You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bell, or Bellend?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Bell, or Bellend?

• Erasure
    • Pet Shop Boys
    • I'm scared to vote in case people think I pack the fudge.

Prompted by some outrageous assertions on the Pet Shop Boys thread, I feel minded to settle this once and for all. For my pink penny, in the world of mano a mano pop, Erasure bent the Pet Shop Boys over and rammed their fat cocks right up Tennant and the other guy's hoops.

Who Needs Love Like That

Oh L'Amour

Sometimes

It Doesn't Have To Be

The Circus

A Little Respect

Just recalling those few takes me back to some great nights in Bananas in Leeds in the late 80's.

Vote away, retro syntho pop lovers.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Erasure all the way, they had lots of videos with men in hot pants. Though I do like 'Left to my Own Devices'.

I probably wouldn't

Which of these groups you prefer is a matter of individual taste. However, if we're dealing with who is better, then that's a quality issue, and quality is an objective measure.

With that in mind:

Only one of these groups is so respected by their fellow artists that they have them queuing up round the block to work with them. Not many groups can say they have collaborated with David Bowie, Elton John, Madonna, Tina Turner, Dusty Springfield, Kylie, Liza Minelli, Boy George, Blur, Suede, Robbie Williams, Johnny Marr, Pete Burns, The Killers, Rufus Wainwright and Girls Aloud - to name just the ones you've probably heard of.

Only one of these groups has such artistic ambition to have made an arthouse movie, written a stage musical with Jonathan Harvey and scored a new soundtrack for the classic silent move Battleship Potemkin. Only one of these groups would be brave enough to commission music videos directed by people like Derek Jarman, Bruce Weber and Wolfgang Tillmans. Only one of these groups has performed at Glastonbury.

Only one of these groups has their finger on the pulse of the dance music scene, to have commissioned remixes from so many big name remixers before they were big name. Only one of these groups has worked with producers like Frankie Knuckles, Trevor Horn, Harold Faltermeyer, Angelo Badalamenti, Brothers in Rhythm and Danny Tenaglia. Only one of these groups topped the charts in America.

Only one of these groups so transcends the music scene that it's fallacious to even call them a pop group when they're so much more than that. Only one of these groups has the bare-faced cheek to cover Where The Streets Have No Name as a high-energy stomper segued into Can't Take My Eyes Off You, or to accept their lifetime achievement Brit on a video screen while they utter platitudinal cliches in a glorious parody of acceptance speeches.

Only one of these groups challenges you and makes you think. Only one of these groups is unique.

• Upvote 2

Which of these groups you prefer is a matter of individual taste. However, if we're dealing with who is better, then that's a quality issue, and quality is an objective measure.

With that in mind:

Only one of these groups is so respected by their fellow artists that they have them queuing up round the block to work with them. Not many groups can say they have collaborated with David Bowie, Elton John, Madonna, Tina Turner, Dusty Springfield, Kylie, Liza Minelli, Boy George, Blur, Suede, Robbie Williams, Johnny Marr, Pete Burns, The Killers, Rufus Wainwright and Girls Aloud - to name just the ones you've probably heard of.

Only one of these groups has such artistic ambition to have made an arthouse movie, written a stage musical with Jonathan Harvey and scored a new soundtrack for the classic silent move Battleship Potemkin. Only one of these groups would be brave enough to commission music videos directed by people like Derek Jarman, Bruce Weber and Wolfgang Tillmans. Only one of these groups has performed at Glastonbury.

Only one of these groups has their finger on the pulse of the dance music scene, to have commissioned remixes from so many big name remixers before they were big name. Only one of these groups has worked with producers like Frankie Knuckles, Trevor Horn, Harold Faltermeyer, Angelo Badalamenti, Brothers in Rhythm and Danny Tenaglia. Only one of these groups topped the charts in America.

Only one of these groups so transcends the music scene that it's fallacious to even call them a pop group when they're so much more than that. Only one of these groups has the bare-faced cheek to cover Where The Streets Have No Name as a high-energy stomper segued into Can't Take My Eyes Off You, or to accept their lifetime achievement Brit on a video screen while they utter platitudinal cliches in a glorious parody of acceptance speeches.

Only one of these groups challenges you and makes you think. Only one of these groups is unique.

Which one? Is it Erasure? I hope it's Erasure.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
Which one? Is it Erasure? I hope it's Erasure.

Ha, ha, ha!!! Fuckin' Noos.

For me it's The Pet Shop Boys by a country mile. They made great pop music with a soulful edge, whereas Erasure sounded like the most cliché-ridden, Euro-pop, gay disco of my worst nightmares.

A little respect is a tune but, for me, the Pet Shop Boys have done more high quality tune making down the years. And also, thinking of the Pet Shop Boys always makes me think of this:

7wqfcwgT0Ds

Which is always a good thing.

"you want to sit down, but you've sold your chair, so....you just stand there"

I love this clip, FOTC is brilliant.

• 7 months later...