You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ryanair

Woo

I'm off to Ireland at the end of the month for four/five days. Basically, want to spend as little as possible on the flights. I notice that with ryanair, you have to pay £20 to check in a bag up to 15kg. What I'm asking is, what sort of luggage can you take without having to pay? I'll only be taking a backpack or a small holdall, which will only have clothes in, so will I be able to take that on without paying?

I've heard they can be a bit funny about stuff like this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Nice Juan.

There is like a little metal thing which is the same size as your allowed and you hand luggage has to fit in to the space perfectly or they'll have you clean off.

If I was you i'd wear all my clothes I was taking on the day and take an empty bag, once you land strip off and put your stuff in the bag.

No need to thank me beast.

I just loathe paying for the baggage when it costs more than the flight itself.

Plus, I'm not going to be taking much. If i was going to use anywhere close to the 15kg then I'd pay it, but for a few t-shirts and pairs of jeans, fuck that!

Good advice from Mick, there, Al. You could even put them in the bag when you get through security. But don't miss the plane while doing it, or they'll charge you a gazillion quid to re-book. That said, you should be allowed a bag for hand luggage which will easily take a couple of jeans and t-shirts for what you need for the few days.

Nice of you to let us know you're coming. We'll have the reception committee on duty. Are you doing anything in particular or meeting anyone, or just leaving that to chance? Nice one on the 10% payrise.

Guest davelfc

Let me google that for you

CABIN BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

Each passenger (excluding infants) is permitted to carry one piece of cabin baggage on board (free of charge). Strictly one item of cabin baggage is permitted per passenger (excluding infants). Your handbag, briefcase, laptops, shop purchases, camera etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage. It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. Due to security restrictions - certain items cannot be carried in cabin baggage - FAQS : Baggage. For the safety and convenience of all passengers, cabin baggage must fit underneath the seat or in the overhead compartment. We reserve the right to cancel your reservation without refund and to deny you boarding if you arrive at the boarding gate with more than one item of cabin baggage or if that item exceeds the maximum dimensions.

Infants do not qualify for a cabin baggage allowance (although a pram/buggy will be carried free of charge).

EU/EEA cabin baggage security restrictions require that passenger cabin baggage containing any liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics MUST be presented at the airport passenger security point in a transparent re-sealable bag of no more than one litre capacity (e.g. 20cm x 20cm ziplock freezer bag). Only gels, pastes, lotions and liquid cosmetics in containers of 100mls or less will be permitted through the passenger security screening points at all EU/EEA Airports, please note there is a limit of one transparent resealable plastic bag per person. EU Aviation Cabin Baggage Security Regulations

Good advice from Mick' date=' there, Al. You could even put them in the bag when you get through security. But don't miss the plane while doing it, or they'll charge you a gazillion quid to re-book.

Nice of you to let us know you're coming. We'll have the reception committee on duty. Are you doing anything in particular or meeting anyone, or just leaving that to chance? Nice one on the 10% payrise.[/quote']

I'll be in Rathmullan for a few days with Cain, Richie T and Monster-Masch off here, some sort of festival thing going on there. Should be a good laught. Flying into Derry on Friday (30th June), but flying out from Belfast on Tuesday (3rd August) so hopefully spend a day or two there.

I only organised it last night, Damo. Not yet booked it. Don't worry, though, I plan to get down to Dublin and the like later on in the year so I'm sure I can bore you then.

And cheers, it's only an extra hundred quid a month, but beggars can't be choosers.

Let me google that for you

CABIN BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

Each passenger (excluding infants) is permitted to carry one piece of cabin baggage on board (free of charge). Strictly one item of cabin baggage is permitted per passenger (excluding infants). Your handbag, briefcase, laptops, shop purchases, camera etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage. It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. Due to security restrictions - certain items cannot be carried in cabin baggage - FAQS : Baggage. For the safety and convenience of all passengers, cabin baggage must fit underneath the seat or in the overhead compartment. We reserve the right to cancel your reservation without refund and to deny you boarding if you arrive at the boarding gate with more than one item of cabin baggage or if that item exceeds the maximum dimensions.

Infants do not qualify for a cabin baggage allowance (although a pram/buggy will be carried free of charge).

EU/EEA cabin baggage security restrictions require that passenger cabin baggage containing any liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics MUST be presented at the airport passenger security point in a transparent re-sealable bag of no more than one litre capacity (e.g. 20cm x 20cm ziplock freezer bag). Only gels, pastes, lotions and liquid cosmetics in containers of 100mls or less will be permitted through the passenger security screening points at all EU/EEA Airports, please note there is a limit of one transparent resealable plastic bag per person. EU Aviation Cabin Baggage Security Regulations

Bah! Google schmoogle.

Cheers mate.

Dont check in a bag for starters, they rob you. As the previous poster stated they have a metal basket type thing beside the departure gate, if your bag fits in it your alright. Basically it has to fit in the over head lockers or under the seat on the plane. They have trolly dolly's at departure gate checking for big bags, if they look too big they'll make you put it into the basket thing

The problem is that the metal basket thing is vary narrow so i'd suggest you bring a light bag that can be squashed into things, dont bring one of them small solid luggage bags as you wont be able to squash it in. As far as i remember they generally dont weigh your hand luggage it mainly about the size.

Ryanair dont want you checking in a bag cos they want their planes to have a strict 20 min turn around. Their chief exec is a right prick, Michael o Leary. He made threats to charge people for using the toilet on the plane and to charge the price of the ticket according the passangers own body weight, ie. if your fat you pay more....

However one plus about travelling with them is that you can check in online 3 days before you fly and print off your boarding card at home ( only if not checking in a bag ). It means you just have to arrive 30-40 mins before flight leaves

Some woman in the airport had her hand luggage right up to the 10kg limit. She went through and bought some duty free. Because that wouldn't fit in her case Ryamair charged her 40 euro to take in on because it counted as another bag.

Cheeky bastards!

10kg Woo. Make sure it's a cabin bag as per the normal cabin bag dimensions ( 55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and you'll be fine. Don't forget you can't bring any liquids more then 100ml through security though. If you have 2 bags, no matter how small, you will be charged to check-in the bigger one, so if you are buying duty free then make sure there is room in your bag to put it. No other issues.

You could always just stick some clothes in a parcel and post it to your destination ahead of departure.The last few times I've travelled to and from the UK,I just had a carry-on bag. I was there for a minimum of 6 weeks...just bought some clothes when I arrived,mostly from from charity shops and donated it back before I left. Anything else such as souvenirswas posted back.

A travel agent once advised me that excess baggage is charged at first-class airfare rates. Postage is very much cheaper.

You could always just stick some clothes in a parcel and post it to your destination ahead of departure.The last few times I've travelled to and from the UK,I just had a carry-on bag. I was there for a minimum of 6 weeks...just bought some clothes when I arrived,mostly from from charity shops and donated it back before I left. Anything else such as souvenirswas posted back.

A travel agent once advised me that excess baggage is charged at first-class airfare rates. Postage is very much cheaper.

You find some decent stuff at Sally Ann shops. And since I don't mind looking like Jesper Parnevick I get a decent summer wardrobe for 20-30$ CDN.

(Remember there is no summer where I live so I only have summer clothes for the month of July when I'm out. I still remember showing up at Heathrow one trip over hammered on the free ale they give out on trans-Atlantic wearing a big fuck off parka with some fur on it. By the time I'd cleared customs and the stares from those PETA-types I had sweated out all the Molsons. Hey, it was free and I was flying economy class.)