You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Paul

18 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

If only there was a classic Spider-Man villain that had just magically arrived in the MCU...

Not sure how they fit him into this film, in his current guise, as an outright villain. Unless Hardy is bailing on the character and they're using this film to pass it on to someone new (which is a lot to pack in to an already stuffed film). We might see a cameo.

Vulture has already been introduced and keeps being referenced so it could end up being him returning, alternatively they introduced Scorpion in the first film so maybe him.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Not sure how they fit him into this film, in his current guise, as an outright villain. Unless Hardy is bailing on the character and they're using this film to pass it on to someone new (which is a lot to pack in to an already stuffed film). We might see a cameo.

Vulture has already been introduced and keeps being referenced so it could end up being him returning, alternatively they introduced Scorpion in the first film so maybe him.

True. Lots of choices and Keaton has already shown up in the trailer for Morbius.

6 hours ago, RedKnight said:

If only there was a classic Spider-Man villain that had just magically arrived in the MCU...

Wait for one of the post credits scenes is the rumour that’s going around.

Throwing Venom in this from the off as a villain wouldn’t work, without a little more build up and reason for him to go after Spider-Man.

However, there are more characters in this film they haven’t revealed yet in either trailer. I guess they are saving a few more surprises for when it releases. 

Without doubt I’m seeing this midnight on the14th/15th. Have a feeling it’ll explode and spoilers will be unavoidable. 

They can only pull the Infinity War trailer trick so many times before people can spot it.

The scene with Spiderman swinging towards Electro, Sand Man and Lizard with 2 of the three villains clearly heading for 2 different targets isn't the best work Marvel has ever done. 

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

They can only pull the Infinity War trailer trick so many times before people can spot it.

The scene with Spiderman swinging towards Electro, Sand Man and Lizard with 2 of the three villains clearly heading for 2 different targets isn't the best work Marvel has ever done. 

And in the Brazilian version of the trailer the Lizard looks to be hit by someone that’s been CGI’d out in that same scene.  

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched Spider-Man - No Way Home and that’s easily one of the best MCU Films. 

It has a few moments on par with Endgame, without going into why. Some of the villains did feel underused but I can understand why as there are a lot of supporting cast to pack into this film.

My advice? See it before some of the major bits are spoiled for you and see it in a packed cinema if you can / are comfortable doing so. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Just watched Spider-Man - No Way Home and that’s easily one of the best MCU Films. 

It has a few moments on par with Endgame, without going into why. Some of the villains did feel underused but I can understand why as there are a lot of supporting cast to pack into this film.

My advice? See it before some of the major bits are spoiled for you and see it in a packed cinema if you can / are comfortable doing so. 

Going later with my 12yo, he hadn't seen the first three fils so we watched them over last weekend. Can't wait.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Aventus said:

With some of the old baddies showing up, is it necessary to watch the old films before this? 

I would say it’s worth having seen them as there are quite a lot of call back moments of major meaning to some of the characters. 

If you leave it too long to see it some things could be ruined for you. 

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

I would say it’s worth having seen them as there are quite a lot of call back moments of major meaning to some of the characters. 

If you leave it too long to see it some things could be ruined for you. 

People are already posting videos on YouTube that they've captured in the cinema. I can't sit on the comfortably on the loo now flicking through YouTube as I might see spoilers. It's all become a bit too nervy.

7 hours ago, Juniper said:

Just got back from watching it and agree that it's very good. I think some of the recent marvel films didn't hit the mark and felt a bit tiresome but No Way Home feels fresh and it's done incredibly well incorporating the multi-verse which could have ended up a complete mess.

Don’t know about best marvel film but it’s easily the best Spider-Man movie.  At no point did I even think of love a smoke now, which is rare for me in the cinema.

Spiderman shows up in the venom 2 end credit scene.  There’s two end credits scenes here, first is a must.  Second is nothing we don’t know but pretty cool.

I can see why some regular film reviewers might have not given this massively high scores as it's a bit sloppy at times but for anyone who's a Marvel or Spidey fan then this was terrific. Again executed with great skill and it was really well done with the old guys coming back into it. The second Spider-Man in particular was done dirty by bad films but he was a good Parker and he showed that again here. Loved that they've folded Daredevil properly back in with this and Hawkeye, the cliffhanger there dropping perfectly for this.

Tremendous fun and the end credits stings were both good too.

• Upvote 1

I went to see Spider-Man today. I mostly thought it was good.

IMO, there was a bit too much “bantz” at times (although some of it mocking the McGuire & Garfield films was genuinely funny), the second act started to sag a bit before a spoilery event and I agree with what others have said about some of the villains being under used. 

That being said, the action & effects are great, the story (mostly) makes sense, it was good seeing the past characters and all the actors certainly brought the required emotional heft.

I forgot how much I loved Alfred Molina’s Doc Ock from 2004. He’s surely the best Marvel villain there has been. 

Not sure how I feel about the eventual introduction of Venom. He was a shite character in Spider-Man 3 and I don’t like the first Tom Hardy film at all (not seen the second). Doesn’t seem like Hardy will be in the MCU so I assume they are going down a different avenue.

The venom thing is slightly baffling.

I can see that the Tom Hardy venom is a good guy and hasn’t got much of a reason to go after Spider-Man so it partly makes sense why they need another version, but they are essentially rebooting Venom so soon after launching him again.

Then also continue with Tom Hardy’s now established version in another universe? 

Part of me wishes they just leave it (and Venom

is one of my favourite Marvel characters of all time)

11 hours ago, Juniper said:

I can see that the Tom Hardy venom is a good guy and hasn’t got much of a reason to go after Spider-Man so it partly makes sense why they need another version, but they are essentially rebooting Venom so soon after launching him again.

Isn't there something in the comics about Scorpion getting the Venom gloop?

Scorpion is still an open thread from Homecoming and the fact the gloop is missing in Mexico before Hardy vanishes again, maybe builds to this.