You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I was flicking through Amazon Prime the other night and saw a western called Bone Tomahawk.

In the dying days of the old west, an elderly sheriff and his posse set out to rescue their town's doctor from cannibalistic cave dwellers. 

I’d never heard of it before. With low expectations, I stick it on.

Fucking hell, absolutely brutal. It looks phenomenal. I liked all the cast. I thoroughly, thoroughly, enjoyed it.

That scene is a tricky wank. Not impossible, though.

• Upvote 1

Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

One of the greatest. 
it’s a 9/10 everyday of the week. 

Dreyfuss, Dillon and Garr superb and the second film in as many years for Spielberg, which then cemented him in the league of great directors.

That other film being Jaws.

Not many films have captured the suspense and edge of seat viewing like these two films did, and have, ever since.

• Upvote 2

Babylon. Watchable even if it does go on for the best part of a week. Margot Robbie is great, makes the extra 2 hours worthwhile.

Some parts of the movie are brilliant, others are self indulgent shite that go on way too long. Probably would have made a good mini series. 7/10

Whiplash.

Second time I've watched it and I was even less impressed this time.  A right load of fucking bollocks, 3/10

The Rise of Skywalker.

Again, the second watch didn't improve it. Bringing Palpatine back was a mistake & as usual with kids films these days, it is far too long. 4/10

• Upvote 1

God Is A Bullet

Based on the true story about a young lass, kidnapped and abused by some maniacal Satanic cult and the lengths (and depths) to which her small town cop father goes to get her back.

Jamie Lannister stars in this incredibly (and unnecessarily) brutal mess of a film.

A bunch of tattooed gothic fuckwits play the protagonists, and at 2 and a half hours long, GIAB is a right fucking mess.

A tedious 4/10

On 25/07/2023 at 11:00, Mook said:

Whiplash.

Second time I've watched it and I was even less impressed this time.  A right load of fucking bollocks, 3/10

The Rise of Skywalker.

Again, the second watch didn't improve it. Bringing Palpatine back was a mistake & as usual with kids films these days, it is far too long. 4/10

I thought it was only me who thought Whiplash was absolute wank.

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

It's fucking awful.

I only gave it three stars for some of the music in it.

I remember it getting loads of plaudits at the time of its release,Oscar nominated too,I think? I just thought it was shit and I would have been surprised if actual drummers like yourself thought it anywhere near as good as critics of the time.

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I remember it getting loads of plaudits at the time of its release,Oscar nominated too,I think? I just thought it was shit and I would have been surprised if actual drummers like yourself thought it anywhere near as good as critics of the time.

For starters, drummers hands don't bleed from practicing hard. Blisters, yes. blood, no chance. Maybe if you cut yourself on a cymbal or tension rod but that wasn't happening in the film.

Secondly, Charlie Parker got the name 'Bird' because he ate chicken all the time, not for the bullshit reason they gave in the film.

Thirdly, as someone who spent two years at music college, it isn't the Olympic Games, you make friends and learn from people. You don't go around calling the other musicians shite to the teacher or whatever.

And lastly, the teacher directing him during the final drum solo was ludicrous. The only person who directs a solo is the person playing it. It was laughable.

Other than that, it's just shite, I didn't feel anything for a single character in it other than maybe his bird.

28 minutes ago, Mook said:

For starters, drummers hands don't bleed from practicing hard. Blisters, yes. blood, no chance. Maybe if you cut yourself on a cymbal or tension rod but that wasn't happening in the film.

Secondly, Charlie Parker got the name 'Bird' because he ate chicken all the time, not for the bullshit reason they gave in the film.

Thirdly, as someone who spent two years at music college, it isn't the Olympic Games, you make friends and learn from people. You don't go around calling the other musicians shite to the teacher or whatever.

And lastly, the teacher directing him during the final drum solo was ludicrous. The only person who directs a solo is the person playing it. It was laughable.

Other than that, it's just shite, I didn't feel anything for a single character in it other than maybe his bird.

I'd also imagine that if a teacher of any sort spoke to students like that teacher does there would be at least one lad who'd shove the  high hat so far up his rectum he'd be farting Wipeout by the Surfaris with every step.

On 23/07/2023 at 16:27, Bjornebye said:

Brilliant. Up there with lemontree.org for 00's stitch ups that 

Oh piss off I was hoping for a challenger to Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas and Jaws with this. Should have learnt it'll never happen from The Irishman I guess. 

Worth a wank though? 

That'll be 'Killers of the Flower Moon'...I hope

On 23/07/2023 at 21:34, Chip Butty said:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

One of the greatest. 
it’s a 9/10 everyday of the week. 

Dreyfuss, Dillon and Garr superb and the second film in as many years for Spielberg, which then cemented him in the league of great directors.

That other film being Jaws.

Not many films have captured the suspense and edge of seat viewing like these two films did, and have, ever since.

My favourite movie ever, even to this day it still holds it own.

Another Round.

Danish film about four teachers who decide to experiment with having extra alcohol in their blood throughout the day to spice their lives up a bit. Really good this & quite thought provoking. 8/10.

Dead Man Walking.

Susan Sarandon & Sean Pean star as a nun and a death row inmate who grow closer as the lethal injection becomes inevitable. The script in this is pretty telegraphed but their performances are superb & the soundtrack is great. 7.5/10.

6 hours ago, Mudface said:

Oppenheimer 9.5/10. Absolutely fantastic film. 3 hours wasn't long enough, it was superb. This is what I used to go to the cinema week after week for. Stick your CGI and your franchises up your hole.

I heard someone at my work complaining that "There's 15 straight minutes of some men talking in an office." in this film.

People are fucking morons.

• Haha 2

Oppenheimer is outst

6 hours ago, Mudface said:

Oppenheimer 9.5/10. Absolutely fantastic film. 3 hours wasn't long enough, it was superb. This is what I used to go to the cinema week after week for. Stick your CGI and your franchises up your hole.

Yep truly outstanding. For me Nolan's best film since Memento

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I heard someone at my work complaining that "There's 15 straight minutes of some men talking in an office." in this film.

People are fucking morons.

It is a proper old fashioned "talkie" in the truest sense of the word

1 minute ago, Mook said:

While I'm having a moan, folk in my office were pissing themselves laughing at me yesterday because I went on a rant about how they're called films, picture houses, series & programmes.

Gimps.

If they use the word season instead of series they should be gassed like badgers

• Upvote 2