their bollocks that we know of from their modern fan, but at the end of the day, my old man is a blue, I’ve got blue mates, the new stadium and premier league survival means improved income for the city, and I won’t ever let the gobshites bring me down to their level again.

Love thy father, brother, sister, son, daughter, cousin, uncle, aunty, nephew, niece and mate. Fuck the gobshites - remember the good times. They’ll never take away what this rivalry once was and how it make the area stand apart from all other regions in the UK. They can have their hate. I’ll have the love

Are you pilled up on a Wednesday afternoon?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Thatcher couldn’t ban English teams quickly enough, she made Bert Millichip the mouthpiece but she undoubtedly was the driver. UEFA made it indefinite on June 2nd but later commuted this to five years for everyone else and six years for us. Ted Croker said it was to be applauded until we got our house in order.

i don't particularly have an issue with a ban - providing of course that is the measure across europe. but it's not. there are plenty of places that are still a fucking nightmare to go because of fans and/or police, yet uefa still let it go on. i personally think the combination of heysel, hillsborough and the ban sent massive shockwaves through football here. Something had to change and thankfully it did aside from a small number dickheads fighting a couple of miles away from grounds. the attitude of people attending games changed. i was a teenager through that 80s period and a lad who grew up by the ground. We thought the trouble was great until we didn't. i am sure it was pretty much the same with kids and young fellas up and down the country. i was only just 15 when heysel happened, so i couldn't go, but i went down to the supporters club on lower breck road to watch it and when there with the first talk of trouble, the general reaction was "i hope we twatted them". 

but back to the point, we all know thatcher was a cunt, but i don't really see how there could have been anything but a ban after what happened. We all knew it was coming, because it had been threatened for years, in fact it was a miracle we were still in europe at that point because of the behaviour of other teams and england. she threw us under the bus by giving us (and letting us take) all the blame, but of course she would - she hated football and the working classes (and it was still very much a working class sport then), i honestly don't think it was anything specific to us, she was gagging to do it. and it was all part of her looking hard to fo with the falklands and the miners strike. She was just a level of cunt that this disaster was what she wanted - i don't believe it wouldn't have made much difference if it had been another team though. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I never understood why the Engand national team weren't banned when all the club sides were. 

The smashed up places in Spain, Switzerland and Luxembourg and all the top bellends from each club would go abroad for aggro. Mexico 86 would have limted a lot of them due to the travel involved and the Mexican police probably just murdering most of them but they still had to travel to qualifiers.

The Italia 90 documentary shows the level of planning the German police had to go through when England played in Euro 88 and they still had a massive scrap in Dusseldorf when they played Holland. The German police called it the battle of Dusseldorf. 

Even in Italia 90 England were dumped on Sardinia and most of the locals were terrified that the whole island was going to get trashed. The Italian police were panicking once they qualified and moved to the mainland. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i don't particularly have an issue with a ban - providing of course that is the measure across europe. but it's not. there are plenty of places that are still a fucking nightmare to go because of fans and/or police, yet uefa still let it go on. i personally think the combination of heysel, hillsborough and the ban sent massive shockwaves through football here. Something had to change and thankfully it did aside from a small number dickheads fighting a couple of miles away from grounds. the attitude of people attending games changed. i was a teenager through that 80s period and a lad who grew up by the ground. We thought the trouble was great until we didn't. i am sure it was pretty much the same with kids and young fellas up and down the country. i was only just 15 when heysel happened, so i couldn't go, but i went down to the supporters club on lower breck road to watch it and when there with the first talk of trouble, the general reaction was "i hope we twatted them". 

but back to the point, we all know thatcher was a cunt, but i don't really see how there could have been anything but a ban after what happened. We all knew it was coming, because it had been threatened for years, in fact it was a miracle we were still in europe at that point because of the behaviour of other teams and england. she threw us under the bus by giving us (and letting us take) all the blame, but of course she would - she hated football and the working classes (and it was still very much a working class sport then), i honestly don't think it was anything specific to us, she was gagging to do it. and it was all part of her looking hard to fo with the falklands and the miners strike. She was just a level of cunt that this disaster was what she wanted - i don't believe it wouldn't have made much difference if it had been another team though. 

Italy has never got a grip of their Ultras and the way they carry on. I have Italian friends who stopped going to the match because of the way they always cause trouble.

Eastern European leagues have a massive problem with hooliganism as well as racism. 

14 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I never understood why the Engand national team weren't banned when all the club sides were. 

The smashed up places in Spain, Switzerland and Luxembourg and all the top bellends from each club would go abroad for aggro. Mexico 86 would have limted a lot of them due to the travel involved and the Mexican police probably just murdering most of them but they still had to travel to qualifiers.

The Italia 90 documentary shows the level of planning the German police had to go through when England played in Euro 88 and they still had a massive scrap in Dusseldorf when they played Holland. The German police called it the battle of Dusseldorf. 

Even in Italia 90 England were dumped on Sardinia and most of the locals were terrified that the whole island was going to get trashed. The Italian police were panicking once they qualified and moved to the mainland. 

That Nicholls scally boasts about it all (especially that Luxembourg riot that happened after Heysel as well) yet still has the cheek to say the shites animosity towards us is for getting them banned from Europe. 

35 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That Nicholls scally boasts about it all (especially that Luxembourg riot that happened after Heysel as well) yet still has the cheek to say the shites animosity towards us is for getting them banned from Europe. 

Even though he was there at Heysel selling tickets to Juventus fans for the neutral area. Something that he admits to in his book and a recent interview with that James English who interviews anyone whose ever been in prison for more than a week. 

27 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Even though he was there at Heysel selling tickets to Juventus fans for the neutral area. Something that he admits to in his book and a recent interview with that James English who interviews anyone whose ever been in prison for more than a week. 

Im half way through that very interview 

To be fair some of his are decent 

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

Italy has never got a grip of their Ultras and the way they carry on. I have Italian friends who stopped going to the match because of the way they always cause trouble.

Eastern European leagues have a massive problem with hooliganism as well as racism. 

It's all over. When I've travelled liverpool, I've seen or heard of agg nearly everywhere, it would be easier to list places where it's all good, certainly if you're just ticking off countries. Obviously there's places you go and there's no issue, but you go 30 miles down the road and it's completely different. I've seen stuff in France, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Switzerland, Russia, slovenia, Romania, Bulgaria and I'm sure a few other places too which don't spring to mind right now. Some places are worse than others and some almost comical (Slovenia) and I'm not looking for stuff, in fact quite the opposite we normally try and avoid the Liverpool fans too! But it's shit everywhere from what I can tell. Although I do know sometimes it's just because it's us and it attracts dickheads. 

• Upvote 1

The thing that amuses me with the blues re: Heysel is how they pat themselves on the back and point out that there was no fighting at their European final in Rotterdam in 1985. 

Yeah, because those bloody Austrian fans had a notorious reputation for hooliganism and fighting back in the 1980s, didn’t they?…

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

The thing that amuses me with the blues re: Heysel is how they pat themselves on the back and point out that there was no fighting at their European final in Rotterdam in 1985. 

Yeah, because those bloody Austrian fans had a notorious reputation for hooliganism and fighting back in the 1980s, didn’t they?…

They wrecked ferries though. Those P and O staff were a right handy crew!

9 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

The Blues would have got absolutely battered by the Dutch riot police who were used to dealing with high profile domestic and international games, if trouble had started.

Most of the meffs that follow them now weren't even born when Heysel happened.  They can fuck off with that.  They're in the shit now because, well, they're shit.  They've got a dodgy proxy owner.  Their fanbase is delusional and toxic..  Their team somehow manages to be less than the sum of its parts.  Now they've got the least shit manager they've had in years, they'll sack him before the new season has properly got going.  They need jettisoning next season, let's hope it happens for real this time.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Im half way through that very interview 

To be fair some of his are decent 

A fella I work with knew him as he used to go home and away with Everton. He's about ten years younger than Nicholls but said that he was attacked outside that Irish American bar on Lime Street by a load of QPR fans going to get their train.

Nicholls ran in and took about 6 of them on himself and threw one through a shop window and they all legged it. The guy in work said that Nicholls would fight anyone and wouldn't care about the outcome. Obviously he'd never be as hard as Big Dunc who would have battered the entire QPR fanbase and picked up a train with them on and thrown it as far as Broad Green.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harry Squatter said:

A fella I work with knew him as he used to go home and away with Everton. He's about ten years younger than Nicholls but said that he was attacked outside that Irish American bar on Lime Street by a load of QPR fans going to get their train.

Nicholls ran in and took about 6 of them on himself and threw one through a shop window and they all legged it. The guy in work said that Nicholls would fight anyone and wouldn't care about the outcome. Obviously he'd never be as hard as Big Dunc who would have battered the entire QPR fanbase and picked up a train with them on and thrown it as far as Broad Green.

QPR the renowned football casual psychos. But yeah he does sound like he wouldn't think twice about running into that.