You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Small pleasures?

Section_31

Toast done under a gas grill instead of in the toaster.

Fuck me it's years since I've had that. My gran used to make us toast from the grill and smother it in about half a pound of butter - fucking lovely. Thanks for that mate, I've just had a lovely memory of Gran.

• Upvote 1

RJ did a 21 bum salute (x amount of posts back). 

The rest of us mere 'men' are still metaphorically kissing his feet and marvelling at his former capacity.

I think you'll find

Edit. Dunno why but the toolbar doesnt seem to be working. Is it a 'toolbar'?

When I lived in Liverpool I used to love going to the Roscoe Head on a Sunday afternoon with my newspaper in hand. I'd order a pint of real ale and a packet of crisps and sit in the deserted front room musing over the crossword.

At the time I lived with three females and these Sunday afternoons were a life-saver - an oasis of calm and serenity.

• Upvote 1

Not working today so am going to make a massive pot of Serbian Bean Soup with a Smoked Ham. Will take about 4 hours from rinsing beans to completion. Will just potter around the kitchen every so often and let the slow cooking fill up the house with beautiful smells. Bliss

Chai's amazing, i used to order big bags of the stuff fresh from a herbalist, it had cloves, star anise, ginger root, cardamon everything in there whole. just brew it up with a tea strainer, the smell of the spices running through the house around christmas time, thats the golden ticket right there, small pleasures indeed.

Oh Man I need to get involved with this. Where can I buy it from?

Not working today so am going to make a massive pot of Serbian Bean Soup with a Smoked Ham. Will take about 4 hours from rinsing beans to completion. Will just potter around the kitchen every so often and let the slow cooking fill up the house with beautiful smells. Bliss

In a similar vein, I got a hankering for a proper ham sandwich this weekend and went out and bought a piece of ham and cooked it. These things are not just for Christmas