You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ever thought about emigrating?

Section_31

Stumbled on this Worlds Top Cities

The grass is always greener and all that, wouldn't mind checking Melbourne out for a couple of months - sounds class. Had a few mates that have been to Oz playing rugby for a year and never stop talking about the place.

I might try and become a plumber and see where it takes me!

Stumbled on this Worlds Top Cities

The grass is always greener and all that, wouldn't mind checking Melbourne out for a couple of months - sounds class. Had a few mates that have been to Oz playing rugby for a year and never stop talking about the place.

I might try and become a plumber and see where it takes me!

I emigrated and have stayed emigratt. Not to Oz mind. You wouldn't move here for the weather although the summers are champion. I moved here for the space. It is very mellow here, hardly any traffic, access to all open land, stuff like that. Skating on the lakes in the winter (or playing football on them like we did last weekend) and swimming in them in the summer. I miss a few things from England, but i have never regretted moving for a moment.

Do you think (long term) that you'll get pissed off with fixing train tracks? That's one of the worries long term, will you always be able to do the job you do now. Trying to work out the best time to move into something different.

I put together the foundations of starting up a company promoting music in Manchester and managing bands before I got my current job (as Marketing is the field I'm qualified in) and I always think I could piss it and make a decent living doing something I'd absolutely love. Don't know if I ever will though. I enjoy what I do as it gives me a sense of satisfaction and it's interesting but will i still want to be out in the rain and cold at three in the morning when I'm 40? Don't know but can;t see it really. By that time if I stay in the same industry I should be a project manager or something though.

I always consider changing career though as making enough to pay bills and do what I want when I want is all I'm looking for, not fortunes. I'm doing some FA coaching badges in the summer which opens up other options down the line.

I put together the foundations of starting up a company promoting music in Manchester and managing bands before I got my current job (as Marketing is the field I'm qualified in) and I always think I could piss it and make a decent living doing something I'd absolutely love. Don't know if I ever will though.

How come? You should start making some moves if thats what your really into.

I'm in a similar situation, i do a job i find reasonably interesting but its not my dream by any means, problem is it tires me out to the point where i struggle to find the time to 'hatch my plans'

A ballance of sorts needs to be found, or as Tom Cruise says to Jamie Foxx in Colatoral:

"One day you'll realise its all turned around on you, it never happened and you are old - you'll sit there all day in your bucko lounger being hytmotized by daytime TV, and all it would have taken is a down payment on a Lincoln town car"

I've always thought i could 'do this' or 'do that' but in my early twenties never found time to make it happen, then Paco spoke to me through a match day programme: "Success is not brought about because of what you are, but because of what you have done, luck is in love with hard work" True words of wisdom from the Plato of 21st century football!

I've got some stuff lined up now that might at least give me a chance, you should have a go mate!

How did you deal with the language? I take it you are fluent now, but weren't when you got there.

I'm not really a hot weather person myself. I'm more likely to be in the house on a hot summer's day, having a doze if possible. Then I'll wake up in the evening when it's cooler. There's a lot of appeal about moving over to Scandinavia, although of course I'd not consider it if we had a baby. The eat them over there don't you know.

I already spoke it when we moved this time. To be honest the level of English here is brilliant so you are fine without it. I wouldn't want to live in a place without knowing the language but it isn't taht hard to pick up. They offer free lessons to people who move here. You are confusing babies with herring.

I am possibly emigrating to Sydney next year with my girlfriend (who is Australian). It's just a case of proving that we have been living together for two years, which will happen in April next year. Am shitting it, but then she gave up her very cosy life in Sydney to come over here, so it's about time I repaid the favour. I lived in Sydney for a year about three years ago, so it's not quite so daunting as I already know I love the city and have lots of friends there. Also, as has been said before, the language is not a problem. Finally, it's much easier to get jobs in the media over there, especially if you're English and all your Australian friends work in the industry.

I can't see that it will be permanent - the weather isn't important enough to me, and England will always seem like home - but I think it's something that everyone should try, if the conditions are right.

I was referring to Scandinavia in general, rather than Sweden. Ask Kurt what he'd prefer for a weekend snack - herring or toddler?

As someone once said to me, you always regret more the things you never did, rather than the things you did. (Obviously excludes things done when drunk).

the language thing goes for the rest of scandinavia.

I've emigrated once, so has my wife, I'm Danish and she's Chinese, we both met and live in Ireland. I just lost my parents and got a great job opportunity to move here, so I thought that it was the right time. No family ties left in Denmark so that was the right time to move if there ever was going to be one.

Would I emigrate again, probably, the company I work for wants me to go to the US, where most of the SW development is being done, so will probably do this next year, when my wife has finished her studies.

I have also been offered, by the same company to move to China, since some of the SW development is being done there as well, but that is just too big a jump for me. I would be totally reliant on my wife on everything, except for work. The English spoken in China isn't that great, a lot of places it is non-existant. Besides this, you're not only going to learn a new spoken language, but also a new written alphabet, which is totally different to anything I've ever learned. Then you have the spoken language, which is also totally different, all vowels having 4 different tonations, which I can't get to grips with at all, so we abandoned that idea for now. California next summer it looks like for me...

Moved to NZ a year ago with the wife and kids and have never looked back.

Better climate (not too hot), fantastic scenery & beaches, friendly people, much more relaxed way of life, nicer houses

There are downsides (arse end of beyond, rugby obsession, terrible drivers) but far outweighed by the upsides.

Done it twice. Once to Sydney (went back to UK after 2 years) and then again to Auckland.

I'd take that list with a big pinch of salt tho, as it changes every year, although Vancouver, Vienna, Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland etc always come in quite high (nice to see Auckland slip from 6th to 19th in just 2 years - well deserved!).

Melbourne's a lovely place but not without its own bother, much like most other places. People move to Adelaide (Drabelaide!) and Melbourne and don't realise the winters are horrible; cold, wet and miserable. The summers in Melbourne can be crazy too, 45° one day, 25° the next. I was in Sydney just last week for my birthday and altho I love the place, quite frankly after 5 days I couldn't wait to get home. Perth is cool too, but new migrants often overlook just how fuckin far away from EVERYTHING it is. You'd best like it cos there's nowhere else for 2000 miles east and South Africa to the west.

Having said that, I wouldn't live in the UK again. Not for a big fuckin clock, mate.

BTW - back at me mum's for 2 weeks in June if anyone fancies a pint.

I fancy emigrating to Italy, or Scandanavia. Just have to qualify then I can learn a language and off I go. I really can't see me ending up living in the UK forever.

I would look into migrating to Italy, Norway or Sweden then. Denmark is MUCH harder to qualify to migrate to. Even me, as a Danish citizen, needs to get my wife qualified to get into Denmark. If we want to move back there, I need to deposit money in a bank account, which will stay there for 5 years, I need to show I can support her etc.

Italian as a language, is easier to learn, especially if you know any latin, and also because the alphabet doesn't contain any characters different from the English one, actually the Italian alphabet only contain 21 characters, but they do have the same number of characters as English, but the remaining, J, K, W, X, Y is very rarely used, but they do however exist, mainly to write sentences, which contain foreign words, i.e. www://example.com which wouldn't be possible just using the Italian alphabet, whereas all 3 Scandinavian alphabets contain characters not in the English alphabet. I guess RiS would be more qualified though on how it is to migrate to a Scandinavian country, especially how easy/difficult he found learning the language is.

If you do decide to migrate to Scandinavia, Denmark and Norway has a very similar written language, Swedish is a little different, but still near enough, same with the spoken language.

If you go outside Scandinavia and into the Nordic countries, then you need to note that the spoken and written language in Finland and Iceland is totally different to the language in Scandinavia. Finnish is mostly related to Hungarian, and slightly less to Estonian, while Icelandic is totally different again. Icelandic is very closely related to what the vikings spoke a thousand years ago, and it is the only language, where they have a language council, that enforce the language very strictly, i.e. they would create a word for computer, modem etc. whereas especially in the computer industry, a lot of the terms is still the english ones, even when spoken or written in any of the other Nordic languages. Same goes for Italian actually, especially computer terms is held in English.

That being said, all the Nordic languages has a very high rate of English speakers, actually it is very well spoken in all 5 countries, as well as written, so you can always revert to English, and you'll almost always be able to communicate with the locals.

This is not true in Italy, where a lot of people isn't very well versed in English, if at all, so this is also something to take into account.

I emmigrated to the States in '93. Had a desire to get out of Ireland and see America. Landed in New Jersey and the rest is history, 14 years later. I still think about moving home, but the longer I stay the more difficult it becomes to move back.

id fancy a move to Spain alright, the house prices here in Dublin are getting too much, im only 24, so in and around the time to start buying, but the average mortgage is about €1300 a month, i mean fucking hell, you wont have much of a life payign that back until your 60 will you :no

im a floor layer(ceramic tiles, vinyl floors etc...) but my bird has a good job in Guinness, she`d have to pensioned to leave the fucking thing,

wouldnt fancy Oz or America, heard Canada is fucking boring(no offence)

i think ill start spanish lessons this year, i really dont fancy giving all my wages to some mortgage company for the rest of my working life

I would look into migrating to Italy, Norway or Sweden then. Denmark is MUCH harder to qualify to migrate to. Even me, as a Danish citizen, needs to get my wife qualified to get into Denmark. If we want to move back there, I need to deposit money in a bank account, which will stay there for 5 years, I need to show I can support her etc.

Italian as a language, is easier to learn, especially if you know any latin, and also because the alphabet doesn't contain any characters different from the English one, actually the Italian alphabet only contain 21 characters, but they do have the same number of characters as English, but the remaining, J, K, W, X, Y is very rarely used, but they do however exist, mainly to write sentences, which contain foreign words, i.e. www://example.com which wouldn't be possible just using the Italian alphabet, whereas all 3 Scandinavian alphabets contain characters not in the English alphabet. I guess RiS would be more qualified though on how it is to migrate to a Scandinavian country, especially how easy/difficult he found learning the language is.

If you do decide to migrate to Scandinavia, Denmark and Norway has a very similar written language, Swedish is a little different, but still near enough, same with the spoken language.

If you go outside Scandinavia and into the Nordic countries, then you need to note that the spoken and written language in Finland and Iceland is totally different to the language in Scandinavia. Finnish is mostly related to Hungarian, and slightly less to Estonian, while Icelandic is totally different again. Icelandic is very closely related to what the vikings spoke a thousand years ago, and it is the only language, where they have a language council, that enforce the language very strictly, i.e. they would create a word for computer, modem etc. whereas especially in the computer industry, a lot of the terms is still the english ones, even when spoken or written in any of the other Nordic languages. Same goes for Italian actually, especially computer terms is held in English.

That being said, all the Nordic languages has a very high rate of English speakers, actually it is very well spoken in all 5 countries, as well as written, so you can always revert to English, and you'll almost always be able to communicate with the locals.

This is not true in Italy, where a lot of people isn't very well versed in English, if at all, so this is also something to take into account.

The language was a piece of piss to be honest, but I come from a family of linguists and have a foreign Mum. s far as the legal side, it is much easier if you are an EU citizen. We have now got permanent residence and they have asked if we want to become swedish citizens, but as it costs a bit more than 100 quid a pop and we are a family of five, i can think of better things to do with my money. You are right about the English.

I first came out here when I was 18 and i can assure you that the English are very popular. ;)

• 16 years later...