You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Do have a bit of a soft spot for Event Horizon but it has dated a fair bit from when I watched it as a kid. The CGI is proper naff and it’s a bit more campy than I remember (mainly the final third).

Having said it it’s still a great idea that’s done pretty well overall. Some of the set design is still great (the event horizon core in the ship still looks brilliant). 

Sunshine was decent until that final act which I found utterly shite and bizarre. 

9 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

We watched it when it came out.

I vaguely remember bits of it and when I spotted it on Sky a while back said to Mrs HL who loves horror films we'll watch it again she refused point blank. It spooked her apparently and gave her nightmares.

Talking about films that give you nightmares, Salem's Lot is just starting on Sky Sci Fi channel 152.

I know it's not a film, but a 2 part series, but fucking hell there's a bit in it that shit me up.

• Upvote 3

Fall

Strange one to score this, as a story line, acting and the general premise of the film, then its a 3 maybe a 3.5. As a film from heights, cinematography and seamless CGI and visual impact, its a 9. 

All I can say is, if you're not scared of heights and have nothing to do, watch this as a stocking filler for something else you are waiting on, if on the other hand you are scared of heights, have vertigo or any other vertical panics, then this film isn't for you. I am nervy with heights and my stomach was churning, to the point I looked away on a number of occasions.

I was glad when this film had finally ran its short 1hr 30-ish minutes worth of time, for a number of reasons. 

7 what the fuck are you doings you silly bastards / 10 fuck that for a game of soldiers.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Talking about films that give you nightmares, Salem's Lot is just starting on Sky Sci Fi channel 152.

I know it's not a film, but a 2 part series, but fucking hell there's a bit in it that shit me up.

That was a great series. Presumably the bit you're talking about is his mate knocking on the window?

Everything everywhere all at one.

I had to watch it in 2 halves because of commitments, which didnt help. The concept it great and I think it's pretty well executed too. Unfortunately I didnt think the actual story was that great. 

I feel like I need to watch it all again to fully understand it but I dont think I actually want to. As others have said its unlike anything I have really seen before. At times its just bizarre but I dont think it ever strays into farce. Close but jot quite.

6/10 for me, possibly higher if I watched it in one go.

20 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Fucks sake, it still gives me chills.

It was probably a little later on, maybe 1983 or so because I remember being 15 at the time, when the full version of the Sybil TV movie was shown on BBC2. Did you (or anyone else) see that? Absolutely harrowing and really scary when the character shifts personality in the blink of an eye. Amazing performance from Sally Field, but that along with Salem's Lot really creeped me out. Probably stupidly, I read the book it was based on when I was at university and that was even worse for me. Fortunately for the woman, it appears that a lot of the story was made up by her psychologist and 'Sybil' was a brilliant mimic and hysteric rather someone suffering from massive childhood abuse and multiple personality disorder.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075296/reference/

15 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It was probably a little later on, maybe 1983 or so because I remember being 15 at the time, when the full version of the Sybil TV movie was shown on BBC2. Did you (or anyone else) see that? Absolutely harrowing and really scary when the character shifts personality in the blink of an eye. Amazing performance from Sally Field, but that along with Salem's Lot really creeped me out. Probably stupidly, I read the book it was based on when I was at university and that was even worse for me. Fortunately for the woman, it appears that a lot of the story was made up by her psychologist and 'Sybil' was a brilliant mimic and hysteric rather someone suffering from massive childhood abuse and multiple personality disorder.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075296/reference/

It doesn't ring any bells that one mate.

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

It doesn't ring any bells that one mate.

Fair enough, it is pretty obscure these days, and it's probably not worth looking out for as it's so disturbing. It was apparently massive in the US in the mid-70s when it came out and I'm sure I read somewhere it was largely responsible for the massive explosion in MPD diagnoses following its release.

Marked for Death

Unintentionally hilarious drugs are bad crusade early '90s action flick. There's so much to unpack; Steven Seagal's greasy barnet, him clearly wearing his own ridiculous clobber, the fact he runs like a girl, and Keith David rocking up in Jamaica dressed like a British dad in Benidorm, it's just great.

The highlight for me was the prerequisite action movie tooling up montage. They make their own silencers, press bullets, then Seagal fires a machine gun at point blank range into a huge fuck off slab of meat for no reason. Oh, and Danny Trejo and Jimmy Cliff pop up too.

It's up there with the gif of Seagal shooting kids as his best work.

7 bombaclarts out of 10

7 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Marked for Death

Unintentionally hilarious drugs are bad crusade early '90s action flick. There's so much to unpack; Steven Seagal's greasy barnet, him clearly wearing his own ridiculous clobber, the fact he runs like a girl, and Keith David rocking up in Jamaica dressed like a British dad in Benidorm, it's just great.

The highlight for me was the prerequisite action movie tooling up montage. They make their own silencers, press bullets, then Seagal fires a machine gun at point blank range into a huge fuck off slab of meat for no reason. Oh, and Danny Trejo and Jimmy Cliff pop up too.

It's up there with the gif of Seagal shooting kids as his best work.

7 bombaclarts out of 10

*makes note to watch Marked For Death immediately 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Nope - Jordan Peele has a crack at UFOs, adding his own little twist (quite a clever one, imo). Talented fella. 8.5/10

When I was in LA last month, we went to Universal Studios and part of the back lot tour was going through the town where they shot the film. 

Not watched it yet, I’ll watch it just because of that, it likely wouldn’t be on my radar otherwise. 

The Post. 8/10.

True story about the newspapers fight to publish the Pentagon papers.

For those who don't know the papers could be about any set of politicians anywhere in the world, the lying bastards.

Tom Hanks being the best actor around.

Meryl Streep? Does nothing for me as an actress but plays the part of owner very good.

Inspired me to watch  All the Presidents Men this week.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

The Post. 8/10.

True story about the newspapers fight to publish the Pentagon papers.

For those who don't know the papers could be about any set of politicians anywhere in the world, the lying bastards.

Tom Hanks being the best actor around.

Meryl Streep? Does nothing for me as an actress but plays the part of owner very good.

Inspired me to watch  All the Presidents Men this week.

Very good film that. Has Tom Hanks ever done a shit film? 

Streep is really good in Devil Wears Prada. Bit of a chick flick but she's superb playing a right bitch in it. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Very good film that. Has Tom Hanks ever done a shit film? 

Streep is really good in Devil Wears Prada. Bit of a chick flick but she's superb playing a right bitch in it. 

Not for me he hasn't, wasn't sure what to watch so Tom it was.

Take your word for it mate, didn't even like her in Deerhunter, most boring part of the film.