You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Top Gun - Maverick

Against my better judgement I bowed to peer pressure and gave this a spin. Hated the first film and this was cut from exactly the same cloth.

Cannot stand Cruise or Kilmer and the upstarts were also jingoistic USA morons.

The film looked amazing and the aerial scenes were undeniably exhilarating, if entirely predictable.

Enjoyed it far more than I feared, 4/10

Top Gun: Maverick (AKA Top Gun does Star Wars:ANH)

Bloody loved it despite the SW comparisons. Tom Cruise defies nature when it comes to aging (or his surgeon is fucking amazing). Jennifer Connelly is such a beautiful women. Didn't even mind the jingoism. It was a Top Gum film. Jingoism was to be expected. 
Great film 8/10. 

Maverick - Team America

Durka Durka, Durka Durka Mohamed Jihad…..Act Tom,  Act……. America! fuck YEAH! Comin again to save the motherfuckin day yeah! 
Matt Damon. 

Three kinds of people / Pearl Harbour sucks. 

Mrs Butty, loved it and screamed at me to ‘just shut up will ye’ after my 20th ‘ America, fuck yeah!’ 

• Upvote 4

On 13/08/2022 at 22:39, Paul said:

Rewatched AVP tonight and it’s much better than I said here. It’s at least a 7.5/10 and the cast isn’t as shit as I recalled either. Think I was mixing it up with the next one. Love the expanded mythology, the links via Weyland to Alien, the crossover itself, the build up and pacing and also the action sequences. Some good shots of the face huggers in slow motion as they launch at their victims too. I really enjoyed it. 

I watched AVP Requiem last night and it’s frustratingly shit. The concept definitely works but the execution is shit. It has nods to various Predator and Alien big moments and I like the way it follows straight on from the previous one. However, a combination of a poor cast, weak dialogue and clearly sloppy editing means nothing hits. Easily the weakest in the entire Predator/Alien series. 3/10. 

Agree completely about AvP Requiem, there are some good things in it but it's workmanlike, at best. I think it's a weird thing to make B movies from prime franchises in the first instance though, that never sat right with me. The AvP computer games and comics have had that much more care and respect put into them.

Favourite piece of trivia on this film is that one of the Predators was portrayed by former West Ham and Tranmere goalie Ian Feuer.

• Upvote 1

Top Gun 2

American oil finds out an unnamed innocent country has found a new way of providing cheap energy to their citizens and calls in the USAF to wipe these upstarts out. 

Right up there with one of the worst films I’ve ever seen and I couldn’t wait to see this. 

Think I’ve broke a few metatarsals in my feet with the amount of times my toes curled back in cringe. 

You’ve seen this shite numerous times throughout the 80’s. 

Prey - A good effort to kickstart the franchise and can see them taking it on from here.  The only thing that let it down for me was the shit CGI.  Have we not got to a time where they can replicate the movement of animals without it looking like a cartoon?  Apart from that, it's a decent 90-100 min adventure.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Top Gun 2

American oil finds out an unnamed innocent country has found a new way of providing cheap energy to their citizens and calls in the USAF to wipe these upstarts out. 

Right up there with one of the worst films I’ve ever seen and I couldn’t wait to see this. 

Think I’ve broke a few metatarsals in my feet with the amount of times my toes curled back in cringe. 

You’ve seen this shite numerous times throughout the 80’s. 

Phew! And here I was hoping I hadn't missed out on a classic.

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Phew! And here I was hoping I hadn't missed out on a classic.

Can I shock you? I was gonna go and see this ON MY OWN at a cinema. I am so glad I didn’t now as I couldn’t live with the shame of my family seeing pictures of me getting my head lowered into the back of a police car after being arrested on a public order offence. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The noise of the bank shoot out is still absolutely amazing, even at home.

It's brilliantly made with quite a few subplots running alongside the main story that are all linked.

Trying to choose between Pacino and De Niro is impossible for me. Both have a ridiculous body of work.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

It's brilliantly made with quite a few subplots running alongside the main story that are all linked.

Trying to choose between Pacino and De Niro is impossible for me. Both have a ridiculous body of work.

Personally I think de Niro has slightly harmed his legacy with some of the 'comedy' roles he's played.

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

Personally I think de Niro has slightly harmed his legacy with some of the 'comedy' roles he's played.

I ignore all that to be honest.

Him doing a Warburton's bread advert remains unforgivable though.

• Like 1

Just now, Elite said:

I ignore all that to be honest.

Him doing a Warburton's bread advert remains unforgivable though.

He's also got a car named after him. Imagine buying a car called a Pacino?

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

Can I shock you? I was gonna go and see this ON MY OWN at a cinema. I am so glad I didn’t now as I couldn’t live with the shame of my family seeing pictures of me getting my head lowered into the back of a police car after being arrested on a public order offence. 

The best way to do it.

19 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The best way to do it.

You know what, I can imagine it would be. Just felt a bit uncomfortable about it. Plus the fact that I absolutely despise being around the general public in enclosed spaces doesn’t help.