You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (H) - Mon 1st Jan 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, gkmacca said:

This is the problem with slo-mo replays. People project whole chunks of thought and motive into them. They run through a range of options, imagine different decisions, then make a conclusion, entirely divorced from how things work in real time and real life. In real time he moved past the keeper and had the chance to score, and the only instinctive thing to do in that nano second was hit the ball. I don't care how 'slight' the touch seems when frozen in a replay. 

I’m of the opinion that he chose “penalty and red card for the keeper; 3 points guaranteed” in the split second it took him to go down.

He’s that kind of player.

Do I like it? No. 

But did I actually like it? I absolutely LOVED it, yes!

• Upvote 3

Xg over a period of time is a useful tool. I'll use King Kenny as an example, he was sacked after a really shit season but we hit the post 4 million times. He could clearly argue that freak outcomes where unlikely to be repeated and if the Xg normalised we would see huge improvement. I reckon Kenny is old school and told Henry to shove his Xg up his hole.

• Upvote 1

Just now, No2 said:

Xg over a period of time is a useful tool. I'll use King Kenny as an example, he was sacked after a really shit season but we hit the post 4 million times. He could clearly argue that freak outcomes where unlikely to be repeated and if the Xg normalised we would see huge improvement. I reckon Kenny is old school and told Henry to shove his Xg up his hole.

People would lose their shit at Ian Graham's explanation of why he wanted Klopp despite Dortmund's season.

Charlatan didn't even watch a game. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think it's an 'x' in the mathematical or algebraic sense. Should be lower case.

Nah, just short for “expected” isn’t it?

I don’t mind it as a stat really, just puts a vague number to “had a lot of chances”.

31 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

People who like stats like xG and fucking heat maps, usually hang around playgrounds and wank in bushes.

How dare you!?

I’ll have you know that I absolutely hate xG and fucking heat maps.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

It's just putting a value to a statement, it's fine, it won't hurt you.

It's funny watching the 'old school' football types like Alan Brazil and Jeff Stelling rail against things like XG but then say 'he should have scored that' when someone misses a chance they deem scoreable because it's exactly the same thing.

Pay your subs. You’re on here too much to not think you should pay subs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mike23 said:

Surprised so many on here don't think the 2nd one was a penalty or even that it was soft. It's a slight touch by the keeper but it definitely knocks Jota off balance. He tries to stay on his feet so that's why there's a delayed reaction. If the keeper doesn't touch him then he doesn't lose his balance and has the easiest of tap ins. 

It was a penalty all day it was just the theatrical way he fell. We arnt the best at simulation. 

Doesn’t take away the fact he was clipped, that both were clipped by clumsy challenges though. Keeper even said so.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gkmacca said:

This is the problem with slo-mo replays. People project whole chunks of thought and motive into them. They run through a range of options, imagine different decisions, then make a conclusion, entirely divorced from how things work in real time and real life. In real time he moved past the keeper and had the chance to score, and the only instinctive thing to do in that nano second was hit the ball. I don't care how 'slight' the touch seems when frozen in a replay. 

I think the nanosecond thought was “oh shit, that’s run away from me”.

The fall looked worse in real time mate - the replay just enforces it

• Upvote 1

Same as my take on it;

Obviously always liked Craig Burley and will never say a word against him.

I also totally agree with Nicol, in relation to Howe making the narrative about Liverpool penalties, which the usual pricks have happily jumped on. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Curly said:

If the Jota pen is given against us then we would be generally of a different mindset and be calling the opponent out for diving.

It wasn’t enough for him to go down - he stayed on his feet and chose to fall once the ball was overrun and the 2 covering defenders reached the goal line. 

The whole “he was in his right to go

down” narrative the commentators push these days, shearer being a main one of them, is an embarrassing look for them now slamming Jota, but they all talk fucking shite, so couldn’t care less.

Never understood this aspect of football since I was over the age of about 20. I get it’s tribal and you back your team, but football fans are bizarre how they can defend their own player and slam others for the same things. Most of the players would just as easily be at a rival of ours and just because they deem our club to be a fitting place to ply their trade we have to bend our thoughts and beliefs in a blinkered manner to defend them about stuff we criticise players at other clubs who could also as easily be at us.

He chose to go down and could have stayed up. There was contact - not enough to send him tumbling, but contact, and in this day and age that’s enough now, which in itself is shite anyway. To argue that is as bizarre as shearer et al saying they have the right to go down one week, and then criticising someone for it the next.

I think you are being harsh on Jota. Last night I didn't think there was much if any contact watching in the ground, but I have seen it on SSN this morning. The keeper gets Jota twice, first with his hand on the right foot/ankle and then secondly (which was the bigger contact imo and caused him to go down) with the arm/elbow and jotas shin and knee, the image below from @lifetime fan shows that contact. You see after that contact Jota gets his right foot down ok, but as his left leg comes through i's all over the place and as his foot hits the ground it's not got the stability to take his weight with the level of momentum he's got. Absolutely anyone who has played football must have been caught slightly at full speed and knows just how a little contact can take you out. i think that is exactly what happened there. their keeper pretty much says as much after the game. so this is not a partisan point of view, the keeper concedes he gets him. 

8 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Neville can fuck off the irritating cunt. 

IMG_6190.png

2 hours ago, No2 said:

sadly, kenny was sacked because we didn't hit top 4 and his response to that was he needed to spend money, which FSG didn't want to do. which is why they fired him, hired the other idiot and fucked him over in the window that followed and needed to release an apology. i don't think xG or anything else came into it.