You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

its obvious from the little we've seen of him that he isn't a 4231 player. the boy just cannot tackle.

if anything he should play behind torres but if we're going to move gerrard to centre midfield then i'd rather yossi played in the hole.

at the very least we should have bought a player that would have started the season.

all in all another rafa fuck up

If Torres doesn't play then there's no use in having Gerrard playing behind the front man he's just lost up there without Torres. He has to drop back into the middle as the evidence stacks up with everygame that Gerrard is being wasted. I'd love to see his influence back in the middle until Torres comes back.

what fucking influence? When has he last influenced a game in CM? He's not a proper CM.

I agree the game too often passes him by playing playing as a SS, but that's every bit to do with Gerrard himself as it is Rafa. Plus i don't see the problem with Gerrard dropping deep, the problem is he's doing absolutely nothing when doing it. He's the one player in the squad that is given pretty much a free role to do what he pleases. He ought to be doing much more imo. When was the last time he even looked like scoring a goal?

I've seen as little of Aquilani as the next man, but what I've seen gives me a Morientes vibe, i.e someone with obvious talent and pedigree, but who is cut from the wrong cloth for the Premiership. Like a champion Flamenco dancer who's accidentally wandered into BCM. I hope I'm wrong.

Here's a tip. Why not use the search function at the top to find an existing relevant thread. I'm sure we have more than one already under the heading "Aquilani" or "Aquaman" and such like. You might even find your points have already been raised.

Oh, and as has been pointed out, keep up to date on current affairs before mouthing off. You'll look like less of a bellwhiff.

Wasn't Purslow under orders to hold out for the full whack from Real for Xabi?

I've no idea. It doesn't change the fact that it probably would have been a more sensible option, to be honest. He has no real history of injuries; was ready to play; Champions League and international experience and cheaper.

Really think we missed a trick and this move has spectacularly backfired.

I've no idea. It doesn't change the fact that it probably would have been a more sensible option, to be honest. He has no real history of injuries; was ready to play; Champions League and international experience and cheaper.

Really think we missed a trick and this move has spectacularly backfired.

Agreed, at least as far as this season goes. But what I've seen doesn't fill me with much hope.

Hope he can turn it round.

what fucking influence? When has he last influenced a game in CM? He's not a proper CM.

I agree the game too often passes him by playing playing as a SS, but that's every bit to do with Gerrard himself as it is Rafa. Plus i don't see the problem with Gerrard dropping deep, the problem is he's doing absolutely nothing when doing it. He's the one player in the squad that is given pretty much a free role to do what he pleases. He ought to be doing much more imo. When was the last time he even looked like scoring a goal?

Sorry but he's not a proper CM is just a myth to me, of course he's a CM and he should be playing there alongside Masch. Are you telling you'd have Lucas there instead or even Aqualiani because i wouldn't.

Alonso was a better midfielder as he could control a game better and was a better passer so i could undestand that and Gerrards partnership with Torres is one of the best around but at times like this his drive, passing and toughness is being missed there as we're struggling to get the ball forward quickly and he can pick a pass better than anyone in there at the moment.

I know people don't want to hear it, but we really miss Xabi.

I think it is clear that we are missing his presence in the middle, he could move a ball about and dictate play. Shame that his position at Liverpool was untenable.

Rafa and his transfer policy have seen us fill the squad with a lot of players who are very limited in their play and so we cannot deviate from what we have now. So we have a system were Alonso was integral to it, and then we failed to replace him.

I know people don't want to hear it, but we really miss Xabi.

Unfortunately, I agree.

I said in the N'Gog thread that he's not a lone striker and I think we need to change our formation when Torres is out because it makes no sense to persevere with it when one of the main componenets who makes that system work in the first place is out injured.

To be honest, I think Xabi was equally as important as Gerrard, Torres or Mascherano in making that formation work.

If I could go back to the summer, the player I would of gone for would have been Ever Banega. Currently the finest midfielder in Europe in my opinion.

But seeing as Valencia didn't owe us money unlike Roma, I'm not sure how viable an option it would have been nor his price tag.

If I could go back to the summer, the player I would of gone for would have been Ever Banega. Currently the finest midfielder in Europe in my opinion.

But seeing as Valencia didn't owe us money unlike Roma, I'm not sure how viable an option it would have been nor his price tag.

Was he the lad who very nearly went on loan to the blueshite? Not being funny, genuine question.

He was, Randy.

Dicko, at the time mate Benega was a bit of a joke. He hadn't shone at Valencia or while on loand at Atletico and I don't think anyone in Spain expected him to show the form he is now.

He was available for loan, though. As shown with him almost joing the bloos.

I find it a little odd that the only two major signings we made were from clubs that owed us on previous deals, hinting that we may have been restricted in the type of players we would go for.

However Rafa has total control now so he made the decision to bring them both in. It's looking a little bleak for Aquilani at the moment, and you have to say it's a bad signing as far as this season is concerned. In the long run there is still a chance he can flourish.

I think the Europa League is a big competition for him to try and build up some proper form and fitness, and if that works go from there.

He was, Randy.

Dicko, at the time mate Benega was a bit of a joke. He hadn't shone at Valencia or while on loand at Atletico and I don't think anyone in Spain expected him to show the form he is now.

He was available for loan, though. As shown with him almost joing the bloos.

His webcam habits would probably have needed curbing that was for sure.

But I remembered him from Boca and he seemed a genuine talent and I was gutted at the thought of him going to Everton.

I don't know why we signed him. He looks a good player who won't fit in to our formation, mainly cos he looks incapable of doing anything defensively, and we have a better player than him in a position he could play for us.

Maybe it could work if we had Gerrard right with him behind Torres.