You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alonso or Barry?

RedKnight

Alonso or Barry?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Alonso or Barry?

For the record Carrick is shit at tackling, possibly on a par with Lamps in that dept, Barry is a better tackler than both.

How did you reach that conclusion? :ermm:

Barry:

07/08: 3318 mins - 82 tackles won - 72 fouls conceded - 71,44% pass.compl

06/07: 3120 mins - 72 tackles won - 59 fouls conceded - 69,16% pass.compl

05/06: 3041 mins - 76 tackles won - 74 fouls conceded - 56,45% pass.compl

Carrick:

07/08: 2199 mins - 75 tackles won - 13 fouls conceded - 82,58% pass.compl

06/07: 2512 mins - 61 tackles won - 29 fouls conceded - 82,49% pass.compl

05/06: 3122 mins - 99 tackles won - 20 fouls conceded - 73,73% pass.compl

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you reach that conclusion? :ermm:

Barry:

07/08: 3318 mins - 82 tackles won - 72 fouls conceded - 71,44% pass.compl

06/07: 3120 mins - 72 tackles won - 59 fouls conceded - 69,16% pass.compl

05/06: 3041 mins - 76 tackles won - 74 fouls conceded - 56,45% pass.compl

Carrick:

07/08: 2199 mins - 75 tackles won - 13 fouls conceded - 82,58% pass.compl

06/07: 2512 mins - 61 tackles won - 29 fouls conceded - 82,49% pass.compl

05/06: 3122 mins - 99 tackles won - 20 fouls conceded - 73,73% pass.compl

What's your source for those?

M.Carrick is a much better player than G.Barry, he passes the ball better, he tackles better and he concede less fouls, Carrick together with Alonso is a player that make the players around him play better because he play good passes that makes it easier for his teamamtes to keep the flow in the game.

Barry is an average passer of the ball at best and no matter how much his worseshippers claim otherwise will change that fact.

Look at a player like D.Plessis in his two matches last season his pass completion was 83,45% thats a number Barry can only dream about to ever achieve, Barry could actually be a liability in a team who bases so much of its strategy controlling the game.

I dont have Momo`s numbers infront of me, but I would guess his pass completion rate was better than Barry`s even if Momo was seen as a liability because he gave the ball away so much.

Riise as an example, another Liverpool player known for giving the ball away cheaply, has also got a better pass completion rate than Gareth "safe feet" Barry.

But hey ho, Barry is absolutely superb and he will improve our passing game a lot. :D

Hello? Code72? Could you BE a more patronising turd?

300px-Chandlerbing.jpg

I`ll go for Barry simply because he`s more consistent than Xabi. Not much to choose between them on ability, on his day Xabi is a better passer but Barry will get more goals and assists. Also Barry can cover more positions.

:sniff::sniff::sniff:

Slightly. Whilst playing for a title winning team.

Stats are meaningless because they are being used against Barry who is in a shit team and compared to players in the top three. None of the other 'big 3' have anyone like Alonso in them, they either have defensive types or attacking types. Never have I see Rafa deploy Alonso in the holding role without someone behind and yet he is not a attacking mid.

I don't remember Carrick tearing up trees at Spurs or when he was in the 1st Div with West Ham and was so poo they took £3m for him. He has just won the league though, playing next to the likes of O'shea or Fletcher who just ran their arses off and moved the ball quickly to someone better when they did win it.

So thats Xabi's fault? O_o

no I wasnt saying it was but Sissoko was replaced by Javi and maybe Alonso being replaced by Barry might be equally as good a deal we wont know

It might be that Alonso is kept on the books till Jan to see if that is the case and then moved on either way you or anyone else wont be complaining should barry get off to a good start in the side none of this is either players fault i would just say lets see how the player performs before having a go at him players come and go Liverpool will always be here

Stats are meaningless because they are being used against Barry who is in a shit team and compared to players in the top three.

Absolute bollix. If Rafa said, nah, sod Barry, I'll bid for Ashley Young instead I'd quite warm to the idea. That he comes from a mid-table club has nothing to do with it. I think Barry is a good player but given his age and price-tag I'd rather pass it up.

I take it that means Barry is better?????

Even playing in a shit team.

Barry:

07/08: 3318 mins - 82 tackles won

Carrick:

07/08: 2199 mins - 75 tackles won

Since Carrick made 75 successful tackles in 2199 minutes, do you think there are a tiny chance he might be able to make 8 successful tackles if he played 1119 more minutes? O_o

Since Carrick made 75 successful tackles in 2199 minutes, do you think there are a tiny chance he might be able to make 8 successful tackles if he played 1119 more minutes? O_o

If Alonso butchered your whole family and Barry came in at the last minute and saved your cat would you consider him then?

I don't care what you say anymore it gets very tiring with your stats I've already dismissed as nonce-sense. They do not 'prove' anything.

What was Crouch's record before he came here? That's right he was a no-one, go and drag out his stats to correct me if you will. I'm sure you can prove he was a flying winger at Barca with your stats.

What were Alonso's stats before he came here too, that is the only accurate way to compare as Barry has not played for us yet?

What about Hyppia, do you have his stats in the Dutch league, I want to see if he should have been signed at all.

Lastly, I might add that there is nothing you can do, what will happen will happen and your opinions will count for nothing. Rafa and those involved will decide without your stats.

I will think of you when Barry is coming out the tunnel kitted out in red and think of what might have been, had you been in charge.

Seeing as how I want this to happen, and that it's going to happen and the fact that you don't want it to happen I don't know why I'm getting so annoyed. I should just sit back and watch you flip out over it.

A top player?

Please give us one or two facts to justify this wonderfully amazing statement as we are so bewildered by your vision for a good player.

I can't remember anything he has done to justify his price tag, why would anyone buy him for anything other than trying to push for a play off place in the Championship?