You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

8 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

You're missing the point about fekir. It worked out fine I agree. The point is the propaganda bullshit the club put out at the time in response to coutinho going in the previous window and how we'd spend 200m or whatever it was. We didn't get near it, because it's always bullshit. It's repeated behaviour we've seen time and time again. This summer is just the latest. 

I can’t remember what the promises were in 2018, all I know is what I’ve already said and it worked out pretty well and I’m somewhat dismissive of what I view to be inconsequential stuff because the bottom line is we have been doing it on the pitch. 

I disagree about last season to be honest. While we had great season, even that 2nd half of the season, we'd lost control of many games in midfield and pure fight was getting us through. This conceding the early goal thing started in that run, we were just fighting back.  I don't believe this idea just have faith in players because they were once good. It's not Sunday league. It's elite level professional sport. The idea is to identify when functions in the team are failing and do something about it early, fix minor issue before they become major problems. Build your team from a position of strength. We didn't, because we didn't want to spend..to avoid spending, we gave the jam tomorrow story. We're paying that penalty right now, because we need to rebuild from a position of weakness. 

I don’t agree we lost control of games in the second half of last season. 

There were games we were under significant pressure (City away, 70 mins of Inter away, Benfica home, Villarreal away, the 2 Chelsea games were on a knife edge through) but we’re not going to control 100% of every match. 

I thought we were much improved in the second half of the season and results would show that.

Nobody is denying we should have bought a midfield last summer. I know you are dismissive of Lijnders comment of “first choice or nothing” but it’s been echoed in all articles and by ex-players. I don’t think that stance / policy from the club can be denied. Where is came from is obviously debatable and it was clearly the wrong move from the first game of the season. 

I know your dismissive of our attempts to buy Tchouameni as well, again, this has been referenced in all articles and by ex-players. I know we can never be 100% with journalists, I’m of the opinion we tried our best to sign him (allegedly Klopp spoke to him). He chose Madrid, we should have had a back up option that wasn’t Bellingham. Nobody is denying that. 

However, I can also appreciate (although I won’t fully agree) that of the 35 games in 2023, winning 28 games, drawing 5 (2 of which didn’t matter) and losing 2 (1 of which didn’t matter) showed there was still significant life in our players yet. 

You talk about the Virgil and alisson signings. I've said loads of times they've no issue spending when other people give them the money to do so. The trouble this time it was clear we didn't have any family silver left to sell to fund a new deal for Bellingham. Alisson and vvd were funded by coutinho, Bellingham was coming from where? 

I just seems incredible to believe there's nothing to spend. They've avoided doing it for so many years, it seems impossible to avoid now. This season has been ruined because we were supposedly waiting for this generational talent. And now they've said after telling us they only want the right player for the last I don't know how many years, they're not arsed about that any more and are going to take a markovic summer approach. It's all fucking madness and just illustrates an approach that they think it doesn't matter what shit they sling, klopp will work it out. Like he did in the covid year, like he still might this year. We can't expect to keep banging the "we're all in it together" drum when it seems only the staff and the fans are part of that deal. At some point they have to play their part and step the fuck up.

Nobody is saying there is no money there. 

As I’ve said the drop off in the players form this season is somewhat unexplainable. 

A drop off to be in Newcastle or Man Utd’s position (ie a distant 3rd or 4th) would suggest we need 2 or 3 to be back in the hunt. 

I know a sprint finish and we might get over line, we’ve been so far away from our old selves it’s like watching a different side. 

The drop off means 2 or 3 likely won’t be good enough. In reality we need 4 or 5. Gravenberch and Mac Allister are a decent start but they aren’t enough.

If the amount set aside for transfers is still the same amount, I have zero issue with us moving on from the 3rd most expensive player of all time. 

I’ve said what I’ve heard on Bellingham. That is hand on heart from somebody within the first team set up. I’m not claiming to be some ITK so I’m not going to be repeating it over and over. I know I’ve heard it second hand, lads I’ve met from the forum would vouch that I wouldn’t yank anybody’s chain and those who know me (and my mate) know where it’s come from. Might be wrong, might be bollocks. We’ll see. 

11 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

That Germany manager that used put his hands down his jeans and sniff his hands has finally washed them

Or progressed to putting them down other peoples.

That or Mane's trying to force a move back to Liverpool.

slap-slapping.gif

45 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If it’s Bellingham to City, I will cry tears of blood. 

I wouldn't waste your tears or blood, Scott.

The lad is arguably the most overrated player in the history of Football. I couldn't care less if he goes to City tbh.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Mook said:

I wouldn't waste your tears or blood, Scott.

The lad is arguably the most overrated player in the history of Football. I couldn't care less if he goes to City tbh.

If he goes to Madrid, then fine,

If he stays at Dortmund, then fine.

I just don’t want him going to City. Although it looks like Gündoğan is leaving, Bernardo Silva is constantly talking about Barca and De Bruyne is 32 in June. 

21 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Who cares if someone buys a 6th Ferrari.

They might be losing a couple of those though.

I assume Fjortoft is at the game tonight. Be upsetting if somebody from City has confirmed it to him. 

Maybe Jude wants the money after all should this city rumour be true, this is contrary to his previous words. Anyhow, I don’t care. Not arsed if he signs here to be honest. If he does all well and good but no need to lose sleep or waste time on it.