You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool enter talks with Saudi Arabian and Qatari consortiums over a potential £3BILLION takeover

Paulie Dangerously

2 hours ago, navbasi said:

Jurgen Klopp since October 2015:

51 Players Bought: £661,250,000

49 Players Sold: £478,200,000

Net Spend: £183,050,000

Arsenal owner, Kronke, loaded a commercial £150m loan onto the club to enable arteta to spend on the squad 12 months ago.

Some people would be losing their shit on here if FSG put a similar commercial loan on the club to buy.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Arsenal owner, Kronke, loaded a commercial £150m loan onto the club to enable arteta to spend on the squad 12 months ago.

Some people would be losing their shit on here if FSG put a similar commercial loan on the club to buy.

Technically they used it to pay off the covid corporate financing facility loan they took up with the treasury/gov/BofE but the result was the same, you just weren't allowed to use it for things like transfers as it was supposed to be used to pay staff etc but by loaning on top and paying it off it was different money.

Like Man Utd they've emptied what was one of the largest cash reserves in Europe when Wenger left and it's now down to very little and run up massive debts in the process.

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I think most top clubs (that aren't state owned) look to spend big in cycles now. Young players, longer contracts, amortisation and all that. Maybe I'm naive, but I could buy that we were / are looking to do so in the summer.

Yep, Arsenal are now coming into the mid-portion of that cycle where they have to start paying the likes of Saka and Martinelli, they're 12-18 months away from second deals for the likes of White, Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, Partey.

Our amortised cost on the accounts has been coming down as new deals are agreed and remaining amounts are re-amortised over the length of new deals which is as important for creating space.

31 minutes ago, navbasi said:

"Yet given the Qataris are set to continue with a majority stake in PSG it would cause complications if they were to also acquire a Premier League club who compete in the same European club competitions. Under UEFA regulations, if two clubs majority-owned by the same entity qualify for competitions such as the Champions League, only one of the teams is allowed to enter...."

Well, they can’t have two controlling interests. I assume that’s why they had been talk of a minority sale.

It also suggests shell companies could come from QIA to subvert this (something I’ve previously mentioned).

I don’t know if I’m reading too much into this, I think the language in this article is quite specific - this seems to specifically relate to QSI / QIA. The @Qatari bloke hasn’t made reference to QSI / QIA, just Qatar. Although the Daily Mail article did say officials representing QIA.

There is the talk of this joint Saudi / Qatar bid, I’d be surprised if QIA and PIF would join forces with a 

Unfortunately, there is likely to be weeks and weeks of this shit yet. I’d love it to be over by the end of Q1. 

Don't think it has to be a controlling share, there were issues when Chelsea were set to play Schalke years back because of investment in Gazprom which was majority owned by Russian Gov but Abramovich had a share holding as well.

Bit harsh on Spurs though if they think they'll never get into europe so it won't be an issue. 

48 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Don't think it has to be a controlling share, there were issues when Chelsea were set to play Schalke years back because of investment in Gazprom which was majority owned by Russian Gov but Abramovich had a share holding as well.

Bit harsh on Spurs though if they think they'll never get into europe so it won't be an issue. 

Do you know what the percentage someone like PSG's owners could invest in another club and still be within both the PL and UEFA's limits? Ive read the Qatari's were talking of a 25% stake but that seems massive to me especially when you think back to the Football League days before the PL, I think the limit was 5%. John Moores was limited to that because he had a controlling stake in the shite. Kind of makes Cundy and his chelsea cohorts that the Moores family made Liverpool the richest club during the 70's a load of bullshit.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Well, they can’t have two controlling interests. I assume that’s why they had been talk of a minority sale.

It also suggests shell companies could come from QIA to subvert this (something I’ve previously mentioned).

I don’t know if I’m reading too much into this, I think the language in this article is quite specific - this seems to specifically relate to QSI / QIA. The @Qatari bloke hasn’t made reference to QSI / QIA, just Qatar. Although the Daily Mail article did say officials representing QIA.

There is the talk of this joint Saudi / Qatar bid, I’d be surprised if QIA and PIF would join forces with a 

Unfortunately, there is likely to be weeks and weeks of this shit yet. I’d love it to be over by the end of Q1

2025 more like

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

how do red bull get around this? don't they own 90%+ of both RB Leipzig and Salzburg? 

I feel sure if red bull can find a legal loophole around this, QIA will have no issues. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

how do red bull get around this? don't they own 90%+ of both RB Leipzig and Salzburg? 

I feel sure if red bull can find a legal loophole around this, QIA will have no issues. 

People had to resign from roles in one or the other club to ensure "no individual or legal entity had a decisive influence over more than one club", of course there are ways around it but it gets harder the more governing bodies look into it and the more experience they have adjudicating over situations like this.

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

People had to resign from roles in one or the other club to ensure "no individual or legal entity had a decisive influence over more than one club", of course there are ways around it but it gets harder the more governing bodies look into it and the more experience they have adjudicating over situations like this.

a couple of people resigning though seems pretty unlikely to alter the ownership path and control. and aren't they both part of a sporting group which includes about half a dozen football teams with shared resources like they have at City? 

It just seems clear to me if Red Bull can work out how to get around this issue, it won't take too many lawyers of a state propaganda machine to ensure it is no issue for QIA. 

I'm not saying this is right by the way. I just think with the enormous wealth of the ownership of some of our football clubs now, it seems unlikely UEFA or any other governing body could out lawyer these entities to ensure fairness and that the rules are obeyed. 

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Technically they used it to pay off the covid corporate financing facility loan they took up with the treasury/gov/BofE but the result was the same, you just weren't allowed to use it for things like transfers as it was supposed to be used to pay staff etc but by loaning on top and paying it off it was different money.

Like Man Utd they've emptied what was one of the largest cash reserves in Europe when Wenger left and it's now down to very little and run up massive debts in the process.

Spurs did exactly the same allowing Conte to spend.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Do you know what the percentage someone like PSG's owners could invest in another club and still be within both the PL and UEFA's limits? Ive read the Qatari's were talking of a 25% stake but that seems massive to me especially when you think back to the Football League days before the PL, I think the limit was 5%. John Moores was limited to that because he had a controlling stake in the shite. Kind of makes Cundy and his chelsea cohorts that the Moores family made Liverpool the richest club during the 70's a load of bullshit.

No idea but this is from the article on the The Athletic this morning..

In the first week of January, Al-Khelaifi met in London with the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy for exploratory conversations, as first reported by CBS. On the agenda was a possible minority investment into Tottenham by Qatar, with percentages of up to 15 per cent initially on the table. This would not give QSI a two-thirds stake, nor would Al-Khelaifi become a director, which would mean no conflict with UEFA regulations.

3 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

2025 more like

Youve jinxed it no, Grizz says announcements soon, so it’s definitely not happening.

0D5C971F-3F76-4C7F-87BB-6A13CC1B959F.jpeg

I don’t follow him, but like IK, look at their tweets for a giggle. This jabroni has Media Personality in his bio. What a fucking tit.

19 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Youve jinxed it no, Grizz says announcements soon, so it’s definitely not happening.

I don’t follow him, but like IK, look at their tweets for a giggle. This jabroni has Media Personality in his bio. What a fucking tit.

I didn’t read that as him saying there’s an announcement soon. Just that because of the amount of rumours and uncertainty around the club at the moment the owners should really put out a statement to try and settle it all down.

6 minutes ago, Simbo said:

I didn’t read that as him saying there’s an announcement soon. Just that because of the amount of rumours and uncertainty around the club at the moment the owners should really put out a statement to try and settle it all down.

Which like most things he says, likely won’t happen.

56 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

All the twitter 'ITK's' have spent months stoking up take over rumours and getting supporters riled with tweets consisting of hour glasses and eye emoji's or retweets from blag accounts in Arabic and are now saying the club needs to put an end to the speculation they have had no part in generating because it's harming the club.

They've got no fucking shame.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

All the twitter 'ITK's' have spent months stoking up take over rumours and getting supporters riled with tweets consisting of hour glasses and eye emoji's or retweets from blag accounts in Arabic and are now saying the club needs to put an end to the speculation they have had no part in generating because it's harming the club.

I have to admit, that was my thought on it as well. 

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

100% this.

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

This jabroni has Media Personality in his bio. What a fucking tit.

DVrm1w8W4AA2rNR?format=jpg&name=medium

“You got a problem with me, Scott? You got a problem with Grizz? You come and see me, bro. You come and repeat your bullshit to my face. I’ll make you cry like a little girl who’s had her My Little Pony taken off her.  You like My Little Pony, Scott? You got yourself a little pony collection, Scott? You come and face the music, Scott, and I’ll show you Khanage.“

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

DVrm1w8W4AA2rNR?format=jpg&name=medium

“You got a problem with me, Scott? You got a problem with Grizz? You come and see me, bro. You come and repeat your bullshit to my face. I’ll make you cry like a little girl who’s had her My Little Pony taken off her.  You like My Little Pony, Scott? You got yourself a little pony collection, Scott? You come and face the music, Scott, and I’ll show you Khanage.“

Gonna set his “Redfella’s” on me…

1BEC5CB8-ED34-4E27-B9E8-203E61081A8A.jpeg

• Haha 1