You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Chelsea 1 (Jan 31 2024)

matchreportheader.jpg

Another one to add to the “was that our best performance of the season?” discussion. I’ve heard a lot of people say it is, I’m not sure though. Was it better than the Newcastle game? In fact, are Chelsea better than Newcastle? Probably not, beating Chelsea now isn’t the accomplishment it once was, that’s for sure.

There’s a reason they’re 10th and we’re top. We’re miles better than them and it showed. We were at this one right from the start. You could tell after a couple of minutes it was probably going to be a comfortable win as long as we didn’t have to wait too long to make the breakthrough.

Klopp hadn’t changed the team as much as I thought he might. Trent and Robbo didn’t come back in, but Dom did. I was a little surprised but at the same time Bradley was man of the match last game and Gomez has been one of our best players all season. They deserved to stay in. They probably deserve to stay in at the weekend too, but sports science comes into that to some extent too.

Imagine if someone had sent a couple of months back that Trent and Robbo would be fit and available for selection but they couldn’t get in because Gomez was left back and Bradley was right back, both on merit. It’s mad really, but that’s the level they’ve played at. 

And Bradley upped that level and then some in this game. I don’t want to go overboard, but he might be the best player in the world right now. Ok, I’m joking, but the performance he put in against Chelsea was something really special. It was a performance that Trent would have been happy with, yet this is what, his third league start? Second maybe? Incredible performance from him. I’ll get to that though.

View full article

• Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic

Even streaming the game half way across the world you could tell how rocking Anfield was from the start. Really hope the boys keep coming out with that fire going forward.  Love what you wrote about not worrying about the future, just enjoying the moment and each game as it comes. That said, I could die a happy man come June if they won the league for the Gipper. COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

I've been saying (mostly to myself) from day 1 that the only relevant point about VAR is how it totally kills the joy of celebrating a goal. I just cannot comprehend how anyone who cares enough about football to have made it to the upper echelons of the FA, UEFA, FIFA, can't see that and thinks VAR adds anything to the game. 

• Upvote 5

No doubt Connor deserves your MOM, for me the MOM every game now is Gomes. Don't think he's put a foot wrong this season, the brain sleeps seem a thing of the past. Doubt Robbo gets back in anytime soon. The first goal is coming, Sunday would be nice.

Joe now plays with a smile on his face, didn't think I'd see that again.

• Upvote 5

“Or maybe he’s lulling us into a false sense of security for when Webb gives him the City game at Anfield.”

Was thinking this myself, although it’s more likely Taylor or Oliver will get the game?

Anyway, I hope we have a similar result against these at Wembley, we’re overdue giving them a good hiding in a final.

Agree with everything said, especially about Conor Bradley, but think we need to keep a bit back as he was taken to the cleaners by Harry Wilson when Fulham scored against us recently and I’m not sure I want to see him up against Martinelli just yet.

Great performance though and he had Mudryk in his pocket from pretty much when he came on apart from the chance that Mudryk put into row Z.

Onwards and upwards then, and as I keep saying, we win our games and we’re Champions.
Big ask? Yes.

Impossible? No.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Agree with everything said, especially about Conor Bradley, but think we need to keep a bit back as he was taken to the cleaners by Harry Wilson when Fulham scored against us recently and I’m not sure I want to see him up against Martinelli just yet.

He pretty much kept him quiet for those final 20 minutes in the FA cup game. I would have no qualms in starting him, personally. His confidence levels must be sky high. 

• Upvote 1

They said on TV ( McCoist stream ) pretty early on after Conor's goal that Jota's part in the tangle had been dismissed but the check went on for longer and there was no offside to check, so I can only guess it was whether Chilwell should be sent off for a 2nd yellow ?

17 minutes ago, sir roger said:

They said on TV ( McCoist stream ) pretty early on after Conor's goal that Jota's part in the tangle had been dismissed but the check went on for longer and there was no offside to check, so I can only guess it was whether Chilwell should be sent off for a 2nd yellow ?

They can't intervene for yellows, can they? Think it was just the usual busybody stuff trying to see if a goal can be disallowed.

• Upvote 1

Nkunku's right foot was tapped by Virgil, and the foot/ leg didn't move because the contact was minimal. The left leg, however, has the ability to take the next step but doesn't because he decides to launch himself into the air. Not a pen for me, Ally.

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

We would be proper fuming and sticking pins in various PGMOL effigies if we hadn't got either of their penalty decisions.

We are more than a bit one-eyed on here ( including myself ) about referees.

Nah, I think we'd have been embarrassed if we'd got a pen for the Gallagher one. The Nkunku one, on the other hand, was clear cut. It's really suspicious the way Tierney is suddenly not taking an opportunity to shaft us, something's amiss! Chelsea were looking to hit the deck at the first opportunity all night.

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

Nah, I think we'd have been embarrassed if we'd got a pen for the Gallagher one. The Nkunku one, on the other hand, was clear cut. It's really suspicious the way Tierney is suddenly not taking an opportunity to shaft us, something's amiss! Chelsea were looking to hit the deck at the first opportunity all night.

It's clear cut on the replay, I'm not sure it's clear cut for Tierney in real time, especially given the dramatic fall from Nkunku and how Chelsea players had been diving all night.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UnwelcomeinPeru said:

On a more dispiriting note, it was depressing to hear the tannoy announcer issuing a warning about tragedy chanting. 

He also mentioned homophobic chanting. I didn't hear either, I assumed it was just a warning to ensure it didn't happen?

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

They could only get involved if it would have been a straight red, which it defo wasn't. I don't thinkt he broadcasters knew what was going on, because I watched highlights when I got home and heard someone say that Jota's goal stood because John Brooks said that the ball hit the arm of the defender as well as Jota, so it cancelled eachother out.

It didn't hit either of them on the arm, and if it did hit both the goal wouldn't have stood.

Nice one Dave. Couple of thoughts:

1. VAR has to become a captain’s/manager’s review system like in cricket. Use the new automated Hawkeye for offside and the ball going out of play, retain the goal line technology and fuck everything else off. One review per half that you keep if you’re right. 

2. Macca has been a revelation in the last couple of matches he’s played. The compactness of the team helps him on the defensive side where he looks transformed but the one touch, first time passing he’s doing is off the fucking charts. 

3. I totally disagree with you on Chelsea. I think they’ve mostly bought absolute shite. Boehly has completely fucked them. 

4. Conor Bradley is unbelievable. It was genuinely thrilling to watch him on Wednesday night. What an absolutely prodigious talent he is. 

5. We’ll beat Arsenal on Sunday: 3-1. Núñez hat trick…

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic