You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool enter talks with Saudi Arabian and Qatari consortiums over a potential £3BILLION takeover

Paulie Dangerously

18 minutes ago, niallers said:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/02/liverpool-takeover-pledge-was-an-empty-promise-with-fsgs-true-intentions-now-clear/

Interesting that the owners used short term debt for infrastructure instead of long. Cunts

Yeah, I saw that. This goes back to the questions I was wondering about the ARE / Kirkby questions after that patronising, bullshit, Athletic article last week.

An alternative view is it’ll be paid off quicker & I assume it’d be more attractive for someone to invest / buy.

48 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Been trying to think about this logically today - do we really need a some Middle Eastern brigade to keep us competitive with the sides at the top of the league?

I was thinking that some other American company buys in at, for example 20%. 

At a valuation of £3bn, that’s £600m.

Continue to qualify for the CL (or re-qualify as it might be), a CL Reform (ie we can have our on sponsors for the games), more sponsors, new TV deals (streaming?) etc etc, whatever additional value could be added to the club and say in 5 years it’s worth £5bn and that £600m is now worth £1bn. 

Given FSG have grown revenues etc since 2010, they clearly can be viewed as having a track record in asset growth. 

Unfortunately, given the current climate at home Chelsea are spunking money everywhere, would a figure such as £600m be enough long term?

Again, hypothetical, if we were to sign Bellingham, Caicedo and Nunes in the summer, that’s likely c.£250m of that £600m gone. 

Throw in long term VVD replacement or a long term Salah replacement and it’s lasting very long at all. 

You’d hope we wouldn’t need that sort of outlay every summer, it still doesn’t feel the money would go that far. It might last us 5 years. 

And what do we then do after 5 years?

Do we look for another round of investment or completely sell? I’d assume the longer we wait, the few billionaires there would be to purchase us. 

Given the current football landscape with on transfers, earning qualifications, current TV & sponsorship packages etc, it feels we’d never be able to reach the c.£8bn valuation of Dallas Cowboys or something. 

Think most PL clubs who want to be at the top are facing this issue now. Chelsea,Arsenal and Man U have twisted whilst we've stuck. Think even Man City, who have dropped off, though not as much as us, are pondering what to do next ,as they need a re-build as well, and will certainly have to adhere to FFP, however loosely. I reckon we go big in the summer,and that will be it for 18 months when we'll need a Salah, VVD,Matip etc replacement. 

Can't see Chelsea or Arsenal spending big again in the next few windows.

34 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Define a lot.

A few hundred? A few thousand? 10’s of thousands with Anfield half empty?

IMO, those who walk away will be like a drop in the ocean.

I agree with this. It will hardly be noticed. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Define a lot.

A few hundred? A few thousand? 10’s of thousands with Anfield half empty?

IMO, those who walk away will be like a drop in the ocean.

Of course they will, plenty of people from all over the World are more than happy to take up the spare seats regardless of any moral dilemma.

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Been trying to think about this logically today - do we really need a some Middle Eastern brigade to keep us competitive with the sides at the top of the league?

I was thinking that some other American company buys in at, for example 20%. 

At a valuation of £3bn, that’s £600m.

The 600 million in that example is the price for someone to buy shares off FSG. It's their money at the point that deal completes and not the club's.

A percentage of it could go to invest in the club but I think it's unlikely it would be to fund a big transfer warchest.

8 hours ago, Mook said:

Of course they will, plenty of people from all over the World are more than happy to take up the spare seats regardless of any moral dilemma.

People are going to stop supporting us?

Giving up smack would be easier.

There will be a very, very small number who walk away. It won’t be noticeable.

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

People are going to stop supporting us?

Giving up smack would be easier.

There will be a very, very small number who walk away. It won’t be noticeable.

I think you're missing my point.

The stadium will still be full but there will be a number of good Reds who will walk away over time. It might not be noticable overnight but the soul of the club will be eroded & a lot of people would feel any success will be hollow.

Personally, I found it very easy to stop going to the games when they brought VAR in and will find it even easier to forget about Football completely if some oil state (for example) buys the club.

Modern Football is a fucking circus.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I think you're missing my point.

The stadium will still be full but there will be a number of good Reds who will walk away over time. It might not be noticable overnight but the soul of the club will be eroded & a lot of people would feel any success will be hollow.

Personally, I found it very easy to stop going to the games when they brought VAR in and will find it even easier to forget about Football completely if some oil state (for example) buys the club.

Modern Football is a fucking circus.

I agree with this.  It won't be 100,000s of fans turning their backs overnight, it'd be a drip drip.

I would never ever miss a single Liverpool match that was on telly (and with us having televised 3pm Saturday kick offs in Ireland, Liverpool were on pretty much every week) but as a result of having young kids, I now miss a lot of matches.  I'm standing on the sidelines at an under 6s GAA thing or at swimming lessons or whatever when Liverpool are playing.  And whereas a few years ago that annoyed me, now I don't care.  If we end up owned by someone like Saudi, then I'll  have no problem turning my back almost completely. I'll always check the score and will have a pang of happiness when we win or a pang of sadness when we lose, but that has significantly diminished in recent years as I see the game get more and more into the realms of the absurd, and I now don't think it'd be too difficult to leave it all behind,  A horrible state owned sportswashing circus that is throwing hundreds of millions at it just for fun would make it very easy for me to jib it off once and for all.

• Upvote 4

Understandable how you feel Johnny, I share two ST’s between my two kids and myself, and there’s been more than once where I’ve wondered about going, especially when the chance has been there to look after one of my two grandkids and let the two kids go when it’s been my turn.

I like to think we are still a proper club, even though we’ve been rinsed over the years, and although FSG are running a tight ship (with the emphasis seemingly on tight) they have at least taken us back up to a position in European football where we are respected, whereas with H&G we were destined for Evertonland.

Exactly what would happen should we be taken over is pure conjecture until it’s known who the new owners are, but given what is happening to other clubs I don’t think it’ll be pretty.

Have to say that in my case, I don’t know if I’d have the bollocks to walk away, it’s in the blood now and would be very difficult to do.

In a perverse way though, I hope I have to face that decision fairly soon, before we get left behind and stranded in mid-table and with no Jurgen Klopp.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

@Mook I’m not missing your point. I agree some will walk away, it’ll be minimal.

Which leads me to…

@JohnnyH & @coachpotato Unfortunately that’s called getting older and having other commitments. 

Have to agree.. I've been less this season because my daughter is in her final year at Uni and funds have been diverted there, however, my nephew (who I share my ST with) is 28 and single and travels home and away (lucky bastard!!)... damn getting old and having other commitments... it's proper shit!! 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I see King Power have written off £194m of Leicesters debt.

Just written it off.

Finance in Football is just incomprehensible      

No they haven't, it literally tells you what they've done in any article about it.

The debt was in the form of a loan by the company that owns Leicester and they converted it to equity.

13 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

No they haven't, it literally tells you what they've done in any article about it.

The debt was in the form of a loan by the company that owns Leicester and they converted it to equity.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12800602/leicester-citys-194m-debt-written-off-by-king-power-shows-commitment-after-criticism

Seems fairly straightforward to me

Sorry I didn't account for the fuck wittery of Sky Sports, it's the internal debts between parent company and the club, external loans haven't been touched and they've not been written off they've been converted to shares.

Still good for Leicester's books but not quite the grand gesture Sky are reporting it as.

ESPN

Leicester City chairman has paid the outstanding debt of the Premier League club to its parent King Power International (KPI) by converting more than £194 million ($239.03m) in loans into equity, the club said on Wednesday.

Reuters

King Power International (KPI) by converting more than 194 million pounds ($239.03 million) in loans into equity, it said on Wednesday.

Express

he Thai businessman has relieved the club of its outstanding debts to parent company King Power with a debt-to-equity conversion,

The Athletic

Leicester City's £194million debts to parent company King Power ... owned the club since 2010, has converted the existing debt into equity.

Sport Business

owed by the Premier League club to his family's parent company King Power International (KPI) by converting the debt into equity.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

@Mook I’m not missing your point. I agree some will walk away, it’ll be minimal.

Which leads me to…

@JohnnyH & @coachpotato Unfortunately that’s called getting older and having other commitments. 

Aye but a lot of these older supporters, who know what the club is/was all about will be replaced by selfie stick-type fucking whoppers. This is happening already but I think it would be accelerated by an oil state takeover.

So the latest name drop is Power International Holdings, a pair of Qatari brothers worth about £27b.

On the face of it (Wikipedia) they appear to be working with the UN to assist with human and women’s rights. But a few people have linked to a Times article accusing them of funnelling money to Al Nursa in Syria.

Fn6581tX0AAzUyJ?format=jpg&name=large

46 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Which leads me to…

No,it's not mate. I have a mate who,up until his stroke which means he will be lucky to ever attend a game,has 5 kids and a few Grandkids yet didnt miss a home game for years. We both have the same commitments and had similar incomes but I chose to walk away from forking out 50 a home game while he continued and still watches every game online or telly. I think its far more nuanced than just having other commitments.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Aye but a lot of these older supporters, who know what the club is/was all about will be replaced by selfie stick-type fucking whoppers. This is happening already but I think it would be accelerated by an oil state takeover.

Ultimately that transition is going to happen regardless, the speed of it is what will change.

Man City, for example, has seen it happen relatively quickly because they started with a smaller fan base.