You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alonso or Barry?

RedKnight

Alonso or Barry?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Alonso or Barry?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally I'm insulted by the accusation I don't have a brain of my own.

my vote is based on observation of xabi of the past few seasons and him not raising to the heights of his debut season, watchng him increasingly get caught on possession putting us under needless pressure and not having enough drive through the center of the park with gerrard now utilised in a forward position but not wanting to drop gerrard back into the center of midfield.

and regarding barry his consistancy in the league is there for all to see.

my vote was made with my head not with my heart.

I'd argue Barry disappears against good opposition (particularly Manure), both for Villa and Engerland.

Xabi does get caught in possession too often, but the rest of his game is good. He is still relatively young. Anyway, Barry isn't here yet :whistle:

here's the 'hatchet man' in the daily mail, some of you won't like it !

--

After the usual rash of summer transfer sagas, one stands out as complete and utter madness.

Not Real Madrid's willingness to spend eye-popping sums on Cristiano Ronaldo or Emmanuel Adebayor's blatant and successful bid to hike up his wages at Arsenal.

No, it is the tug-of-war between Aston Villa and Liverpool over Gareth Barry - one of the most over-rated midfielders in the Premier League - that should leave everyone with a face as blank as the player's.

Can somebody please explain why the tidy but unexceptional 27-year-old has become one of the hottest properties around?

Rafael Benitez is prepared to sell some very good players to stump up the ridiculous £18 million fee required to sign Barry and even The Professor, Arsene Wenger, has studied the player and been tempted to make a move.

Villa manager Martin O'Neill, who studied law in his youth, has also ended up looking like a court jester after apparently misunderstanding due process in the transfer market.

He put his name to a statement claiming the shenanigans with Liverpool were over and Barry was staying after a club imposed deadline of July 30 , before backtracking a few days later when someone at Villa Park finally twigged the transfer window actually closes at the end of August.

And for what? A player who didn't establish his best position, in central midfield, until relatively late in his career. There, he works hard and can pass accurately over a short distance, but he is hardly Claude Makelele in his prime, a new version of Patrick Vieira or the Bryan Robson of the modern era.

Barry may be able to play alongside Steven Gerrard but he cannot pick a pass like Xabi Alonso. Barry's tackling is no better than average either and his goal scoring rate has barely been half that of Frank Lampard's.

Villa should snap Liverpool's hand off and use the money to buy an outstanding player instead.

Absolute perfection, i wish Rafa could have a read of that.

I'd argue Barry disappears against good opposition (particularly Manure), both for Villa and Engerland.

Xabi does get caught in possession too often, but the rest of his game is good. He is still relatively young. Anyway, Barry isn't here yet :whistle:

This getting caught in possession bullshit is getting on my nerves now.

How often have Alonso actually been caught in possession of the ball and what has been the main reason for it almost every time it has happened?

Alonso is a player who knows exactly where to pass before he gets the ball, him being caught in possession, my guess would be around 10 times last season happened because he wanted to make a forward pass and no movement actually materialized from our pedestrian attacking players, but Alonso knows he will be able to play that pass when it does so he keeps the ball to see if someone will make a run without the ball, but no, and then the opposition manages to hunt him down.

Another thing is that I find it really funny how this being caught in possession stuff is a worse way of losing the ball to the opposition than playing a bad pass.

Alonso are probably the one player in our team who loses the ball to the opposition less during a game and the season in whole, but because he has been caught in possession a few times mostly because of lack of attacking movement this is now used against him as some kind of stick to beat him with.

I dont know what it is, blind faith, lack of knowledge etc but when people bring up this getting caught in posession stuff they clearly aint able to see the big picture.

Barry has a pass completion rate of 56,45%, 69,16% and 71,44% the last three seasons, while Alonso`s completion rate is 78,10%, 80,82% and 79,80%.

So let me ask one simple question, which player will give the ball away to our opposition more, Barry or Alonso?

--

After the usual rash of summer transfer sagas, one stands out as complete and utter madness.

Not Real Madrid's willingness to spend eye-popping sums on Cristiano Ronaldo or Emmanuel Adebayor's blatant and successful bid to hike up his wages at Arsenal.

No, it is the tug-of-war between Aston Villa and Liverpool over Gareth Barry - one of the most over-rated midfielders in the Premier League - that should leave everyone with a face as blank as the player's.

Can somebody please explain why the tidy but unexceptional 27-year-old has become one of the hottest properties around?

Rafael Benitez is prepared to sell some very good players to stump up the ridiculous £18 million fee required to sign Barry and even The Professor, Arsene Wenger, has studied the player and been tempted to make a move.

Villa manager Martin O'Neill, who studied law in his youth, has also ended up looking like a court jester after apparently misunderstanding due process in the transfer market.

He put his name to a statement claiming the shenanigans with Liverpool were over and Barry was staying after a club imposed deadline of July 30 , before backtracking a few days later when someone at Villa Park finally twigged the transfer window actually closes at the end of August.

And for what? A player who didn't establish his best position, in central midfield, until relatively late in his career. There, he works hard and can pass accurately over a short distance, but he is hardly Claude Makelele in his prime, a new version of Patrick Vieira or the Bryan Robson of the modern era.

Barry may be able to play alongside Steven Gerrard but he cannot pick a pass like Xabi Alonso. Barry's tackling is no better than average either and his goal scoring rate has barely been half that of Frank Lampard's.

Villa should snap Liverpool's hand off and use the money to buy an outstanding player instead.

On the money

Baaaaaaah.

Baaah baaah Barry baaah baaah Alonso baaah baah baaaaah.

Bleet baaah baaah.

Sorry, I thought I would speak in my own language for daring to go against what the self appointed expert professors of the forum say. Patronising assholes.

For the record, if Xabi carries on his form he showed against Rangers in pre season and gets a game against Sunderland, and does the same, I would change my mind and I hope that Rafa would look at it again. However, at current moment, Xabi does not do it for us and is mostly a passenger, hence him being usurped in midfield and having his playing time last season cut in half. Momo was boss when he first arrived, then went off the boil - he was sold on. That set the record straight for the squad, perform like Rafa wants or get out. Xabi obviously hasn't done it so why keep him?

Yes, football is that simple.

A shite artical with little or no thought gone into it the fact is we have had Alonso for 4 years and not managed to win the Prem maybe rafa has plans for both Barry and Alonso maybe he will sell Alonso who knows Barry has always been sort after but he hasnt been wanting to leave Villa before now his value to liverpool will be known at the end of the sason if we have 19 then what price would you put on him then if Rafa had walked away the same artical would have been written but it would be questioning Liverpool and Rafa's comitment and ability to challange and attract top players let this knobbhead have his 15 mins and let us have a season of highs

A shite artical with little or no thought gone into it the fact is we have had Alonso for 4 years and not managed to win the Prem maybe rafa has plans for both Barry and Alonso maybe he will sell Alonso who knows Barry has always been sort after but he hasnt been wanting to leave Villa before now his value to liverpool will be known at the end of the sason if we have 19 then what price would you put on him then if Rafa had walked away the same artical would have been written but it would be questioning Liverpool and Rafa's comitment and ability to challange and attract top players let this knobbhead have his 15 mins and let us have a season of highs

So thats Xabi's fault? O_o

--

Ouch.

Ferguson signed Carrick for £18m, a less accomplished player than Barry, everyone in here laughed. They are not laughing now. Man Utd win a treble playing the likes of O'shea in Centre Mid and frequently getting away with it.

Neither Code or Xabi's laughter will be heard this time next year.

Alonso is an artist we don't need to win the league, his best performances have been in the Champions league where he is given time on the ball and can be more effective. Arsenal want him on the cheap and a Fenerbarche that is really desperate other than that I don't see any takers.

--

hatchet man spouting more shit as usual

Absolute perfection, i wish Rafa could have a read of that.

Press: So, Rafa, your sudden change in transfer policy has been the subject of much debate. Can you please explain why you decided to sell Robbie Keane, ditch your interest in Gareth Barry and buy Quaresma and Guti instead?

Rafa: When the hatchet man speaks, you've just got to listen, no?

Baaaaaaah.

Baaah baaah Barry baaah baaah Alonso baaah baah baaaaah.

Bleet baaah baaah.

Sorry, I thought I would speak in my own language for daring to go against what the self appointed expert professors of the forum say. Patronising assholes.

For the record, if Xabi carries on his form he showed against Rangers in pre season and gets a game against Sunderland, and does the same, I would change my mind and I hope that Rafa would look at it again. However, at current moment, Xabi does not do it for us and is mostly a passenger, hence him being usurped in midfield and having his playing time last season cut in half. Momo was boss when he first arrived, then went off the boil - he was sold on. That set the record straight for the squad, perform like Rafa wants or get out. Xabi obviously hasn't done it so why keep him?

Yes, football is that simple.

seconded

Ferguson signed Carrick for £18m, a less accomplished player than Barry, everyone in here laughed. They are not laughing now. Man Utd win a treble playing the likes of O'shea in Centre Mid and frequently getting away with it.

Alonso is an artist we don't need to win the league, his best performances have been in the Champions league where he is given time on the ball and can be more effective. Arsenal want him on the cheap and a Fenerbarche that is really desperate other than that I don't see any takers.

Means fuck all, Barcelona are struggling to sell Eto'o does that mean he's not that good as well?

If Pako was still here we wouldnt be swapping Barry for Alonso simple as.

We might still be selling Xabi but it would be purely football based decision which it clealy isnt at the present time.

You've accused the people who disagree with you of not thinking for themselves and yet you're the person on here who most frequently gets confused between the difference of what's opinion and what's fact. This suggests a brain staggeringly devoid of any critical thinking faculties and in turn the ability to actually think for yourself.

Ignoring the fact that your two sentences are contradictory, is the above assertion actually based on anything other than the fact that Xabi and Pako were friends and Xabi mentioned he was missed?

For the record, I'd much rather we kept Alonso than bought in Barry but I'm not claiming to know the exact reasons for Rafa wanting to get rid of him. It could be personal, it could be anything but clearly there is an argument that on domestic form over the last couple of years, Barry would be a good addition. Be good to hear how you know that it's not based on football.

M.Carrick is a much better player than G.Barry, he passes the ball better, he tackles better and he concede less fouls, Carrick together with Alonso is a player that make the players around him play better because he play good passes that makes it easier for his teamamtes to keep the flow in the game.

Barry is an average passer of the ball at best and no matter how much his worseshippers claim otherwise will change that fact.

Look at a player like D.Plessis in his two matches last season his pass completion was 83,45% thats a number Barry can only dream about to ever achieve, Barry could actually be a liability in a team who bases so much of its strategy controlling the game.

I dont have Momo`s numbers infront of me, but I would guess his pass completion rate was better than Barry`s even if Momo was seen as a liability because he gave the ball away so much.

Riise as an example, another Liverpool player known for giving the ball away cheaply, has also got a better pass completion rate than Gareth "safe feet" Barry.

But hey ho, Barry is absolutely superb and he will improve our passing game a lot. :D

What we need is some sciency bloke, preferably complete with a Tefal-head and pencils sticking out of the pocket on his chemical-stained jacket, to splice the DNA of both of them thus creating a new wonderplayer called Gabi Balonso.

Normality would be restored and we can all get back to posting pictures of tarts with their baps out on the GF.

United needed Carrick as Keane left and all they had left was Fletcher with Scholes out with a long term eye injury. We have 3 CM's better than Barry here already.

Yes, thanks for reminding me about the other shite CM, O'shea and Fletcher were mainstays of that team. Neither of which are half as good as Gareth Barry. They also had a patched up Scholes and burnt out Giggs.

They have consistently beaten us time and again with our Austin 'meastro' Alonso on our team with that shite in their CM.

For the record Carrick is shit at tackling, possibly on a par with Lamps in that dept, Barry is a better tackler than both.

For the record Keane had not been playing for 3 years before Carrick was signed.

For the record if UTD can replace Keane with Carrick then why not Alonso with Barry, except we get decent money for Alonso.