You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 09/06/2023 at 20:24, Scott_M said:

Guardians Of The Galaxy 3

Better then the 2nd one, not as good as the first. 

A couple of hokey moments that could about been dreadful but thankfully weren’t. 

As per, Drax gets the best lines.

Totally agree. Shit playlist I thought.

Watched on our dodgy box, whoever filmed it did a great job, including audience laughter.

Extraction 2 - 8/10. If you’ve seen the first one you know what you’re getting. Firmly establishes Hemsworth in Tier 1 of action stars along with Reeves. Check your brain at the door and break out the beer and popcorn.

• Upvote 1

Kurt Vonnegut: Unstuck In Time

A heartfelt biopic of the great American writer and all round wonderful human being.

As a Vonnegut fan, I found this insightful, heartbreaking and quite beautiful. For those of you who've never indulged in his wonderful books then ido wonder if there's enough here to inspire or intrigue.

NERD 8/10 busy busy busy

• Upvote 1

Beau Is Afraid

Has anyone seen this?

Currently watching but I think I'm going to have to turn this off because it's purposely nonsensical and boiling my fucking piss tbh.

Mental, a bit like that Everything, Always, All At Once thing (which I despised), but with some graphic themes and deliberate scenes set to shock.

Trying far too hard to be edgy.

2/10

On 18/06/2023 at 12:41, Anubis said:

Extraction 2 - 8/10. If you’ve seen the first one you know what you’re getting. Firmly establishes Hemsworth in Tier 1 of action stars along with Reeves. Check your brain at the door and break out the beer and popcorn.

Agree on that, very enjoyable. I went for beer and chocolate.

Awakenings - 8.5/10

Stumbled across this on Netflix. It's about a new drug that 'awakens' catatonic patients starring Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro. Absolute belter, based on a true story. Some exceptional movies were made in the 90's.

What an actor DeNiro is by the way, true master of his craft.

19 minutes ago, Elite said:

Awakenings - 8.5/10

Stumbled across this on Netflix. It's about a new drug that 'awakens' catatonic patients starring Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro. Absolute belter, based on a true story. Some exceptional movies were made in the 90's.

What an actor DeNiro is by the way, true master of his craft.

I went to the pictures to see that and it blew me away as a kid. Absolutely class film that doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves.

• Upvote 1

Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 - The ballad of Rocket Raccoon. 8/10. Worth the entry for “stretched-faced, Robocop looking shithead” alone. 

Gridlocked - 6.5/10. Dracula from Blade 3 takes on a group of mercy run by the blind guy from Don’t Breathe. And Vinny Jones. Whose attempts to hold and fire a gun in a meaningful way are unintentionally hilarious. Vinny gets blown into globs of flesh by a grenade. Which is just wish fulfilment on the film-makers part.

Mother Night

Nick Nolte plays an American - German spy / propagandist during WW2 in this dramatisation of Kurt Vonnegut's emotive story.

A stellar supporting cast led by the gorgeous Sheryl Lee, Alan Arkin and Kirsten Dunst tread just the right path, and there's a little cameo from the great man himself.

Wonderful use of music throughout too, never intrusive.

Really good 7.5/10

The Flash 4/10

Shite, hated the tone and comedy of the first hour but then it only got slightly better. 

Awful story, the ending makes no sense, questionable character motivations for certain things, laughable CGI and use of Deep Fake technology, Barry 2 was annoying as fuck, cringey lines.

Literally no one does what they set out to do in the film and everyone fails.

Barry learns some important lessons and then makes the same mistake. 

Another shitefest from DC

The Flash - 5.5/10. Largely agree with Juniper, but I liked the following:

1. I actually thought it was clever writing to do the origin without a flashback or setting part of it three years earlier. Doing the origin and making it part of the present story was some nice outside the box thinking.

2. Michael Fucking Keaton. Easily the best thing about the film. Loved the idea of his Bruce Wayne haunting Wayne Manor as a feral loner because Gotham is now one of the safest cities in the US and Batman is no longer needed. Also good to see his story closed out in a worthy fashion.

3. Sasha Calle in the supe-suit really did it for me.

Those are the things getting the extra marks.

• Upvote 2

On 08/02/2021 at 23:16, Bjornebye said:

Greenland 

Really enjoyed it. Pisses on Deep Impact and the like. Looked great on the projector as well. Really good catastrophe film without the needless cheese. Actually it was quite unsettling that it wasn’t cheesy. The wife send it from a 7 to an 8 she is truly spectacular 8/10

Gave this another watch. Still a decent movie. I like the beginning with the presidential alert shit and then them watching the first rock hit Tampa and it being far worse than expected. 

ndiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Much better than Crystal Skull. Deaging effect is 90% brilliant. If you don't like Phoebe Waller-Bridge this won't change your mind but I thought she was good. Mangold knows how to send ageing heroes off in their last movies.

• Upvote 2