You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Romeo Lavia - another bullet dodged. Code thinks he's bang average too

El Rojo

38 minutes ago, Baltar said:

What a total clusterfuck this window has been. FSG got what they wanted - saving money on a midfielder they didn't really want. I called it last season - FSG will not reinforce the midfield because they know Trent can fill in there so they've gladly saved some money. Compare that with our rivals who can't stop spending.

Seriously, fuck off now FSG and sell us to someone who wants us to actually compete.

Am I the only one who thinks Trent is a bit shit in midfield? 

4 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

They've just been fined for breaching FFP. Most likely their plan is just break the rules and pay the fines. Edit: That might have been by UEFA and as they're not in Europe I don't suppose they're bothered.

It was and they don't have to be bothered as that case has been settled. Also UEFA did not pursue that until Chelsea brought it to their attention. If they qualify for Europe next year they will definitely be playing - it will take another 5 years for any additional charges to be mustered.

The PL will never do one of their member teams for FFP imo.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

The original response was to loads of teams getting done for FFP. I guess we will see in another 4 or 5 years time.

Agree on the bold part.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/protecting-the-game/club-financial-controlling-body/cases/

There's loads here. Many are minor. Juventus are currently banned from Europe for ffp breaches. Man united fined 300k just recently. 

People perceive there's no ffp because city got off. But that was caused by uefa's mental time barring of offences. They were still punished, if only fines, on top of  that. 

Is it effective as it should be? Well no, because some of these cheats are fraudulent cheats, so it's hard to measure, because we don't know the truth. I would be surprised though if Chelsea went down the fraudulent path, because clearlake have far too much to lose. Instead, they'll do as most finance people do and try to work out ways to navigate the regulations to their benefit, like they did with the long contracts till uefa (but sadly not the PL) shut that door. Now they'll be working on another cheat. It's no different to how companies the world over beat the tax man. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/protecting-the-game/club-financial-controlling-body/cases/

There's loads here. Many are minor. Juventus are currently banned from Europe for ffp breaches. Man united fined 300k just recently. 

United pay that in a week to guys who sit on their bench. As I said in response to the "luxury" tax post - Chelsea will welcome a fine - especially as it won't be for a couple of years and it amounts to a traffic ticket.

It's a media driven narrative that Trent has completely swallowed. He'd be decent enough as a cm but he was a generational position defining full back, and he's pissing on his own chips by seeming to not want to play the role

• Upvote 2

I don't blame Trent for not wanting to play his previous role when he has no protection.  He came into the team, not necessarily as a RB and certainly with his future position likely to be CM, and had a hard working working midfield that allowed him to be creative and fulfill his personal ambitions from RB. That all changed as the midfield has decayed before his eyes.

I don't like how he appears to have been handling it but I understand why he might not have been enjoying his football and not fulfilling his job as well as before.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

United pay that in a week to guys who sit on their bench. As I said in response to the "luxury" tax post - Chelsea will welcome a fine - especially as it won't be for a couple of years and it amounts to a traffic ticket.

But they were minor offences, not big breaches. Uefa won't give Chelsea a pass. In fact by all accounts there is a greater enthusiasm to use the new P&S rules they've introduced this season as they believe they are more more simple to enforce. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But they were minor offences, not big breaches. Uefa won't give Chelsea a pass. In fact by all accounts there is a greater enthusiasm to use the new P&S rules they've introduced this season as they believe they are more more simple to enforce. 

Maybe, as I said we will find out in a few years. They certainly have a pass til then.

1 hour ago, etho said:

It's a media driven narrative that Trent has completely swallowed. He'd be decent enough as a cm but he was a generational position defining full back, and he's pissing on his own chips by seeming to not want to play the role

So you’re saying he’s capable of defending, but can’t be arsed?

9 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

The lad obviously lacks ambition. He will be  behind Caicedo and Fernandez there whereas there was almost a guaranteed spot at Anfield.

Fernandez is supposedly going to be playing an advanced role this season and when here before pochetinno loved a double pivot. I could see the 3 of them being their midfield. 

2 hours ago, Baltar said:

I think he's fine when he's switching between full back and into midfield but wouldn't be keen on him being a full time midfielder.

The right back/midfield hybrid position has been a car crash waiting to happen.  Personally I think it’s difficult to judge how good/bad he would be in midfield because this hybrid thing is not the same as him playing there exclusively.  It was absolutely shit yesterday because Chelsea did what I expect every single side to do.  Just put a couple of players in the middle of the pitch from a restart and you can’t get Trent the ball.  They don’t need to be worried about the ball going wide right because nobody is there.  We then try to pass it out and give it away or have to twat it long.  We then just did that over and over again for about 80 minutes.

When Trent does get the ball in the middle he then doesn’t have a right back option as a pass.  It ends up meaning he’s playing tight straight passes in the middle of the pitch or dawdling on the ball because of the lack of options.

It’s mind numbingly stupid tactics that for some stupid reason we are just sticking with.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen us struggle to keep the ball in game so badly.  None of the angles or options are there.

We are getting the worst of both worlds.  His lazy can’t be arsed attitude to defensive situations because he’s still “defending” from right back alongside no creativity because we can’t him on the ball when we have it.  The long term problem for me now is that we’ve signed midfielders that are better tried and tested 8’s that should play ahead of him.  If you put Gomez right back (which I would 100% do) or sign a new RB then the only midfield position I think he suits is playing alongside a ball winner (we are hopefully going to sign) in a 4231.  That means you’re then picking between 1 of Szobo and Mac.  It’s a fucking mess.

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fernandez is supposedly going to be playing an advanced role this season and when here before pochetinno loved a double pivot. I could see the 3 of them being their midfield. 

If they do that who will create/score goals for them ? I could see them struggling.

8 hours ago, CapeRed said:

If they do that who will create/score goals for them ? I could see them struggling.

That's not my problem! I imagine he'll do what he did at spurs. Bore the shit out of everyone with sideways passes, till someone gets bored and lumps it into the box. Or rely on counter attack. 

Although to be fair, Fernandez played in those advance spaces sunday and ran the last hour. 

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's not my problem! I imagine he'll do what he did at spurs. Bore the shit out of everyone with sideways passes, till someone gets bored and lumps it into the box. Or rely on counter attack. 

Although to be fair, Fernandez played in those advance spaces sunday and ran the last hour. 

It’s fuckin laughable, apparently they are in for Olise now . Chelsea doing more damage to the transfer market than those Saudi clubs.

• dave u changed the title to Romeo Lavia - another bullet dodged. Code thinks he's bang average too