You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...

At Manchester Punk Fest. Miffed I couldn’t get into see snuff as it was full when we got there and too big a queue to even consider waiting in, but otherwise had a cracking 2 days so far. Have barely known a band or song so far but taken away a lot of names I want to listen to more of.

im drunk and it’s 2:30 in the morning so I’ll not bother trying too hard to remember them now, but Bruise Control yesterday were ace; Mobina galore today make we want to listen again  and I reckon they could be a really good listen on a long drive. Good to be listening to new (to me) stuff, and fuck I love live music.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

I watched Justin Hawkins Rides Again on YouTube last night and he has an episode about this song, he's listening to it for 'the first time' and grinning from ear to ear.

I like those Justin Hawkins ride again videos. The one last year where he was slating the new RHCP song was hilarious. 

I can't be arsed with new Metallica anymore. Every single song they release sounds exactly the same and it feels a bit paint by numbers. I'm just not really sure the world needs new Metallica music anymore, as accomplished as it is.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Chris said:

I can't be arsed with new Metallica anymore. Every single song they release sounds exactly the same and it feels a bit paint by numbers. I'm just not really sure the world needs new Metallica music anymore, as accomplished as it is.

Same really, never a big fans start from the standout earlier songs, been hearing them quite a bit recently as my son has been learning their songs on guitar after watching that latest season of Stranger Things.

I have heard enough of Master of Puppets riffs for several lifetimes!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

Same really, never a big fans start from the standout earlier songs, been hearing them quite a bit recently as my son has been learning their songs on guitar after watching that latest season of Stranger Things.

I have heard enough of Master of Puppets riffs for several lifetimes!

Just ready for some new voices in metal, and Metallica are just taking up space at this point. The entire genre is in a massive funk and has practically no mainstream presence apart from the long-established names.

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Just off into the O2 in Leeds to see The Damned. New material is boss and the tour has great reviews. Cunt beer prices though. 

Worst venue in Leeds in big part because of the beer prices, imo

On 09/04/2023 at 02:31, Bob Spunkmouse said:

At Manchester Punk Fest. Miffed I couldn’t get into see snuff as it was full when we got there and too big a queue to even consider waiting in, but otherwise had a cracking 2 days so far. Have barely known a band or song so far but taken away a lot of names I want to listen to more of.

im drunk and it’s 2:30 in the morning so I’ll not bother trying too hard to remember them now, but Bruise Control yesterday were ace; Mobina galore today make we want to listen again  and I reckon they could be a really good listen on a long drive. Good to be listening to new (to me) stuff, and fuck I love live music.

Really wanted to go to this this year. Was a great line-up. Missed that Discharge had been added late. Also, please tell me you caught Frankie Stubbs, one of the best songwriters in the country. The acoustic set he played in London last year was probably my favourite gig of the year.

Caught Catbite and Kill Lincoln in London a week or so ago, both were excellent. Lightyear and Call Me Malcolm both always a good time as well.

11 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Worst venue in Leeds in big part because of the beer prices, imo

FD Arena is worse. In fact, I’d say it’s the worst arena I’ve been to. 

Cunt stewards telling everyone to sit down, shite beer prices, it seems to attract more whoppers intent on taking photos / videos instead of enjoying it and worst of all, the sound is never loud or crisp enough.

If a band was playing at FD and MEN, I’d chose to go to the MEN. 

I’ve not been post COVID19 (think I last saw Royal Blood)  but I’m going to see Iron Maiden in July, hopefully it’s improved.

13 hours ago, Chris said:

Just ready for some new voices in metal, and Metallica are just taking up space at this point. The entire genre is in a massive funk and has practically no mainstream presence apart from the long-established names.

The newer bands aren’t good enough.

I don’t get the mainstream love for Bring Me The Horizon,  I think are absolutely bang average. Sempiternal was good, the rest have a couple of decent tracks and a lot of filler. 

Of the newer bands, I can only really say Turnstile are doing something different or exciting. 

Looking through my iTunes catalogue, I do think Higher Power, Green Lung & Spiritbox have done some interesting stuff. 

9 hours ago, Pidge said:

Really wanted to go to this this year. Was a great line-up. Missed that Discharge had been added late. Also, please tell me you caught Frankie Stubbs, one of the best songwriters in the country. The acoustic set he played in London last year was probably my favourite gig of the year.

Caught Catbite and Kill Lincoln in London a week or so ago, both were excellent. Lightyear and Call Me Malcolm both always a good time as well.

I’m awful for just listening to the same bands I’ve been listening to for 20 years until I either get forced to listen to something else, or I see them at rebellion or something.

I saw call me Malcolm at rebellion on the introducing stage a few years ago and thought they were great. Didn’t see them here as we were somewhere else at the time but they did a reel big fish cover set at the Saturday night after party which was fun.

wonk unit was maybe my favourite band of the weekend. I’ve seen them a couple of times before at rebellion but was drunk and tired and didn’t know their stuff so it annoyed me. This year I was only tired but not drunk as I was driving home straight after, and I thought they were boss.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scott_M said:

The newer bands aren’t good enough.

I don’t get the mainstream love for Bring Me The Horizon,  I think are absolutely bang average. Sempiternal was good, the rest have a couple of decent tracks and a lot of filler. 

Of the newer bands, I can only really say Turnstile are doing something different or exciting. 

Looking through my iTunes catalogue, I do think Higher Power, Green Lung & Spiritbox have done some interesting stuff. 

I'd say it's more of an industry thing than a lack of talent thing. Turnstile might be the only band making waves, but that's because the machine got behind them, not because of a massive uptick in the quality of their tunes in the latest album. They've always been a sick hardcore band. Now you see their tunes in Taco Bell commercials over here.

Metal has to be so safe now for it to get any airplay. 

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

I'd say it's more of an industry thing than a lack of talent thing. Turnstile might be the only band making waves, but that's because the machine got behind them, not because of a massive uptick in the quality of their tunes in the latest album. They've always been a sick hardcore band. Now you see their tunes in Taco Bell commercials over here.

Metal has to be so safe now for it to get any airplay. 

If you have any examples, I'd happily check them out.

Probably their most 'Bad Brains' style song, but I quite like them for new hyped up hardcore. Beyond them, Northeast Regional are probably my latest new band on the punk side of hardcore.

I quite like Turnstile too. There's loads of newer stuff that's pretty cool and interesting, but there's not much space for many breakthrough acts. IDLES still probably the latest big name to do so over here. They're still ace too.

On the more metal side of things, Kvelertak is still pretty much the latest I've gotten into. Not in much of a position to talk about that.

Edit: Counterparts! Converge/La Dispute style. Some good stuff.

6 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’m awful for just listening to the same bands I’ve been listening to for 20 years until I either get forced to listen to something else, or I see them at rebellion or something.

I saw call me Malcolm at rebellion on the introducing stage a few years ago and thought they were great. Didn’t see them here as we were somewhere else at the time but they did a reel big fish cover set at the Saturday night after party which was fun.

wonk unit was maybe my favourite band of the weekend. I’ve seen them a couple of times before at rebellion but was drunk and tired and didn’t know their stuff so it annoyed me. This year I was only tired but not drunk as I was driving home straight after, and I thought they were boss.

Need to listen to wonk unit properly at some point I saw them play an album I'd never heard of in full at a fest last year. Seemed like the kind of band that has had quite an influence on a lot of the DIY indie stuff out there these days.