You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How much sleep do you get/need?

I need about 8 and often get about that. I'm an early riser (fnar) and I usually wake up naturally between 6 and 7am, once I'm awake then I rarely go back to sleep. I'm terrible if woken up though, if my natural sleep cycle is broken then I'm really sluggish. Only really happens if the wife's alarm goes off before I wake up.

I used to be a bad sleeper but have made several changes to my sleeping environment and habits over the last couple of years which have helped no end, so I sleep pretty well generally. Apart from the last couple of weeks, since a course of steroids have caused mild insomnia, I'm still getting 5/6 hours but it's a bitch. Coupled with fatigue it's a horrible, contradictory bitch.

People say you should try to get a minimum of 8 hours a night and have a routine that makes it easier. Nowadays, people are often on their tablet or phone before going to sleep, but probably the best thing you can do is remove the TV from your bedroom.

According to the National Sleep Foundation (NSF). Yet millions of people do not get enough sleep and many suffer from lack of sleep. Everyone’s individual sleep needs vary. In general, most healthy adults are built for 16 hours of wakefulness and need an average of eight hours of sleep a night. However, some individuals are able to function without sleepiness or drowsiness after as little as six hours of sleep. Others can’t perform at their peak unless they’ve slept ten hours. And, contrary to common myth, the need for sleep doesn’t decline with age but the ability to sleep for six to eight hours at one time may be reduced.

naps are the way to go.

hardly ever get a decent sleep at night because of the cats, but always try to claw it back with a one hour nap mid-day.

i realize this is difficult for most, but countries that respect the siesta have it right.

• Upvote 3