You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dominik Szoboszlai - Welcome to Liverpool

Megadrive Man

8 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

For all the cryarsing about our perceived inactivity in the transfer window, we made this fella ours with very little fuss. What a signing. 

Two words - relsease clause. When release clauses weren't involved we got into a complete mess. 

Don't want to bring anyone down but don't want to re-write history either. 

7 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Two words - relsease clause. When release clauses weren't involved we got into a complete mess. 

Don't want to bring anyone down but don't want to re-write history either. 

True, but he had the same release clause for clubs with vastly bigger budgets than us. Maybe  Schmadtke was useful in terms of the quick turnaround.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

True, but he had the same release clause for clubs with vastly bigger budgets than us. Maybe  Schmadtke was useful in terms of the quick turnaround.  

newcastle were in for him all summer, but didn't want to pay the release clause. we on the other hand i think were still holding on in the hope that ffp would stop mason mount joining man united. when it was clear mount was going to the mancs and Dom's clause was running out, we activated. personally i assume to some extent this is one for the scouts and data people again. our identification of players is pretty good, regardless of who's in charge on that side. what we lack is enough negotiating skills or fiscal flexibility to find the right player without a release clause and a willing seller. about the closest we got to "prizing" someone out of a club was Endo. The rest was 2 release clauses and a fella Munich didn't want. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

newcastle were in for him all summer, but didn't want to pay the release clause. we on the other hand i think were still holding on in the hope that ffp would stop mason mount joining man united. when it was clear mount was going to the mancs and Dom's clause was running out, we activated. personally i assume to some extent this is one for the scouts and data people again. our identification of players is pretty good, regardless of who's in charge on that side. what we lack is enough negotiating skills or fiscal flexibility to find the right player without a release clause and a willing seller. about the closest we got to "prizing" someone out of a club was Endo. The rest was 2 release clauses and a fella Munich didn't want. 

If it was this fella or Mason Mount, how fortunate have we been? Real sliding doors moment. 

21 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

indeed but we've had a few of those over the years. neither man or salah were 1st choices. but i guess there's nothing to say mount wouldn't have been brilliant for us too. 

Having seen Mount play multiple times, I can't imagine him offering anything close to what Szoboszlai has offered so far.

• Upvote 1

Only turns 23 next month... You can see why he's already been captaining his country, he seems a pretty mature player. How he's just come in straight away, played in different positions at different times, and looked very good pretty much all the time - it's impressive. And on top of that, he's good technically and tactically and seems to have massive stamina, plus is versatile. Happy days 

4 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Having seen Mount play multiple times, I can't imagine him offering anything close to what Szoboszlai has offered so far.

It’s very much about getting the player to work as part of the team, and getting the team to work overall. With that comes confidence as well, and the player will look class.

A few seasons ago when we were pushing 100 points in the league plenty on here were saying half our team were the best player in the world in their position. Fast forwards a couple of seasons, the team doesnt work and the many of the same players are labelled utter shite. Probably by many of the same people.

On 25/09/2023 at 14:35, El Rojo said:

For all the cryarsing about our perceived inactivity in the transfer window, we made this fella ours with very little fuss. What a signing. 

Same with Fabinho, bang done. A huge part in our CL and title win the next two seasons. 

On 26/09/2023 at 04:32, aws said:

We should just draw up a list for each position and go straight in for the second choice. 

I'd love to see this as a list.  It seems to be the case that it has happened a few times under/just before Klopp, but if anyone can continue the list below, I'd be grateful!

First choice                                                  Second choice

Mason Mount                                            Dominik Szoboszlai

?                                                                 Sadio Mane

12 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Yeah, but did you see loads of Dom before he played for us? You only know mount without the power of klopp behind him. 

11 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

I dunno, Mounts ability speaks for itself.

I think that can be true of loads of players, except we rarely see a dud under klopp, which suggests he sees things in footballers very few of us do. And then when they sign for us, klopp is able to extract that talent from them. I wasn't fussed on getting mount this summer, but I've no doubt klopp would have transformed him. 

1 hour ago, razor said:

I'd love to see this as a list.  It seems to be the case that it has happened a few times under/just before Klopp, but if anyone can continue the list below, I'd be grateful!

Mason Mount                                            Dominik Szoboszlai

?                                                                 Sadio Mane

I think it was mario gotze. We lost the uefa cup final and he wouldn't join us because we didn't have champions league football and got mane instead. 

There was also someone from the German league klopp wanted when we signed Salah (can't remember who now) and Edwards and the scouting guys had to convince klopp that Salah was the best option..

As I post above though, I'm sure the difference maker here is klopp himself. He just has an instinct for getting the very best out of footballers. It's sometimes a weakness because he sees the best in them, even when they're done like keita and Chamberlain, he just sees that talent and thinks he can extract it (and look at chamberlains contribution during the last afcon). And pretty much always, injuries aside, he's done that with everyone we've signed under him. Even the likes of Shaq and minamino had massive moments for us that helped contribute to us winning silverware. 

28 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, but did you see loads of Dom before he played for us? You only know mount without the power of klopp behind him. 

I think that can be true of loads of players, except we rarely see a dud under klopp, which suggests he sees things in footballers very few of us do. And then when they sign for us, klopp is able to extract that talent from them. I wasn't fussed on getting mount this summer, but I've no doubt klopp would have transformed him. 

I think it was mario gotze. We lost the uefa cup final and he wouldn't join us because we didn't have champions league football and got mane instead. 

There was also someone from the German league klopp wanted when we signed Salah (can't remember who now) and Edwards and the scouting guys had to convince klopp that Salah was the best option..

As I post above though, I'm sure the difference maker here is klopp himself. He just has an instinct for getting the very best out of footballers. It's sometimes a weakness because he sees the best in them, even when they're done like keita and Chamberlain, he just sees that talent and thinks he can extract it (and look at chamberlains contribution during the last afcon). And pretty much always, injuries aside, he's done that with everyone we've signed under him. Even the likes of Shaq and minamino had massive moments for us that helped contribute to us winning silverware. 

Good post and correct on Gotze I reckon Barry.

Julian Brandt is who Klopp suggested ahead of Salah.

8 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Good post and correct on Gotze I reckon Barry.

Julian Brandt is who Klopp suggested ahead of Salah.

That's the fella. That worked out ok.

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Pretty sure Mount would never be as good as Dom though. 

Yeah, but would mount under klopp be better than Dom say under Sgt Major Seven Hag? So you're probably right, if klopp manages both players, Dom would be the best. But that's not the case. 

5 hours ago, razor said:

Mason Mount                                             Dominik Szoboszlai

Mario Gotze                                                Sadio Mane

Julian Brandt                                               Mo Salah

Ta.  Keep 'em coming!