You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I have swam against the tide since day 1 with this version of Sherlock, watched it tonight and it just reaffirmed my opinion that this whole production, and Cumberbatch especially, are massively overrated, unsuited, and heretical. Style over substance all the way.

Holmes is supposed to be a 1 in a billion, razor sharp maverick genius. Cumberbatch's Sherlock is a simpering, pompous, public school, homo fop.

Personally speaking, I am not a fan.

I'm somewhere between this (excellently made) point and a fan.  My cynicism won't quite let go enough for me to completely enjoy it.  

As someone who's read Conan Doyles' Holmes stories, I have just been watching Jeremy Brett's in The Sign Of Four and it really does piss all over this glossy new bells and whistles ipad generation ideal.

Ironically, it is that very thing, the radical contemporary take, which is I think quite easily the best thing about the new version. It just feels so soulless.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It stands out like a beacon of light in the turgid shite that is British TV.

So yeah, I enjoyed it.

Absolutely agree with that. It has style and character in a way most British TV doesn't. I think Cumberbatch is entertaining, if not true to the original Sherlock. Of course, that's not who he's trying to be.

Nail on head there. It's not trying to be Classic Sherlock Holmes, and shouldn't really be compared to the older versions that were true to the stories.

I love the Conan Doyle books, I got the complete works when I was ten and have had to replace them twice because I've read them so much. This is different though and it's just very loosely based on them.

Great cast, great story lines and knocks the socks off most of the other shit TV my licence fee goes on.

Enjoyed that. It wasnt as good as some of the first two series, as I thought the terrorism plot was rushed through, but handling the return along with a standalone mystery was never going to be easy. performances were top notch, the humour was great, and even when the writing stumbles a bit like tonight it still pisses over the rest of the telly right now. Glad to have it back... Cant handle spoiler tags on my phone, or id say something about the bit at the end and the likely plot of the rest of the series!

Paulie , 1 & 2 have turned up on netflix if youre on there.

It's Sherlock Holmes. I like the stories. I like the older films. I like Jeremy Brett. I like Cumberbatch. I like Downey Jr. Hell, I'll even happily sit and watch Christopher Plummer.

I particularly enjoy the reinvention and different take on the character.

I look forward to Sherlock Holmes in space. Oh, hang on, I like Data as Holmes as well.

• Upvote 2

Ha ha, I thought the second was far better than the first !

From the evidence  before us - your dislike of Cumberbatch, your failure to appreciate the inventive way in which the modern series presents Holmes' thought processes, and the fact you favour the second Downey Jr film over the first - only one inevitible conclusion can be drawn. You are indeed a wrong'un.

But I still like you.

• Upvote 1

It's Sherlock Holmes. I like the stories. I like the older films. I like Jeremy Brett. I like Cumberbatch. I like Downey Jr. Hell, I'll even happily sit and watch Christopher Plummer.

I particularly enjoy the reinvention and different take on the character.

I look forward to Sherlock Holmes in space. Oh, hang on, I like Data as Holmes as well.

What about Rathbone?......I loved those early old ones, admittedly it went a bit shite when they went all patriotic when the war was on but some of the early stuff with him and even Bruce (as bad as he was) wasn't too bad.

• Upvote 2

What about Rathbone?......I loved those early old ones, admittedly it went a bit shite when they went all patriotic when the war was on but some of the early stuff with him and even Bruce (as bad as he was) wasn't too bad.

Absolutely. Rathbone is probably my favourite. I'd encompassed him in the phrase 'the older films.' A superb actor. 

• Upvote 1

I like Freeman. I have to confess I haven't seen the end of series 2/start of series 3 of Sherlock, but when it was announced he was going to be Bilbo in The Hobbit I was deeply unimpressed.

He has, however, been excellent in the role.

He was great in The Shawshank Redemption too.

• Upvote 2